Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He makes the right decisions more often than not. He is a world class manager who has had to operate with a very poor squad.
He deserves to manage a team that wins trophies so the club must bring in 5 to 6 players of real quality this summer. Pointless having Ancellotti otherwise.

Does anyone know when the last time Gomes got to play alongside Allan AND Doucoure in midfield was? Feels like a long time ago, and that was the midfield for our good run at the start of the season

The last time that team that started the season played together was the first derby, up until Seamus' injury.

Hopefully we might get to see that one again before the end of the season but not holding my breath. Gutted about Gbamin because he could have been useful to add legs in there (albeit he probably doesn't have any left now).

Off the top of my head, Newcastle away Gomes, Allan and Doucoure all played, but not in a 4-3-3.

Very. I just answered that in another post. The recruitment has got to be a lot better. Its not just about throwing money at it.
Can’t get it all done in one window.

Doucoure, James, Godfrey, Allan, Olsen loan, Nkonkou, at reasonable numbers, plus dumping a lot of dead wood, in a Covid-19 shortened window, is insanely successful.

The last time that team that started the season played together was the first derby, up until Seamus' injury.

Hopefully we might get to see that one again before the end of the season but not holding my breath. Gutted about Gbamin because he could have been useful to add legs in there (albeit he probably doesn't have any left now).

Off the top of my head, Newcastle away Gomes, Allan and Doucoure all played, but not in a 4-3-3.
Ok, fair cop, Newcastle away was dire, but by and large results with that three have been good I think?

That game gives me shivers still. Look at that team/formation.

1619257235786.webp

He makes the right decisions more often than not. He is a world class manager who has had to operate with a very poor squad.
He deserves to manage a team that wins trophies so the club must bring in 5 to 6 players of real quality this summer. Pointless having Ancellotti otherwise.

Well, is our squad worse than West Ham's?

West Ham have one striker - Antonio.

Yes, our squad is poor (and that doesn't reflect well on the recruitment) but we're not relegation fodder either.

A massive overhaul is needed - a fair few of them players brought in under Brands because they've all been so one-paced - but there's been some baffling decisions too.

We all know that Gomes, Gylfi and James playing in the same midfield simply doesn't work. We all know that Delph shouldn't be getting any minutes. We all know that Keane can't play wide in a back three... All decisions which have been made at numerous times this season to the same effect.

But yes, what he's managing to get out of the side in terms of resilience at least bodes well that there's something to build from. It's not about merging that with games where we actually show some attacking flair like we did in flashes v Palace and a fair bit v Spurs, and getting those wins.

Can’t get it all done in one window.

Doucoure, James, Godfrey, Allan, Olsen loan, Nkonkou, at reasonable numbers, plus dumping a lot of dead wood, in a Covid-19 shortened window, is insanely successful.

Agree. I thought it would take 3 windows. Hes had 1 basically.
To many are just impatient though.
This was never ever a quick fix.

It was a joke, Groucho.

I just didn't see the need to bring on Delph over Davies and Delph's 30 mins on the pitch, wearing the wrong socks and insisting on playing everything with his weaker right foot, passing backwards, or slicing a simple pass to Digne 20 yards over his head, did little to change my mind on that. The bloke should not kick a ball for Everton again.

Well, is our squad worse than West Ham's?

West Ham have one striker - Antonio.

Yes, our squad is poor (and that doesn't reflect well on the recruitment) but we're not relegation fodder either.
I might be wrong but I don't think West Ham have had anything close to the injury situation we've had this season?

And no, we're not relegation fodder. That's why we're 3pts off 4th

What also an important distinction, in my opinion, for those who hold the view finishing 8th under Allardyce is the same as if we finish 8th this season, is the different pressure on the games because of the shape of the season.

It’s one thing to reside for the majority of the season in the bottom half of the table, to have your season be completely over by February, then to win some home games with no pressure on them whatsoever in March and April to climb a few places and finish 8th a fair distance behind the European places. We’ve seen this season loads of times.

It’s another thing to be up and around the top 6 for the whole season, to have to win away games at Anfield and the Emirates to stay in that position. Every game matters in that scenario, there are no free swing games s where the pressure is off.

Finishing 8th in the second scenario a few points off fourth is completely different in my view than what Silva or Allardyce achieved by finishing 8th. Doing it this way gives you a platform that with a bit of improvement you can challenge the top 6 again, the confidence that you can win big games with something riding on them. The other approach leads nowhere and just repeats itself the season after. Surely people don’t think these outcomes are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back