CARABAO CUP DATES

They only did this after sky invented football.

Mid-late 70s onwards which is as far back as my memory goes, every team wanted to win it and to my recollection, no one fielded a weakened side,
Yup, the Football League Cup was almost as prestigious as the FA Cup back in the 1970s and 1980s. From when Swindon won it in 1969 - beating Arsenal - it was dubbed the People's Cup. Brian Clough and Bob Paisley - two of the greatest managers of all-time - absolutely hovered up this competition. Another great, Ron Saunders had a great record too. Luton's defeat of Arsenal in 1988 remains one of the all-time great cup finals in any competition.

As a child, the League Cup final was as memorable as the FA Cup final: Liverpool-West Ham in 1981, Liverpool-Spurs in 1982, Liverpool-United in 1983 when Ronnie Whelan and Norman Whiteside starred, and the all Merseyside edition announcing our arrival on the stage in 1984 were all huge events, easily comparable to the Spurs-QPR, United-Brighton, and Everton-Watford FA Cup finals of those seasons.

Younger people will think I have two heads typing this, but it's all true. This competition has been destroyed over the last 30 years...in much the same way the FA Cup itself has been.

Love peoples confidence in Southampton being a decent draw when we have literally lost every single game against a PL team scoring zero and conceding 7.

Any PL team is a terrible draw for us currently.
Same for them too. We are the better team and at home. So good draw.

Also gives them an opportunity to play the youth team against almost guaranteed weaker opposition. Helps their development.

No wonder they manage to get silly money for some of their players over the years (Brewster, Ibe etc.)

Pretty sure the majority of clubs prefer no extra time. All clubs rest players. Extra time is an advantage for the richest teams with the biggest squads.

You might have a point that clubs in Europe should not get a bye in the 2nd round, but that is not something new. Introduced 28 years ago.

Regarding seeding. You can argue Everton were seeded last drawing. Teams were divided between northern and southern sections. Everton being a northern team and Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd having a bye, Everton had a much less chance of drawing Premier League competition than southern teams. Luck of the draw? Nope. Corrupt?
This is a good post.

It’s not corruption or anything of the sort, it’s just stupidity from the organisers.

Absolutely right to call out the north south divide in the early rounds - with City, United, Liverpool always being in Europe, theres only 3 half decent sides in the northern part of the draw.

Why do the league cup do that? To alleviate traffic congestion -no joke, that’s the reason. It’s the flimsiest [Poor language removed] I have ever heard.

Chelsea playing tonight in Europe so can’t this week in the league - but pre season we know who is in qualifiers and who isn’t - so just give those teams a bye - Spurs, United, Liverpool, City, Villa and the scum all had their feet up this midweek.

I’m surprised that it’s the seeding part that has pissed people off and not the aforementioned - there is at least some joined up thinking behind the seeding, whereas the previous two rules are just plain mental.

Like I said yesterday though, the whole thing needs a rethink. If you’re in Europe you can’t play in the league cup. Get rid of the North/South bollox that massively favours the northern clubs given the current balance of the Prem and get rid of the 2 legged semi. Give it a guaranteed Conference league place and it will be in much ruder health as a comp.

They only did this after sky invented football.

Mid-late 70s onwards which is as far back as my memory goes, every team wanted to win it and to my recollection, no one fielded a weakened side,
The big teams still want to win it - Man City have won 6 of the last 11 league cups, Liverpool and United 2 and Chelsea 1.

It’s as desirable to win as it ever was.

Get the Euro sides out of it and the buzz around this comp will be huge again.

Same for them too. We are the better team and at home. So good draw.
If we were the better team we would be above them but we aren't because we are currently the worst team in the league. No draw against a PL team is a good draw regardless of home or away when you are as bad as we are.

the whole point of a true cup competition is the lottery element of which team is drawn against which. The league competition is th one to make sure th best team wins, a club should be able too win a cup if they get a bit lucky on the way. This seeding rubbish can get in the bin
It's a farce, it's how Fat Spanish Waiter was able to do well in Champions League, yet was useless in premier league. Play a bunch of pub sides in group stage, get a lucky draw playing at Anfield in 2nd leg and that's how you ended up with Liverpool playing an AC Milan side in 07, who zimmerframed to final. That RS side barely got into group stage. I'm convinced cup draws are fixed, in 09, it was clearly being set up for either a United v Chelsea final or United v Arsenal. Same how we never got Stoke in 2016, because it had been decided they wanted a City v Liverpool final.

Every single game? Hahahaha do you mean BOTH games?
Which is every single game this season so far. We were absolutely terrible in both games conceding 7 and scoring none. We looked a similar level to Doncaster the other night. I Definitely don't share peoples enthusiasm about drawing a PL team at home.

Which is every single game this season so far. We were absolutely terrible in both games conceding 7 and scoring none. We looked a similar level to Doncaster the other night. I Definitely don't share peoples enthusiasm about drawing a PL team at home.
Its 2 games. You have said every single game to make your post more dramatic and hard hitting which it doesnt.

Its 2 games. You have said every single game to make your post more dramatic and hard hitting which it doesnt.
Nope i said it because it is a fact and we have been absolutely atrocious. We managed a 14 game win less run last season and i expect similar again this season. Cannot imagine us beating anyone unless they are a lower league team and then it is competitive.

Nope i said it because it is a fact and we have been absolutely atrocious. We managed a 14 game win less run last season and i expect similar again this season. Cannot imagine us beating anyone unless they are a lower league team and then it is competitive.
Wow how negative are you? Go and have a pint mate.

The big teams still want to win it - Man City have won 6 of the last 11 league cups, Liverpool and United 2 and Chelsea 1.

It’s as desirable to win as it ever was.

Get the Euro sides out of it and the buzz around this comp will be huge again.
The point I was trying to make is that way back then, they never fielded weakened teams. Not even playing 3rd or 4th division teams in the early rounds.

Wow how negative are you? Go and have a pint mate.
When it comes to Everton, i am totally negative nowadays sadly. Any last remnants of optimism were sucked out of me the past 2 seasons. Just expect the worst and very apathetic. Hope it changes sometime in the future but not holding my breath.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back