2023/24 Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little disheartening to see the clamour to flog a player who has shown glimpses of what he is potentially capable of after a few appearances in what’s widely regarded as the toughest league in the world.
So many players have come in and been average or worse while coming to terms with the EPL.
He might not get better but he’s got to have this season to prove himself surely?
He’s got the strength and the pace by the looks of things. He’s shown he can find the net in Italy, so if he can put it all together in this league he’ll be a decent striker imho.

A little disheartening to see the clamour to flog a player who has shown glimpses of what he is potentially capable of after a few appearances in what’s widely regarded as the toughest league in the world.
So many players have come in and been average or worse while coming to terms with the EPL.
He might not get better but he’s got to have this season to prove himself surely?
He’s got the strength and the pace by the looks of things. He’s shown he can find the net in Italy, so if he can put it all together in this league he’ll be a decent striker imho.

Think it's more worrying we could go into the season with just Maupay and Chermitti up top.

If you really look at the numbers based on how many minutes they’ve each played, Beto was almost exactly as productive as DCL. If he’d played the same minutes, he’d also have scored 7. But if he’d been given more minutes and consistency, he might have had a breakthrough.
I think everyone understands that there was a lot of people wanting him to play more last season for exactly that reason but theres a lot more to being a striker at this level than just scoring and it was the rest of his game was concerning not so much his goalscoring.

Not just us mate , dyche was bringing chemmuti on before him final few games of the season , way we’ve wasted money over the years if we can ever get anything back for a player who looks like he’s not going to be good enough then take it

Not just us mate , dyche was bringing chemmuti on before him final few games of the season , way we’ve wasted money over the years if we can ever get anything back for a player who looks like he’s not going to be good enough then take it
I agree to an extent, I’m just not quite there with a final judgement on his ability just yet.
What he’s worth now and in 12m if there’s no improvement isn’t going to be hugely different imo.
Apart from anything we’re advocating selling him for a loss and letting the same people who signed him find someone better for less.

I agree with you regarding Beto and his style. It's totally different to DCL and he's suffering from what Lukaku used to (and still does) at times where people see a big centre forward (and usually due to racial stereotyping) think they're a target man when both Beto and Lukaku are players that play better with it at their feet compared to DCL who is the guy who wins aerial balls and knocks it down to others etc. I think Chermiti so far to me seems like a bit of a hybrid between both. Technically capable (likely due to his Sporting upbringing), but also of the DCL mould which is capable of being a target.

I don't think Beto suits a Dyche side or the way the Dyche side is currently playing at least.

Emphasis has to be on the bolded bit imo - the way it currently plays. At the moment, we've got that option of playing long to DCL, but Dyche has spoken before about the difference between playing direct and playing long:

“I’ve had a chat with Dele Alli, a great fella. He’s been through a lot. I spoke with him, and I said, ‘Dele, what are your thoughts?’ and he replied, ‘I think you need to clarify with these players when you discuss direct play. I think they believe you mean kicking it forwards, but I know that’s not what you intend.

I think long term, Dyche and Thelwell are looking at slowly moving away from playing long and moving towards playing direct. Hence N'Diaye signing, Gnonto and Lindstrom links, and so on. That'll help Beto a lot - and moreover, remember how bad DCL used to be in the air before a few years of coaching? I think there's a lot of room to grow for Beto, and I hope he stays.

Emphasis has to be on the bolded bit imo - the way it currently plays. At the moment, we've got that option of playing long to DCL, but Dyche has spoken before about the difference between playing direct and playing long:

“I’ve had a chat with Dele Alli, a great fella. He’s been through a lot. I spoke with him, and I said, ‘Dele, what are your thoughts?’ and he replied, ‘I think you need to clarify with these players when you discuss direct play. I think they believe you mean kicking it forwards, but I know that’s not what you intend.

I think long term, Dyche and Thelwell are looking at slowly moving away from playing long and moving towards playing direct. Hence N'Diaye signing, Gnonto and Lindstrom links, and so on. That'll help Beto a lot - and moreover, remember how bad DCL used to be in the air before a few years of coaching? I think there's a lot of room to grow for Beto, and I hope he stays.

I hope you're right.

I agree to an extent, I’m just not quite there with a final judgement on his ability just yet.
What he’s worth now and in 12m if there’s no improvement isn’t going to be hugely different imo.
Apart from anything we’re advocating selling him for a loss and letting the same people who signed him find someone better for less.

If he has another season like the last we'll take a bigger loss.

It's disappointing that we cannot back our players at times. He didn't really have a fair crack of the whip to judge him on, so to see so many turn on him reflects badly on us. We've had a load of players come in and do hardly anything in the first year that went on to become decent for us who knows if this will be one of those cases.

That said if the manager doesn't want him and we get the majority back then fair enough, if he stays then we should be fully behind him.

It's disappointing that we cannot back our players at times. He didn't really have a fair crack of the whip to judge him on, so to see so many turn on him reflects badly on us. We've had a load of players come in and do hardly anything in the first year that went on to become decent for us who knows if this will be one of those cases.

That said if the manager doesn't want him and we get the majority back then fair enough, if he stays then we should be fully behind him.
He's VERY popular at games don't mistake people moaning on message boards for him not being supported its a totally different thing.

If we sell for £20mil if will be a loss but a PSR profit and PSR benefit.

Also as there was no cash down it would be the equivilent of a loan payment.

Interesting to see if theres something in this as if we do keep him another season i suspect his value to drop substantially if he doesnt hit 12+ goals

I feel that one of the senior forwards goes, DCL or Beto. I suspect if Newcastle sell, they will come back in for Dom - we go for Broja and Beto stays as a senior striker.

If DCL stays we could sell Beto - and go for Broja.

Think our forwards come the end of the window will be Chermitti, Broja and either one of DCL or Beto.

Last edited:
It's called recognizing that you made a mistake and cutting your losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back