2023/24 Ben Godfrey

In a Dyche set up (limited attacking responsibility), arguably our best right back, our second best left back, and possibly our third best centre back.

Not saying much, and obviously we need better at some point, but we’d end up spending £15-£20m, to buy an identical replacement, with all the cash and PSR nonsense that entails.

When? He's 27 in Jan
His continued progress under Dyche and after long-covid recovery. As I have said before, he has pace and power and Dyche obviously sees something in him to make him our first choice RB at the end of the season, granted the pool is not that big but it is still Seamus, Patterson and Young he is keeping out

There is a reason "big" clubs are watching him

In a Dyche set up (limited attacking responsibility), arguably our best right back, our second best left back, and possibly our third best centre back.

Not saying much, and obviously we need better at some point, but we’d end up spending £15-£20m, to buy an identical replacement, with all the cash and PSR nonsense that entails.
Indeed! young would end up getting more games :(

I also believe that Beto can cover any potential departure of DCL in both time spent injured and flattering to deceive.

Apart from Pickford and Branthwaite I am quite happy for anyone if sold for the right money and a replacement found. For Pickford and Branthwaite, I would want silly money and a suitable replacement plus overall strengthening of the team and financial circumstances of the club.

Anyway, Godfrey, meh.
Agree with some of that, mostly your second paragraph.

His continued progress under Dyche and after long-covid recovery. As I have said before, he has pace and power and Dyche obviously sees something in him to make him our first choice RB at the end of the season, granted the pool is not that big but it is still Seamus, Patterson and Young he is keeping out

There is a reason "big" clubs are watching him

Which big clubs are actually watching him? He's been here 4 years and no one has bid for him once.

Of our ‘right backs’ that have played a decent number of minutes this season, he has conceded the least goals per game.

Considering we dont expect any attacking from our fullbacks, he is the best option we have as has the best defensive record of them.
If this is so, then big, fast and not much else may not the end of the world - but its a pretty poor show really

He's one of the players we should be looking at moving on, not extending his contract. He's very poor technically and never met his potential.

Think that grand mate, if we are a normal football club, but the squad is paper thin and anyone we loose not for a big fee we are likely have to replace for a bigger won, which stops us improving elsewhere or makes it more likely we have to cash in on Branthwaite.

The more stability the better as far as im concerned at the moment and incrementally build on what we have.

The cost of loosing these lads is going to be more then what we will get.

Squad numbers are a worry, reflecting on the season i think part of the period we went without winning was down to depth and lads being injured or gassed or we couldn't influence a game by making changes.

We need more players in my opinion not less.

If this is so, then big, fast and not much else may not the end of the world - but its a pretty poor show really
It is a pretty poor show, but our full backs only contributed directly to 4 goals this season. Myko scored 2 and Patterson assisted 2.

They are expected to stay narrow to the box and keep defensive formation. And I can’t see Dyche changing that next season.