Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
An idealist is not needed at a successful club. They have the players there and a system in place. The new manager tweaks.

We are not successful and we never had the players or system for Carlo to come into.

He's an older man who (understandably) wont be an old dog that performs new tricks.

Ild have had a Rodgers or Tuchel type over him. Nice man that he is, like.

We need pace and athleticism all over the pitch, and a team with players that want the ball and dont treat it like an IED.
Absolutely, but that will need some much improved recruitment and that falls at the door of the DOF, not the manager.

That is why I would much prefer the manager to be in charge of recruitment.

I think Carlo needs to work. If we can't make it work with one of the best managers in the game then what chance have we got elsewhere? He needs to be backed and needs another season at least.
Just like players need to fit managers need to fit. Carlo is the best in the game at Chelsea or Madrid. But is he at Everton? It isn't guaranteed.

Absolutely, but that will need some much improved recruitment and that falls at the door of the DOF, not the manager.

That is why I would much prefer the manager to be in charge of recruitment.
We are, of course, singing from the same hymn-sheet on that!

No he bought a real goalkeeper and fullbacks that could run. City at their absolute peak were the ideal Pep team.

In fact Pep's biggest failures imo are when he tries to be pragmatic and make changes in big games.

I've never saw that many similarities between this City team and the peak Barca side. City do still overplay at times, but I don't think they have the same philosophy as the Xavi, Iniesta side.

I think he will. Another sprinkle of his and Brands signings in the summer would transform the team.
The problem with this is, inevitably, the squad. They can go and fill the rest of the 1st team up with good players but, when they inevitably get injured and/or suspended, we're back to where we are now. I keep seeing excuses about "if THIS team was available then we win!" but that's a bunch of malarkey. Almost NO teams have their starting players week in and week out. We miss one and it's everything out the window.

In no way am I not saying we don't have injury issues at the moment but we've had a bunch of instances this year we were missing literally one first team player and played awful.

I'd offer Bielsa an arm and a leg to come here, myself.

Hadnt really thought of that. He makes bang average players a bit better, lives above a newsagent, but seems to have a rep that folk who know more than me about footie hold him in high regard.

I've never saw that many similarities between this City team and the peak Barca side. City do still overplay at times, but I don't think they have the same philosophy as the Xavi, Iniesta side.
It's not exactly the same for a lot of reasons. Having Messi and Dani Alves necessitates slight differences from Sterling and Kyle Walker on the right for example, but for me a lot of the general concepts didn't change.

To me to label a manager a pragmatist is to suggest that they're constantly searching for the best solution in the moment. Pep didn't do that imo. I wouldn't call Mourinho a pragmatist either necessarily, he just has a different set of ideals than what most people think of when they label managers that way. Carlo clearly is and to an extent that can work but I think you rely on your players being at a certain level for it to work.

Brighton had half a team out too. I've watched Everton for 60 years and that has to go down as one of the most boring, shapeless, spineless performances I've ever witnessed, watched over by a totally clueless manager, with no imagination as to how to change the tempo or shape of a game and clearly incapable of lifting his players. I'd add that the dross served up over the last 3 months has collectively been THE worst spell of football I've ever seen from an Everton side. Disgraceful.

jan.webp

I honestly think he has bought into the club, the area, and yeah, the money available. At heart, he is a football man. He is having a crack at something he has often said, that awful phrase, a project, to build a team/club.
Ahhh now I'd not heard him say that. If that is the case then I'm even more keen on him being here than before mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back