Can we stop the Mourinho talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what has to be borne in mind also, is that the London/Manchester based media DO NOT want a return to the mid-1980s, when both Merseyside teams reigned supreme. With Klopp acorss the park, and if we were to get Mourinho, there would be a real danger of the two Merseyside teams being serious challengers to the future domination of the top flight enjoyed in recent years by Chelski, Arsenal, and the two Manc teams. The media will do everything they can to play down such a move for him...

I'm not thinking what if he fails. I really don't think he is the right fit for Everton. Don't forget, he got wasn't exactly great this season at Chelsea. Yes won the League last season, but the team hit its ceiling and nose dived after that. All I'm saying is there are no guarantees of success, just because he is the Special One as he calls himself.
Bolded the important bit.

I'm confused by the 'not the right fit' shouts. The man has been successful everywhere he has ever gone. Most of the criticism against him is either very easily disproved or explicable. There are people here writing off the most successful active manager in world football because he doesn't 'develop the youth enough', all while ignoring that 'the youth' generally aren't good enough to win everything. Mourinho plays the players that are good enough to achieve his goals. If that's the youngest player, then that's who he'll go with. It normally isn't. Because Mourinho demands work. And a lot of youth players have arrogance and mentality issues that get in the way of the single minded commitment to the team and the victory.

Would it be great to get Sir Alex next? Well yes, obviously. But is it remotely likely? No - Simeone is possibly the closest thing and even then...

Mourinho is the best (as judged by success literally everywhere he goes) active manager in the world. If that's a 'bad fit' chances are your parameters need to be evaluated.

I think what has to be borne in mind also, is that the London/Manchester based media DO NOT want a return to the mid-1980s, when both Merseyside teams reigned supreme. With Klopp acorss the park, and if we were to get Mourinho, there would be a real danger of the two Merseyside teams being serious challengers to the future domination of the top flight enjoyed in recent years by Chelski, Arsenal, and the two Manc teams. The media will do everything they can to play down such a move for him...

Just rubbish this sort of stuff tbh. The media generally do more stories on the most succesful and popular teams. Also, plenty of Blues in the media - the BBC chief football editor Phil McNulty for starters. Andy Hunter etc.

Can't be arsed with this chip on the shoulder stuff.

Anyone old enough to remember, when Blackburn won the league? It was a tem built by buying a team. It didn't address the next generation. It was all about there and then. They quickly broke up and we're relegated a few seasons later and have stayed there. We might have one or two good years, but the Special One never stays anywhere long. Then what.

Shouldn't the media just care about what gets the most page views?

In the end, they just want Mourinho in the PL. United is best for them due to the huge fanbase + Mourinho = more views. If Utd doesn't happen they'll be ecstatic if he comes here as they'll get more stories, more interest, more page views, more television viewers, more options of what to write about. But they're not going to punt it now when United seems much more likely because it behooves them to not be seen as clueless if he ends up doing the likely thing.

Anyone old enough to remember, when Blackburn won the league? It was a tem built by buying a team. It didn't address the next generation. It was all about there and then. They quickly broke up and we're relegated a few seasons later and have stayed there. We might have one or two good years, but the Special One never stays anywhere long. Then what.
Then we have a billionaire owner, a new stadium, some silverware, and an attractive offer for a new manager and players? Instead of 'steadying' along and hoping to compete with Soton, Stoke, and WHam?

I'm not thinking what if he fails. I really don't think he is the right fit for Everton. Don't forget, he got wasn't exactly great this season at Chelsea. Yes won the League last season, but the team hit its ceiling and nose dived after that. All I'm saying is there are no guarantees of success, just because he is the Special One as he calls himself.
Mate if he's sh*t & leaves during his third season with us after winning the league cup & a title during that short period I'm in!!...far better position than Martinez, Moyes, Smith...etc have left us!

Just rubbish this sort of stuff tbh. The media generally do more stories on the most succesful and popular teams. Also, plenty of Blues in the media - the BBC chief football editor Phil McNulty for starters. Andy Hunter etc.

Can't be arsed with this chip on the shoulder stuff.

It's not rubbish, and it's not chip on the shoulder stuff at all.

I'm old enough to remember the 1970s, when all the media went on about was ManUre, included the famous season when they got off to a great start, and the Mirror said in October: 'Give them the title trophy now. It's a one-horse race'. Which later prompted the joke in Liverpool at the end of the season: What comes fourth in a one-horse race? That club was being rammed down our throats in the '70s by the media when the RS eclipsed them totally, and in the '80s when both Merseyside teams were eclipsing them. If you didin't live through it, then you cannot understand the situation; if you did live through it, then I'm totally surprised at your above reaction.

The media, and Sky in particular, are besotted with certain teams. If you can't see that, or have never understood that, then you have some catching up to do...

If we get a manager who is successful, there is always a risk of getting poached. Unless he's British then we only have to worry about the England Job.
Who ever we get has a major squad rebuild to do. That's just with the likes of Howard, Osman, Pienaar and Hibbert going. Then the likes of Kone and other fringe players who aren't good enough. It's a lot of new faces to bring in at once. I know they hardly play anymore, but they need to be replaced.

If we get a manager who is successful, there is always a risk of getting poached. Unless he's British then we only have to worry about the England Job.
Who ever we get has a major squad rebuild to do. That's just with the likes of Howard, Osman, Pienaar and Hibbert going. Then the likes of Kone and other fringe players who aren't good enough. It's a lot of new faces to bring in at once. I know they hardly play anymore, but they need to be replaced.

Get in the bin.

What a problem to have...

If this is happening, it will be down to how Moshiri sells it to him.

I just think that Jose's ego will win out and he'll hold out for a big name rather than risk his reputation on doing something special with us.

He is the special one is he not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back