Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams can drop down from the higher competitions so there will still be a few decent sides in it. I'd take any trophy at this point and it would be an excellent opportunity to give matches to young players like Nkounkou, Gordon, Branthwaite etc.

I don't think we're in any position to turn our nose up at any European football. Although preferably we can come 6th somehow

Oh this is an indisputable benefit. I would be playing an entire team of youngsters in this make no mistake about it.

Wasn't that some dodgy pre season thing?

Hardly the same and EC gets you into EL which helps considering the PL is becoming a league where finishing in the top 7 is becoming more difficult with there are 8/9 or so decent sides all fighting for those spots.

I’d argue the top 6 is more up for grabs than it has been for a while as the likes of Spurs and Arsenal languish in mid table. The “top 6” in terms of a group of clubs doesn’t exist anymore, Leicester have blown that apart and West Ham are showing that anyone can take advantage if you have a half decent season.

Well Antonio has been out injured several times. Other than that they've managed to keep their 'best XI' intact.

I don't put their best XI as drastically better, on paper, than our team with one or two players out, though.
Nor do I, but two points on that:

1) We've rarely had just "one or two" players out
2) We've had a rotating cast of players out injured pretty much every week since I think early October. There has been absolutely no consistency in the players that are available. It would be much less damaging to have just had the same "one or two" players out injured long term, rather than a constantly changing list.

This is key for me.

Yes Allardyce got us 8th but what were we - 30 points off top 4? It’s been a strange season for all the clubs and we are still right in the mix for Europe.

Think this is the first time we have been in contention for champions league since Martinez (and we dropped dramatically at the end there)

We obviously have loads to improve on but we are definitely going the right way.,.even if it’s slower than most of us would like.

This is key for me, as much as @davek is given pelters for reminding us of 72 points, points totals are a better measure of performance and progress.

League positions don't always tell the full story.

In the peak Moyes years we were always hovering around that 60-65 mark and that's enough for Europe most years.

Oh this is an indisputable benefit. I would be playing an entire team of youngsters in this make no mistake about it.
It's a very good benefit. We can't afford to give regular game time in the PL to unproven players but at the same time they need to play to get better. This would be a good chance. If you got through to the latter stages then you go all out to win.

This is key for me.

Yes Allardyce got us 8th but what were we - 30 points off top
4? It’s been a strange season for all the clubs and we are still right in the mix for Europe.

Think this is the first time we have been in contention for champions league since Martinez (and we dropped dramatically at the end there)

We obviously have loads to improve on but we are definitely going the right way.,.even if it’s slower than most of us would like.

Huge point. We were 14 points off 6th and 26 points off 4th.
8th and 8th are worlds apart in comparison.

I’d argue the top 6 is more up for grabs than it has been for a while as the likes of Spurs and Arsenal languish in mid table. The “top 6” in terms of a group of clubs doesn’t exist anymore, Leicester have blown that apart and West Ham are showing that anyone can take advantage if you have a half decent season.

Had we beaten Spurs as we should have done we would be sat in 6th now and in control. I think we threw it top 6 away this season with that result considering our GD is miles worse, our fixtures on paper are tougher than Spurs/RS/WHU and we are awful without Doucoure who may still be out for another 2-3 games.

Throw in Man City away last game of the season which you could argue is the game in hand I would snatch your hands off at 7th now. This current side as its performing at present isnt going to win 4-5 on the spin imo which is what you would need for 4th-6th.

As much as I can't stand Sigurdsson you can't deny that he's helped give us a few crucial wins this season.

Don't think anyway can stick up for Gomes though.
They are both technical players... Suited to a different type of football than the premier league.

Out of the 2 you would say Gylfi is the one to keep but I feel that both players lack the character we want to see. For me the Godfrey/Allan personality type is what we need in our club to dilute the nice guys who look like football is a job and not a passion.

Had we beaten Spurs as we should have done we would be sat in 6th now and in control. I think we threw it top 6 away this season with that result considering our GD is miles worse, our fixtures on paper are tougher than Spurs/RS/WHU and we are awful without Doucoure who may still be out for another 2-3 games.

Throw in Man City away last game of the season which you could argue is the game in hand I would snatch your hands off at 7th now. This current side as its performing at present isnt going to win 4-5 on the spin imo which is what you would need for 4th-6th.
How can you argue City is the game in hand?

They are both technical players... Suited to a different type of football than the premier league.

Out of the 2 you would say Gylfi is the one to keep but I feel that both players lack the character we want to see. For me the Godfrey/Allan personality type is what we need in our club to dilute the nice guys who look like football is a job and not a passion.

An issue i have with iwobi. I doubt he cares 5 mins after a game if we won or lost. Salary collected i'm done type.
Id throw doucoure in with godfrey and allan. Get as many of those in through the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back