Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries have destroyed our season.

We were beaten by 2 very good teams in superb form in both cup competitions.

2 teams who have spent the last 15 years building their squads, meanwhile we have thrown money at very poor players and are playing catch up, while hopping on 1 leg.

Mistakes have been made.

But we have some very good players, hopefully in the summer we can add a little more quality and add a bit of consistency to our results.

We arent a million miles away, we are still competing for 4th, of course our chances are very slim currently, due to some quite horrific results.

But now is not the time to turn on the best manager this club has had in its entire history.

Despite what some journo has to say.

I agree with all of this but I still hate losing in the cups. A loss is a loss and at some point we have to stop making excuses for ourselves.

The gameplan was spot on. Our execution with the ball was crap.

To beat a team like City you need to be disciplined and ride your luck. We absolutely were disciplined, and our luck ran out when that shot came off the bar straight onto Gundogan’s head. People thinking we’d suddenly just turn up and have a 50/50 with them are just off their trollies to put it kindly. We are a mid table team decimated by injury playing against the best collection of footballers these shores have seen.

I agree with all of this but I still hate losing in the cups. A loss is a loss and at some point we have to stop making excuses for ourselves.
No excuses for me, we were beaten by a very good side last night, no shame in that.

Its like going out at Gay Meadow or getting chased by Tranmere at Goodison tho, nothing can top that kind of thing.

To beat a team like City you need to be disciplined and ride your luck. We absolutely were disciplined, and our luck ran out when that shot came off the bar straight onto Gundogan’s head. People thinking we’d suddenly just turn up and have a 50/50 with them are just off their trollies to put it kindly.
Im not sure but their first goal and nothing to do with luck, playing a back 5 and having nobody even close to a ball dropping in your 6 yard box isn't unlucky.

Im not sure but their first goal and nothing to do with luck, playing a back 5 and having nobody even close to a ball dropping in your 6 yard box isn't unlucky.

Were you expecting us to have all 5 defenders in the box at that time though? If so, why?

It’s very unlucky in the sense that if it hits the bar a millimetre further up it bounces in a completely different direction.

No excuses for me, we were beaten by a very good side last night, no shame in that.

Its like going out at Gay Meadow or getting chased by Tranmere at Goodison tho, nothing can top that kind of thing.

Still not fully over that Shrewsbury one. Think it was at that point, aged about 9 or 10, where I began to realise what a life following Everton meant.

You're right that we maybe aren't that far behind other teams but we still have 4 or 5 glaring holes in the squad as far as I'm concerned. We need to sort the keeper situation. We need a right back urgently, probably no.1 priority. We need a strong, agile, ball carrying midfield player. We need another forward player who can play across the front 3 and run at players with pace to give us a threat in behind on the break. If we sell Kean, and I expect that we will, then we also need another CF.

Finding those players is very difficult and our record in the market doesn't fill me with much hope. Can we actually offload enough players to even sign these players. And everyone around us will be strengthening this summer too and most of them from a stronger base. Thats why this season was our best chance and next year will not be any easier.

I just don’t see physically how a broken ankle can slow you down as a footballer. It’s not a fast twitch muscle like a hamstring that you feel every time you stretch your legs and make a burst forward. That’s the sort of injury that slows you down, not an ankle injury that you recovered fully from in 10 weeks. I personally haven’t noticed any deterioration in Gomes’ speed or agility since his injury.

I can't really remember my GCSE PE theory man so maybe you're right and perhaps it's something I see rather than it being true.

Swear he looks slower off and especially on the ball though.

I've re-edited my post.

here's the tweet I was referring to

I didn't say it was my opinion. FWIW, I don't agree with him, because he's ignored or not aware of what has come before this. But, we can't just keep casting aside these concerns. In both QFs this season, the games have been won because teams could actually bring a player or two off their bench. I'm not expecting us to have KDB in reserve, but it'd be nice if our squad wasn't so threadbare. Only attacking players out yesterday through injury were James and Bernard...

I constantly see 'the players aren't good enough' when people say Carlo can't be questioned.

That's fine - but then that's on recruitment, isn't it?

Or, are the players good enough, so surely then Carlo should be able to get more out of them?

He has got more out of most of our attacking players, Richarlison and DCL for sure. While we can all see with our eyes that Sigurdsson is so anonymous, we have got a decent number of goals and assists out of him this season, Iwobi has probably looked the best he's ever looked for us this season (granted, not saying much). The only one I'd say he could do more with is Bernard, and King but obvs it's early days for him and he was cup-tied yesterday.

I think in general though, we can't really get too much from our wide-players atm because whoever plays on the right when we play a back 4 is hamstrung by having to be weary to cover and over-the-hill Coleman or get very poor attacking support from CB Holgate.

Injuries have destroyed our season.

We were beaten by 2 very good teams in superb form in both cup competitions.

2 teams who have spent the last 15 years building their squads, meanwhile we have thrown money at very poor players and are playing catch up, while hopping on 1 leg.

Mistakes have been made.

But we have some very good players, hopefully in the summer we can add a little more quality and add a bit of consistency to our results.

We arent a million miles away, we are still competing for 4th, of course our chances are very slim currently, due to some quite horrific results.

But now is not the time to turn on the best manager this club has had in its entire history.

Despite what some journo has to say.
I’m not turning on Carlo.

I do wonder if there is some more that could be done to make us better going forward in attack

the general consensus is that we need better players and the squad isn’t good enough in that regard

I think that’s perfectly reasonable. But, I am also fairly miffed that so much money has been spaffed up the wall yet we’re still saying we can’t formulate attacks together

that’s really all my point is. I think it’s a fair one. And surely, we could be doing better in that regard than what we are doing?

We've also spent massive money and wages on players that aren't, or in Bernard's case aren't physically going to cut it in this league, and Iwobi who offers... what?

Our recruitment has been atrocious, let's stop excusing it. It's either that, or Ancelotti is crap for going into yesterday's game like we were a league two team?

We can't use injuries as an excuse. All that does is expose the poor recruitment.

Atrocious is over the top, in the extreme. And the idea that it is either that or Ancelotti is crap is just lazy thinking. As is the idea that exceptionally bad injury luck should be ignored. It is not an excuse, but it is a mitigating factor. And a significant one, if the injuries have been particularly bad.

Our recruitment in the summer just gone was good and although we've got several signings wrong in the two precious summers, I think some have also aged well, such as Mina.

Our squad is absolutely not awful. It is a good summer window away from being quite strong. I don't think it necessarily needs as many additions as people think. Just like Leicester didn't need much more to go from 9th to 1 point outside the top 4 last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back