Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad Big Sam didn't fluke a win at Anfield

Isn’t that the whole point though!, that he didn’t?

People are calling for signs of consistent performances and a style of play but what is it based against? It’s certainly not based against previous managers who no matter their approach have been punted all round the pitch in these big away games by massive scores sometimes. Koeman Allardyce Silva especially we were being hit for 4s and 5s at these places.

This season no one has beaten us by a margin of more than 2 goals. We’ve been in every single game (arguably except the Fulham one) even when we’ve lost. Is this not improved defensive organisation? Is this not improved mentality? Is this not improved performance in defensive aspects?

So yes I buy that there’s more work to be done on the attacking side, and (like a lot of teams in the league) this improves when our best players are available. But we keep hearing from some that this football isn’t sustainable yet here we are with 6 games left to go still fighting for fourth having ‘fluked’ our way past Liverpool Spurs Arsenal Leicester Wolves Leeds away from home.

The pattern from my point of view has been one of very strong defensive organisation throughout this season and an attacking game that has had fits and starts at some points. The next step is to get more consistency with the attacking game but I just can’t accept these views that there’s no consistent improvement. Isn't every good team based on a solid defensive structure?

Every top 6 side has lost games like that. People need to get over them.

We have beat a few teams above us away so that evens it out.
Of course we have. But like I said it has been a missed opportunity.
7th-8th has been our natural position. We are 8th. We have spent a lot of money the football is hit and miss.
Alardyce finished 8th with a side languishing in the table in November.
Obviously I wouldn’t swap, and obviously you are an idiot to want to sack a Carlos, but we are not punching above our weight here.

Nah, surely you start the process by buying four number 10's? :p

Suddenly getting defensive consistency that allows you to win games you’ve not played particularly well in is ‘fluking’ and not sustainable (despite it lasting most of a season now)

Perhaps we’d prefer a return to the late Koeman Allardyce Silva days when I still have no idea what we were trying to do at any given point and we were regularly embarrassed away at top grounds and at home residing for long periods in the bottom half. Still there was a few good pointless 4-0 wins in there though so it must be better than this rubbish Ancelotti is turning out.

Of course we have. But like I said it has been a missed opportunity.
7th-8th has been our natural position. We are 8th. We have spent a lot of money the football is hit and miss.
Alardyce finished 8th with a side languishing in the table in November.
Obviously I wouldn’t swap, and obviously you are an idiot to want to sack a Carlos, but we are not punching above our weight here.

Has Carlo spent a lot of money? He spent about 60 mill in the summer bringing players in, and he had to lose players he might have wanted to keep like Kean and Walcott.

Chelsea spent more than that on Kai Havertz.

The style of Football has been an issue all season we know it has to improve if we're to finish where we want to but we played really good against Palace and Spurs and ended up drawing, Played like absolute crap yesterday and won 1-0, Hopefully a functioning right side and another midfielder will fix this because some of our players are just utter cowards who want no responsibility.
Richarlison "scored" by being positive and beating his man and we don't have enough of that in this team.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with flowing football, that’s just a typical straw man to be honest. The point was just that it wasn’t really a great performance in any respect, we just got the rub of the green in a fairly dull and uninspiring game. There’s nothing wrong with that at all, I just find it a bit weird when people try to use it as evidence of managerial genius. Again, if we get a few more of those in the next few games this still has the potential to be a really good season and if that happens I’ll give him all the credit in the world. Stay 8th and I’ll be saying it’s a bit disappointing. We’ll see how it pans out.
Yeah I totally agree here mate, last night was alarmingly worrying up until the goal, I mean the delph sub come on what was that lol, we won but by no means with a solid plan like we did at the rs. Will happily take these wins but and good sides would have stuffed us last night, like chelsea away etc

I fully expect us to take another step this summer and properly break into the top four next season. The style of play will change as the squad improves.
This is evolution not revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back