Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more confidence in the direction of Brighton right now. Switch Maupay and DCL and I'm pretty sure we'd be sweating relegation beyond what they are. I can see exactly what they can do to move forward quickly. Us? It is a long and complicated process.

Basically the only way you can say we're heading the right way imo is blind faith in Carlo's prior record.

Or we get Docuoure Allan Gbamin back fit, add a player or two to cover in midfield, a right back who can play football and we’ll probably look alright.

I'm just trying to make the point that style isn't everything.

But more importantly, our current "style" isn't our norm anyway. If we're having the same conversation next season I'll be worried. But we're still trying to overhaul an absolute mess of a squad and we've had consistent injuries to the players we've brought in to revolutionise it. It will take time. We're not where we want to be, but I just think we need to cut Carlo some slack.

Especially tonight.
100% agree, hence why ill stick with Carlo.
But at the same time, if we're being completely honest, its been a sh1tshow barring the first dozen games and it burns the retina watching us.

Or we get Docuoure Allan Gbamin back fit, add a player or two to cover in midfield, a right back who can play football and we’ll probably look alright.
I don't think a midfield of Allan and Doucoure is nearly as good as people want to believe. James did a ton of the work. And James isn't going to be fit every week.

I'm just trying to make the point that style isn't everything.

But more importantly, our current "style" isn't our norm anyway. If we're having the same conversation next season I'll be worried. But we're still trying to overhaul an absolute mess of a squad and we've had consistent injuries to the players we've brought in to revolutionise it. It will take time. We're not where we want to be, but I just think we need to cut Carlo some slack.

Especially tonight.
Of course, Carlo needs time. But we have played well, and now I am kind, in 10 of 58 matches, and then I will define the other 48 matches as the norm. Possibly this will change next season, but so far this is the norm.

Bit of exaggeration there don't you think? And anyway, do you think we're the only ones to have had missing players?

No, we aren't, but we've had an exceptional number of quite serious injuries. In midfield, in particular, it's been pretty awful since Allan got injured. Since then we've had Allan and Doucoure in the team maybe once or twice? And Gbamin's been injured the whole time, plus Delph has basically retired it seems.

That's a bit of a disaster from whatever angle you look at it.

I don't think a midfield of Allan and Doucoure is nearly as good as people want to believe. James did a ton of the work. And James isn't going to be fit every week.

Doesn’t have to be good just has to be functional. We have a good defence. We have good strikers. If we can get a midfield that can compete in most games to give us even an equal share of the ball then we’re a lot better than a lot of other teams in both boxes. Unfortunately at the moment we have the worst midfield in the league whenever Davies Siggurdson and Gomes play.

Doesn’t have to be good just has to be functional. We have a good defence. We have good strikers. If we can get a midfield that can compete in most games to give us even an equal share of the ball then we’re a lot better than a lot of other teams in both boxes. Unfortunately at the moment we have the worst midfield in the league whenever Davies Siggurdson and Gomes play.
Talent wise those are not nearly as bad as they look because there is no coherence and continuity in the system. Not that they are good. But they aren't this bad.

Last Name, First Name. (# of trophies won).

Thank you.
As for replacements, it's something that it would be a dereliction of duty for the Board to just ignore. With the financial costs rising and time running out to re-establish the club before the pending European Cup/League reorganisation it's naive to believe Moshiri would let things drift. Should we ever get back to proper football in a packed GP I can guarantee that a first half of next season as bad as the last half of this season so far will lead to a growth in criticism that any Board would find hard to push aside. Ancelotti was sacked after just two seasons at Chelsea. I wouldn't rule out a departure before the completion of next season. Let's just hope that Carlo has more in his locker than he has shown so far.

I’m not sure about this tbh, Allan and Doucoure have played in some absolutely putrid performances this season. We might have ground out a few more results but the football wasn’t really that much better.
Again - I'm talking about the key being having all three of Allan, doucoure and Rodriguez as being the key. 2 out of the 3 of them and we're lacking something.

Arguably the one we can cope without the best is actually Allan.

Have we actually won a game in which Doucoure hasn't started this season?

The worry is this "quiet leadership" thang. Him, Martinez, Silva all different managers but none were the type you feel would hang a player out to dry or bust some heads in the dressing room.

This club needs Dogs of War type management - thats why we punched above our way under Moyes and in fairness to Fat Sam the season he had us 8th with Sandro and a washed up Rooney up top. Big Royle speaks for himself.

Hopefully Carlo can turn things around but the fear is that there is a lack of expectation at the club that runs from the top down and you get the feeling its all fun and games behind the scenes and in training. Thats where a hard nosed manager can help focus the players in the dressing room from thinking they are at gulliver's world.
Totally agree with the whole post. No positive leadership seems to stand out at this club anymore, and it has'nt done for years. I liked Moysie, and the amounts of money available to him in the years he was there, are nothing like it is today. Am not a happy Bunny with what and has been going on since Moysie left, having watched Everton for 65 years, going to watch us win the 66 Cup Final, watching the Golden years of Kendall, Ball and Harvey at the Old Girl. and travelling to the European games. Fans under 35 years of age have never seen the really true Everton and what we should really be about.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back