Match Thread Carabao Cup: Bournemouth v Everton - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So just like Crystal Palace last year?

I understand why he changed the team, so Bournemouth don't get a look at the real team but most of these guys should be playing for their next contract.
You are joking with this comment

The number of people saying FL "threw the game" is baffling. Some people make it sound as if a former player with every trophy to his name didn't want to win the match.

He didn't "throw the game" by picking senior/squad players, he gave Prem experienced players like Keane/Mina/Holgate/Dacs/Davies etc the opportunity to go and show why they should be contenders for the first 11 most weeks. They failed miserably, only proving FL's post-game point about why they are not starting every week.

If Davies doesn't put the ball into orbit or Gordon doesn't head over the bar from 2 yards maybe it's a different outcome. Imagine being Chelsea's record scorer who bagged 15-20 a year watching misses like that, plus Dom & Iwobi's miss the week before, plus Gray & Onana's miss v Spurs. No wonder his hair is falling out.

The number of people saying FL "threw the game" is baffling. Some people make it sound as if a former player with every trophy to his name didn't want to win the match.

He didn't "throw the game" by picking senior/squad players, he gave Prem experienced players like Keane/Mina/Holgate/Dacs/Davies etc the opportunity to go and show why they should be contenders for the first 11 most weeks. They failed miserably, only proving FL's post-game point about why they are not starting every week.

If Davies doesn't put the ball into orbit or Gordon doesn't head over the bar from 2 yards maybe it's a different outcome. Imagine being Chelsea's record scorer who bagged 15-20 a year watching misses like that, plus Dom & Iwobi's miss the week before, plus Gray & Onana's miss v Spurs. No wonder his hair is falling out.
If you pick a team that hasn't a hope of winning then what else should people call it?

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one. The issues last night were self inflicted by our own manager and thats unacceptable

If you pick a team that hasn't a hope of winning then what else should people call it?

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one. The issues last night were self inflicted by our own manager and thats unacceptable
He didn't tell the team go out and lose. He didn't tell Davies and Gordon to miss sitters, or Holgate to simulate ice skating. I'm not saying there's not a question over team selection and it will be on his shoulders, but to say there was no hope of winning or it was a "thrown game" is just not true.

I’m not absolving the manager of blame but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was told to prioritise league safety over a cup run this season. If, and it’s an enormous if, we get 3 points on Saturday then you can maybe argue it was worth it to select the bunch of dossers that played last night.

in most seasons I'd agree with that, but there is a two month gap while a world is being played, play a few kids and a a couple coming back from injury. Eleven changes and no trophy in 27 years, just ridiculous mate.

I’m not absolving the manager of blame but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was told to prioritise league safety over a cup run this season. If, and it’s an enormous if, we get 3 points on Saturday then you can maybe argue it was worth it to select the bunch of dossers that played last night.
By who or whom?
Prioritise safety , my god ,midtable mediocrity is the aim?
May as well give up ,if that's the case.

True dat. Would have been 4-3 to Bournemouth. All well and good stating missed opportunities, but defensively, we still played Keane and Holgate. They were always going to score more than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.