CARABAO CUP DATES

Your off your head if you think the format we've just seen isn't a complete embarrassment and is swayed so heavily in the usual clubs favour, that they might as well just go straight to the QF and be done with the rest of us.
Where were you when the draw for the second round was swayed heavily in Everton's favour?

The second round draw was a lot more unfair than the third round draw. While Everton had a 13% chance to draw Premier League opposition, Palace, Leicester, Ipswich, West Ham, Brentford, Brighton, Southampton and Fulham had 23% chance to draw a fellow Premier League team.

With a proper draw, Everton wouldn't get to play Doncaster Reserves every year. Without help in the draw, none of us with care about the third round draw.

Where were you when the draw for the second round was swayed heavily in Everton's favour?

The second round draw was a lot more unfair than the third round draw. While Everton had a 13% chance to draw Premier League opposition, Palace, Leicester, Ipswich, West Ham, Brentford, Brighton, Southampton and Fulham had 23% chance to draw a fellow Premier League team.

With a proper draw, Everton wouldn't get to play Doncaster Reserves every year. Without help in the draw, none of us with care about the third round draw.

Where was I? I was watching the draw you muppet.

I'd be more than happy to draw any PL team home or away from the 2nd round onwards as thats how it should be.

The big teams always used to mess about with the carabao cup / league cup / Mickey Mouse cup or whatever you want to call it and make drastic changes

Remember arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd would literally field youth teams all the way to the semi’s in these competitions where you began starting taking notice of their youth players like Jeremy aliadiere, Florent sinama pongolle and macheda et al

Then guardiola came along and wanted to win everything and just fielded his best side in every cup game
Fair enough fielding weakned sides even let them into later rounds. That " farcical draw" is about protecting the brand of those clubs and sponsor gets their monies worth. Not about sport competition.

Kin hell lad give your head a wobble.

Let's be honest, the real problem here is the European football model. European cup football is seen by the people that matter, as the biggest earner and therefore must take precedence.

I would love a full reset on all of it. Champions league for league winners and runners up only and a straight knockout on an unseeded draw.

Uefa cup for the winners of the countries most prestigious cup competitions, straight knockout on an unseeded draw. I'd drop the runners up in there as well, unless they insisted on a Europa conference, then have that as runners up of national cup competitions, straight knockout on an unseeded draw.

Then all national cup competitions, straight knockout, unseeded draw.

It would see the spoils spread out a little more, increase the jeopardy and allow teams outside of the chosen few to compete in those competitions.

Unfortunately, that is against everything that the European model stands against now. It's really quite sad.

Hang on, we had to play Spurs in a league cup game 2 days after a league match. The likes of the rs, city, utd have enough depth to nearly name 2 teams so see if they like playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Sunday.

Your off your head if you think the format we've just seen isn't a complete embarrassment and is swayed so heavily in the usual clubs favour, that they might as well just go straight to the QF and be done with the rest of us.
I remember that week well as i was due to move house that sunday in 2009 - which we did, but i stayed in the old house with me by myself with just a cp and not a single other thing, to watch Everton come from 2 down but lose 3-2 in the end away to Bolton :lol: . The Tuesday match like you say was away to Spurs and on my Birthday. Plus the previous Thursday we have played a euro match away to Benfica. so we played away the Thursday/Sunday and Tuesday

The big teams always used to mess about with the carabao cup / league cup / Mickey Mouse cup or whatever you want to call it and make drastic changes

Remember arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd would literally field youth teams all the way to the semi’s in these competitions where you began starting taking notice of their youth players like Jeremy aliadiere, Florent sinama pongolle and macheda et al

Then guardiola came along and wanted to win everything and just fielded his best side in every cup game
Pep has respect for cup competitions, did the same with Barca and Bayern

Looking at the UEFA calender, it would only have been an 'issue' if an English team in the CL was drawn against an English team in the EL (due to the two Euro competitions being played a week after each other this season).

There would have been no problem with congestion if two English CL teams were drawn against each other, as they could have played their League Cup game during the week of the EL fixtures, and vise-versa if two English EL teams were drawn against each other, as they could have played during the CL week.

Therefore, it would have been MUCH fairer if all the balls were put into one pot as usual, and IF for example a CL team was drawn out first, and then an EL team was drawn to play them, then the EL team ball could have been put to one side, and another ball drawn out to see who plays the CL team.

The EL team are then put back in the pot and the draw continues. This would allow two CL teams OR two EL teams to play each if they were drawn against each other.

How they done the draw was purely and simply to keep the 'big' clubs in the competition for as long as possible with a higher chance of them getting an easier draw.

So we should be grateful we had a better chance of an easier draw because 6 teams got a bye?
It was always a slippery slope letting teams in Europe come in a round later. Never thought it would lead to fixing it even further when they do join.

They only did this after sky invented football.

Mid-late 70s onwards which is as far back as my memory goes, every team wanted to win it and to my recollection, no one fielded a weakened side,

They only did this after sky invented football.

Mid-late 70s onwards which is as far back as my memory goes, every team wanted to win it and to my recollection, no one fielded a weakened side,
They still do want to win it. Can tell that with what they field when they come up against each other in the later rounds or final. They just don't want their branding damaged by losing against so called smaller club.

They still do want to win it. Can tell that with what they field when they come up against each other in the later rounds or final. They just don't want their branding damaged by losing against so called smaller club.
Agreed. The bigger teams never fielded a seriously weakend team regardless who the opponents were, before the PL and ECL came along though.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back