Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Sam did a cracking job IMO.

But no club will kick on with Big Sam at the helm.
Aye, I've said elsewhere on here that I don't really have a problem with Sam because he did a Ronseal job - he did exactly what we said and expected him to do.

He ground out results with a steady, resolute defence at the expense of anything attacking flair, and he was comfortable with that. We never pushed on at all.

Before you knew it, we were no longer facing the thread of relegation albeit with hindsight it may not have been as bad a situation as it felt at the time.

Yet, he never wavered from the style that he'd made his own, so we could have probably achieved even more that season. But that glass ceiling was the problem.

I'd bet there's not one "True" blue on this forum who wants Carlo to fail, I would just love it if he does meet the expectations we all hoped for, I'd be happy with him just lifting the League cup if I'm honest in the next 18 months. However we've fallen in to the trap too many times recently, albeit with players saying "they need more time", when no other club in the premiership would afford them the time if they weren't performing. Early-ish days yet for Carlo and summer looms. I just hope his past reputation does not allow thinking to get clouded if for one reason or another he fails. As I've said before if he can attract the bigger names we were led to believe he can then I hope he will be the best since Howard. At present he isn't and I think it's fair to say that.

He's got the first half of next season for me. I like him a lot as an individual, and there's no questioning his pedigree.

But I hate the football he's served up (admittedly with a lot of the slop he found here).

I think we've had enough of the pragmatists after Martinez left. If Carlo doesn't make a big impact next season, we need to take another dip into the manager pool and pick out a stylist with an exciting system.

He's got the first half of next season for me. I like him a lot as an individual, and there's no questioning his pedigree.

But I hate the football he's served up (admittedly with a lot of the slop he found here).

I think we've had enough of the pragmatists after Martinez left. If Carlo doesn't make a big impact next season, we need to take another dip into the manager pool and pick out a stylist with an exciting system.

Pragmatists always beat idealists in the long haul. Even look at Pep. He had a terrible first season, then made a lot of pragmatic decisions on how you need to play in the PL, and the rest is history.

I want a pragmatic manager. We are Everton and we should always play to our strengths rather than a pre-determined blueprint.

Truly, truly hope so.....I'd love him to see his contract out here and may be another. It's been a long time now.

I honestly think he has bought into the club, the area, and yeah, the money available. At heart, he is a football man. He is having a crack at something he has often said, that awful phrase, a project, to build a team/club.

Pragmatists always beat idealists in the long haul. Pep had a terrible first season, then made a lot of pragmatic decisions on how you need to play in the PL, and the rest is history.

I want a pragmatic manager. We are Everton and we should always play to our strengths rather than a pre-determined blueprint.
An idealist is not needed at a successful club. They have the players there and a system in place. The new manager tweaks.

We are not successful and we never had the players or system for Carlo to come into.

He's an older man who (understandably) wont be an old dog that performs new tricks.

Ild have had a Rodgers or Tuchel type over him. Nice man that he is, like.

We need pace and athleticism all over the pitch, and a team with players that want the ball and dont treat it like an IED.

I think Carlo needs to work. If we can't make it work with one of the best managers in the game then what chance have we got elsewhere? He needs to be backed and needs another season at least.

I think he will. Another sprinkle of his and Brands signings in the summer would transform the team.
I'm really not so sure on that. I think we're all hoping for it, but if we're really looking at the evidence I just have to say it is far from guaranteed.

Like who Dave ?

I think Carlo needs to work. If we can't make it work with one of the best managers in the game then what chance have we got elsewhere? He needs to be backed and needs another season at least.
I agree. I wouldn't dream of turning on him and demanding the rip cord pulled. But he neds to at least show us a consistent way of playing so we know what his team looks like here. Yres, injuries have stopped thsat to some extent, but that cant explain the amount of utterly clueless game plans we'v e endured.

Pragmatists always beat idealists in the long haul. Even look at Pep. He had a terrible first season, then made a lot of pragmatic decisions on how you need to play in the PL, and the rest is history.

No he bought a real goalkeeper and fullbacks that could run. City at their absolute peak were the ideal Pep team.

In fact Pep's biggest failures imo are when he tries to be pragmatic and make changes in big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back