Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nor do I, but two points on that:

1) We've rarely had just "one or two" players out
2) We've had a rotating cast of players out injured pretty much every week since I think early October. There has been absolutely no consistency in the players that are available. It would be much less damaging to have just had the same "one or two" players out injured long term, rather than a constantly changing list.
Fully agree.

My issue is that we don't seem to have some way of playing around our injuries, like other teams do.

But we're still there and there abouts.

Bloody hell though, I'm not Carlo out.

Not having that yesterday is the best performance for people to be saying proves his world class credentials either though.

I'm so happy with this season compared to last and we're there or there abouts right now. We should be much better off, which is the frustrating thing.

But we have to start being able to combine playing well at both ends of the field - we still have hardly managed that since the first 5 games and I'm sorry, injuries can't be used as an excuse.

If we manage that in the last 6 games, then we've got a very very good chance of getting Europe. But we have to do it.

Isn’t that the whole point though!, that he didn’t?

People are calling for signs of consistent performances and a style of play but what is it based against? It’s certainly not based against previous managers who no matter their approach have been punted all round the pitch in these big away games by massive scores sometimes. Koeman Allardyce Silva especially we were being hit for 4s and 5s at these places.

This season no one has beaten us by a margin of more than 2 goals. We’ve been in every single game (arguably except the Fulham one) even when we’ve lost. Is this not improved defensive organisation? Is this not improved mentality? Is this not improved performance in defensive aspects?

So yes I buy that there’s more work to be done on the attacking side, and (like a lot of teams in the league) this improves when our best players are available. But we keep hearing from some that this football isn’t sustainable yet here we are with 6 games left to go still fighting for fourth having ‘fluked’ our way past Liverpool Spurs Arsenal Leicester Wolves Leeds away from home.

The pattern from my point of view has been one of very strong defensive organisation throughout this season and an attacking game that has had fits and starts at some points. The next step is to get more consistency with the attacking game but I just can’t accept these views that there’s no consistent improvement. Isn't every good team based on a solid defensive structure?
Our defensive structure isn't that good. That's the part for me that people miss. We put everything into defending and are average at it.

While I agree the season is like playing at 38 neutral grounds there is still the fact we've won at the Emirates, Anfield after however long. Fans or not that mental block has been lifted.
We'll see what it looks like when we go into those grounds packed next year.

Our defensive structure isn't that good. That's the part for me that people miss. We put everything into defending and are average at it.

When we play defensively we’re not average. We’ve held onto loads of leads this season. Palace was the one exception but I think that was their only shot on target we gave them. When we’ve opened up a bit more at home we’ve been punished sometimes although I do think some of the finishing agaisnt us has been extremely clinical at times (Burnley Palace Newcastle). We’re not seeing us getting absolutist torn apart by teams though like we have in previous seasons.

It just seems overly critical to me. How do you explain us being 3 points off 4th if you think our football is awful going forward and we’re not good at defending? We must be doing something right.

When we play defensively we’re not average. We’ve held onto loads of leads this season. Palace was the one exception but I think that was their only shot on target we gave them. When we’ve opened up a bit more at home we’ve been punished sometimes although I do think some of the finishing agaisnt us has been extremely clinical at times (Burnley Palace Newcastle). We’re not seeing us getting absolutist torn apart by teams though like we have in previous seasons.

It just seems overly critical to me. How do you explain us being 3 points off 4th if you think our football is awful going forward and we’re not good at defending? We must be doing something right.
Nah, football is a crazy sport, you can just get really lucky. We can genuinely be a midtable side that has had enough luck to make Europe. Which if we make Europe, and if you haven't checked we currently aren't, would be exactly how I'd describe it.

Nah, football is a crazy sport, you can just get really lucky. We can genuinely be a midtable side that has had enough luck to make Europe. Which if we make Europe, and if you haven't checked we currently aren't, would be exactly how I'd describe it.

It’s not luck over 38 games. Teams finish where they deserve to finish. Doesn’t make a huge difference for me whether it’s 6th,7th,8th by a point or two (although I’d obviously love us to qualify for Europe) but I’ve seen improvement in this team this season, for me it feels a miles better one than anything we’ve had since 17/18. I think we’ll go better again next season also.

It’s not luck over 38 games. Teams finish where they deserve to finish. Doesn’t make a huge difference for me whether it’s 6th,7th,8th by a point or two (although I’d obviously love us to qualify for Europe) but I’ve seen improvement in this team this season, for me it feels a miles better one than anything we’ve had since 17/18. I think we’ll go better again next season also.
We've just won a game because the keeper dropped it into his own net. Luck plays a big part in this game, even over an entire season.

I just disagree with the premise of looking at results and saying we're better now. We've been crap, often, and at some point we need to play better. And by that I mean scoring more and conceding less.

We've just won a game because the keeper dropped it into his own net. Luck plays a big part in this game, even over an entire season.

I just disagree with the premise of looking at results and saying we're better now. We've been crap, often, and at some point we need to play better. And by that I mean scoring more and conceding less.
I hope at some point you firmly grasp and understand the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back