Match Thread Brentford v Everton - Match Report, MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we knocked the ball around nicely at times in the first half. Once Onana got up to pace he combined well with Iwobi. Second half Brentford did what they do to every team. Load the opponent's box, get the ball in and feed off the seconds. Disappointing not to hang on but a draw was about right. Gordon took his goal well but gave MOTM to Iwobi again.

…a serious consideration if Holgate is out for a lengthy spell.

Could depend on who we bring in this week too.

Even so, we could still go with:

GK: Pickford
RB: Patterson
LB: Mykolenko
CB: Coady
CB: Tarkowski
DM: Davies / Warrington
CM: Onana
CM: Iwobi
RW: Gray
LW: Gordon
ST: Rondon

If we’re insistent on a back three, I’d prefer to see Coleman at RCB than Keane.

If we’re insistent on a back three, I’d prefer to see Coleman at RCB than Keane.
Or Myko with Vinagre at LWB

Perhaps pertinent to note that Newcastle took forever to win their first game this time last season and ended up finishing the season strongly. We look a lot better than what Newcastle did this time last year..

I think we probably will go with Coleman at RCB if Holgate is out. In practice, I think we are quite close to 4 at the back quite a lot anyway as Patterson plays so high up the RCB has to shuffle over, so it's sort of half right back half centre back anyway. I still don't think we should move away from the defensive setup we have as when you have centre backs like Tarks and Coady with good distribution it creates good long passing angles, and that's something we're using well. If we want to get closer to a 3 man midfield I think it will be switching from 3421 to 3412, with Iwobi in front of Onana and hopefully Gana.

Disappointed, but not worried.

Up until our goal we dominated the game and were miles ahead of Brentford in every department. Maybe the need for a win got to the players, because we gifted the control of the game to Brentford after going one - nil up.

Last season is still fresh in the minds of the players (and us, the supporters) and it takes time to pull the players from the horrids of the last season. Once we get rid of that nightmare that still haunts us, we will be fine.

When a draw away at Brentford feels like a disappointment we know we are heading in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back