Bryan Oviedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good no matter who does it

It wasn't just the pass

He had to get there first and did a cracking job

You downplay it because you want a reason to slate him

What he did wasn't that good. Not bad but I was at the game about 30ft away from it happening and I'm not even sure I said ''Well played'', let alone talk about it like he'd dribbled past there whole team doing a handstand over a year later!

Also, the last but is bollocks because I quite like the lad I think you'll find.

Paranoid.

Oviedo hasn't shown anything to step in Baines shoes at fullback. If we want to be competing Barry should play there. Something which he did for a long time in his early career. He has thousands of miles experience in the premier league and didn't look out of depth when he moved there on Saturday. He looked solid.

I don't understand how you can show anything when you don't get on the pitch! He's played 5 mins here 12 mins there, 1 friendly - he needs to be given a chance and a run of games before we will know if he's good enough. Some people were ready to sell Baines not long after he joined as he didn't get a look in, the phrases "not good enough", "too lightweight", "hope we can recoup our £5mill" come to mind. Look at him now, he's one of the best LB's in Europe. Im not saying Oviedo will be anywhere near Baines' level but lets not be writing him off after 1 or 2 fleeting appearances.

I don't understand how you can show anything when you don't get on the pitch! He's played 5 mins here 12 mins there, 1 friendly - he needs to be given a chance and a run of games before we will know if he's good enough. Some people were ready to sell Baines not long after he joined as he didn't get a look in, the phrases "not good enough", "too lightweight", "hope we can recoup our £5mill" come to mind. Look at him now, he's one of the best LB's in Europe. Im not saying Oviedo will be anywhere near Baines' level but lets not be writing him off after 1 or 2 fleeting appearances.

He's had plenty of chances. He's not upto it. Especially at left back when we are wanting European football.

I think it was BMG who made a good point to you, Mikey;

Fair enough, people haven't seen enough to write Bryan off... but periodically you haven't seen enough of our Bry to validate your current opinion of him.

However I'm partially in agreement with you, the lad deserves a chance.

This.

He squared a ball 10 yards. Sign him up Guardiola ffs!

This comment and some of the others on here about his performance in that game are simply insane. We don't need him to be David Alaba, we don't need him to take over and be our next Leighton Baines and make the World XI, we just need him to play left back for a few games. The Norwich game performance shows that he can hold the ball up, pick out an intelligent pass, find players with long balls on the break, cross the ball and track back to defend. It doesn't say much about his defensive ability, but only someone like Martinez who sees what he's capable of on the training ground will be able to make that determination.

And to the point about Mirallas, if he had made that assist I would have taken it as a piece of evidence supporting the claim that he deserves to play, and I take it the same way for Oviedo.

Gareth Barry has arguably been our most important player this season playing in the centre of the pitch, it would be exceedingly dumb to move him out of position because Oviedo hasn't proven that he's world class in ~3 chances.

If Martinez chooses to leave him out of the team, I'll trust his judgment and assume there are weaknesses to his game that we don't get to see. But none of you actually know that, many just seem perfectly comfortable assuming he's garbage despite little evidence to support that, and slightly more evidence to the contrary.

This comment and some of the others on here about his performance in that game are simply insane. We don't need him to be David Alaba, we don't need him to take over and be our next Leighton Baines and make the World XI, we just need him to play left back for a few games. The Norwich game performance shows that he can hold the ball up, pick out an intelligent pass, find players with long balls on the break, cross the ball and track back to defend. It doesn't say much about his defensive ability, but only someone like Martinez who sees what he's capable of on the training ground will be able to make that determination.

And to the point about Mirallas, if he had made that assist I would have taken it as a piece of evidence supporting the claim that he deserves to play, and I take it the same way for Oviedo.

Gareth Barry has arguably been our most important player this season playing in the centre of the pitch, it would be exceedingly dumb to move him out of position because Oviedo hasn't proven that he's world class in ~3 chances.

If Martinez chooses to leave him out of the team, I'll trust his judgment and assume there are weaknesses to his game that we don't get to see. But none of you actually know that, many just seem perfectly comfortable assuming he's garbage despite little evidence to support that, and slightly more evidence to the contrary.

Yes, just like in the derby when we scored 2 goals and looked much better going forward. His partnership with McCarthy isn't good for scoring goals. Keep banging on about it!

Hes our back up left back. Our regular back up is unavailable therefore you play him. Lets not try and get too cute.

I dont really know how people can have an opinion on Oviedo one way or another. Hes not really done anything or had a chance to.

Maybe they're scared of the 'unknown'?

In the past, we've not rated Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Jags and Gibson off the top of my head and after some time became/become top players in our side. We bought him for a reason, give him a go. Like I said earlier, he's not going to cost us the league.

In the past, we've not rated Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Jags and Gibson off the top of my head and after some time became/become top players in our side. We bought him for a reason, give him a go. Like I said earlier, he's not going to cost us the league.

I agree, it's down to you now Bryan!

Really, mate? I was being serious, I don't think anyone else in the game could do that and he should be at Bayern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back