2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he settles properly and calms down a bit and shows a bit more composure he will be absolutely boss.

That aside he’s doing a pretty good job as it is and him and Digne have the makings of a very good pairing.

From my hazy memory now of Saturday we did seem to focus a lot of the play down the left hand side in the first half so he is always involved and certainly seeing plenty of the ball.

His decision making and little flicks and stray passes will definitely improve as the season goes on.

Not sure Sunday is going to be the game for him. It´ll be very intense with tackles flying in. Don´t think he will cope with that well right now.

Not sure Sunday is going to be the game for him. It´ll be very intense with tackles flying in. Don´t think he will cope with that well right now.

Gone are the days of blood and thunder derbies , they’re not the same anymore, saying that if we are winning I fully expect them lot to snap our players, we done ok against Chelsea and they were kicking us a lot more than the RS will imo

Good description of him earlier, "he flatters to deceive". Needs more time to adjust and maybe he will become a real asset. The derby game might be too fierce a tempo for him at this stage of his development as a Prem player. Maybe Lookman should get the derby slot.

is it just me or is this boy afraid of his own shadow?
I think you're saying this purely because he's smaller and less physically strong than other players. From what I've seen he has a hard working tenacity about him to go with his flair and technique. He'll be fine in the derby imo. He just needs to stop rushing a few things, this will come with time on the field. We need to keep in mind this is a totally new league to what he's used to and I think he's settled in fine and the best is to come.

Think he needs to stick to the basics a bit more because it's clear that the ability is there with him. He just tries to do the hard things too often at the moment.

Hopefully Silva will have a word with him and he'll show a bit more composure.

One thing I would like to see from him a bit more when driving forward on the rare occasions he goes through the centre is to have a shot from 20-25 yards. He always looks to play a clever pass, but I reckon he has the shooting ability to at least trouble the keeper with a long range effort.

I'd like to see him do well. We should always go for this type of player. However, he's shaping up more like Aiden McGeady than Andrei Kanchelskis at the moment. I dont see any composure, and for such an experienced player, that's staggering.

He needs dropping to the bench for a while.

Like it's been said above, once he settles, he'll be a cracking player. He's not played since March (I think), and move to a new country, so needs time to adapt. So many top players from abroad haven't give their best till the 2nd season.

I'd like to see him do well. We should always go for this type of player. However, he's shaping up more like Aiden McGeady than Andrei Kanchelskis at the moment. I dont see any composure, and for such an experienced player, that's staggering.

I’m surprised at you Dave
You love a proper footballer
He’s a proper footballer along with Gomes , Siggy and Digne
You can never have too many proper footballers in your team
I agree the lad has flattered to deceive but I believe given time on the pitch and not on the bench he will come good
He proved with Brazil (WC Semi final excepted ) and in the CL particularly against City that he has the talent and the temperament for the big stage
He just needs time to settle in a new country, a new team and a new way of playing

I think he started off well but has faded a bit recently. For the Derby I wouldn't mind seeing Richarlison back on the left and Tosun up top.

That's exactly what he does'nt need though, he has not played since March, never plays a full 90 mins. As someone working within Sports Science i can see that within the first 5 mins of every game he has played how lacking in match practice he is, just by looking his body language and the way he moves about the pitch and his general sharpness. Sure he has some great touches and some nice ideas on the ball, but he's not quite there yet i don't think. I don't think he needs dropping though, if anyone is going to be dropped it's got to be Walcott imo, i think he just plays with his own agenda most of the time.

I’m surprised at you Dave
You love a proper footballer
He’s a proper footballer along with Gomes , Siggy and Digne
You can never have too many proper footballers in your team
I agree the lad has flattered to deceive but I believe given time on the pitch and not on the bench he will come good
He proved with Brazil (WC Semi final excepted ) and in the CL particularly against City that he has the talent and the temperament for the big stage
He just needs time to settle in a new country, a new team and a new way of playing
I said I'd like him to do well. I just dont think ut wide he'll do it. He's short a yard of pace and he's not strong enough. He needs another position.

Last edited:
That's exactly what he does'nt need though, he has not played since March, never plays a full 90 mins. As someone working within Sports Science i can see that within the first 5 mins of every game he has played how lacking in match practice he is, just by looking his body language and the way he moves about the pitch and his general sharpness. Sure he has some great touches and some nice ideas on the ball, but he's not quite there yet i don't think. I don't think he needs dropping though, if anyone is going to be dropped it's got to be Walcott imo, i think he just plays with his own agenda most of the time.
Either Walcott or Bernard need dropping.

Bernard is fit by now. He just looks (surprisngly) overawed by the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back