Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa (H)
West Ham (A)
Shef Utd (H)
Wolves (H)
Man City (A)
Villa (A)

There's got to be 4 wins from them, minimum, if we want to secure Europa. Also key that one of those victories is against West Ham.

Just really hoping that City just aren't @rsed about our game with them.

your joking if you say you wouldn't want to win the UEFA conference

our European record over history is pretty crap, 1 CWC and a few semi decent Europa runs with Moyes

a trophy is a trophy
We heard the same old stuff about the Europa League. Yet, there it is now with a guaranteed Champions League spot for minnows Arsenal to lust after.

I could understand a club that has been used to dining at the top table being sniffy about the Europa Conference or whatever UEFA are going to call it. But Everton? Delusions of grandeur among some if they think we are too good for this. You've got to start somewhere. If we can fast track ourselves into the higher competitions, great. But if we can't - and I don't think we can - then this is where we begin. It's a building process at Everton. Let's start getting used to going deep in European competitions while, at the same time, bankrolling a squad building programme that ensures we have the numbers and requisite quality to cope and thrive with the greater number of games. Qualifying and sitting on our laurels will destroy our hopes of progress domestically, but if that's what we do then we will never get into the CL anyway, so we might as well enjoy attempting to compete in Europe when the chance comes. We'll still finish 9th, mind.

We heard the same old stuff about the Europa League. Yet, there it is now with a guaranteed Champions League spot for minnows Arsenal to lust after.

I could understand a club that has been used to dining at the top table being sniffy about the Europa Conference or whatever UEFA are going to call it. But Everton? Delusions of grandeur among some if they think we are too good for this. You've got to start somewhere. If we can fast track ourselves into the higher competitions, great. But if we can't - and I don't think we can - then this is where we begin. It's a building process at Everton. Let's start getting used to going deep in European competitions while, at the same time, bankrolling a squad building programme that ensures we have the numbers and requisite quality to cope and thrive with the greater number of games. Qualifying and sitting on our laurels will destroy our hopes of progress domestically, but if that's what we do then we will never get into the CL anyway, so we might as well enjoy attempting to compete in Europe when the chance comes. We'll still finish 9th, mind.
Who from below us currently passes us out ?

An issue i have with iwobi. I doubt he cares 5 mins after a game if we won or lost. Salary collected i'm done type.
Id throw doucoure in with godfrey and allan. Get as many of those in through the doors.
I watch most games and see international compatriots talking behind their hands - laughing and joking after losing ..... Wtf.

We used to play 7 a side against lads we grew up with and get on with..... 5 minutes after the end of the game there is niggly arguments and gripes whilst walking back to the cars.

I agree, the game is sanitised beyond recognition.

That’s not how game in hands work. Everyone else plays at the same time as us that day. We will play Villa on a week when no one else has a game, that’s our game in hand.

If course its not but the reality is we aint winning Man City away so forget that game in hand it means little if Spurs have some bum like WBA on the day we play City.

Spurs have Leicester. So do we now not have a game in hand on them anymore?

Leicester are beatable on their day Man City away are a different beast.

Since they got their act back together after that shaky start only really Leeds have outplayed them on the day.

We certainly wont if we rock up like we did yesterday hoping for a 0-0.

Leicester are beatable on their day Man City away are a different beast.

Since they got their act back together after that shaky start only really Leeds have outplayed them on the day.

We certainly wont if we rock up like we did yesterday hoping for a 0-0.

Leicester beatable on their day, Spurs are an absolute mess lad. City lost at home to 10 men Leeds but they’re unbeatable? I don’t understand the angle you’re coming from here. Our game in hand is against Aston Villa and it really is as simple as that.

Leicester beatable on their day, Spurs are an absolute mess lad. City lost at home to 10 men Leeds but they’re unbeatable? I don’t understand the angle you’re coming from here. Our game in hand is against Aston Villa and it really is as simple as that.

Spurs have two players in Kane and Son who need 1 chance to get a goal regardless of how average they are - we dont have them players its as simple as that.

Look at the performances in recent weeks particularly going forward and tell me we will beat Man City away - not for me its a scrappy 0-0 / 1-1 draw at best and thats if City have their flip flops on.

Spurs have two players in Kane and Son who need 1 chance to get a goal regardless of how average they are - we dont have them players its as simple as that.

Look at the performances in recent weeks particularly going forward and tell me we will beat Man City away - not for me its a scrappy 0-0 / 1-1 draw at best and thats if City have their flip flops on.

I’m not telling you we’ll beat City away at all. I’m telling you it isn’t our game in hand.

Class act and general good egg.

A lot of people on here don't seem to realize how rare it is to see those qualities alongside world-class ability in football managers.

Klopp's exposed for what he is. Pep's a good company man - but still a mercenary. Zidane's ruthless as SAF. Let's be honest, and I actually respect this about him, but Simeone is a cheat that teaches cheats to cheat more effectively.

If it's a dead rubber for City, I can 100% see Pep doing everything short of outright throwing to rest players for a final and/or test stupid ideas to see if maybe they aren't so stupid after all.

I can even see him outright throwing if it means keeping the RS out. Throw a spanner in their summer plans and eliminate a potential legitimate rival for the European Cup without kicking a ball before the season begins? He'd take that in a heartbeat, and blame it on blooding youth.

No, I'm trying to offer balance so that everything isn't so black and white.

We were a fluke OG away from putting in a really tame attacking display in what was our biggest game of the last few weeks, which we needed to win to keep in with a chance of Europe, and we had all of our best attacking players available (bar Doucoure who I appreciate is key to how we play in both defence and attack). We had one shot on target (and that's not the one we scored from).

There's genuine concerns and not everything has to be a) ALL Carlo's fault or b) NOTHING to do with Carlo and it's all on the players or all on Brands etc
Did we win?

Well, is our squad worse than West Ham's?

West Ham have one striker - Antonio.

Yes, our squad is poor (and that doesn't reflect well on the recruitment) but we're not relegation fodder either.

A massive overhaul is needed - a fair few of them players brought in under Brands because they've all been so one-paced - but there's been some baffling decisions too.

We all know that Gomes, Gylfi and James playing in the same midfield simply doesn't work. We all know that Delph shouldn't be getting any minutes. We all know that Keane can't play wide in a back three... All decisions which have been made at numerous times this season to the same effect.

But yes, what he's managing to get out of the side in terms of resilience at least bodes well that there's something to build from. It's not about merging that with games where we actually show some attacking flair like we did in flashes v Palace and a fair bit v Spurs, and getting those wins.
West Ham are/where 4th because Lingard suddenly turned in to a world beater, without him they are bottom half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back