Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what Leicester have done is simply brilliant engineering. They have hired a manager with a clear and distinct philosophy. They have sold expensively, and brought in relatively affordable players in the right age group with great potential. Tielemans was a flop in Monaco, and Ndidi was brought in from Genk.

I know there are several ways to succeed, but this is the way I think is most realistic for Everton. Therefore, I have also been skeptical of signings like Allan and JR, who are clearly on their way down in their careers, but who are of course good individual players. But to build a foundation for success, I'm skeptical of whether it's the right method. We do not have the financial muscle of either Chelsea or Manchester City.

What people conveniently forget with Leicester is they won the league five years ago. That has very much helped the progression.

They've built well, but they've been able to use that title win as the basis.

The obvious issue with Leicester comparisons is that I don't think we've got any intention of following their model.
But what is our model?

What people conveniently forget with Leicester is they won the league five years ago. That has very much helped the progression.

Well, it helps, but they should still take advantage of this opportunity and manage it properly. Something they achieved with the hiring of BR. If you look around in football Europe, you see several clubs that succeed with a more or less similar model such as Leicester, including Atalanta. As a club, we have also invested far more in players than Leicester have done since winning the title.

The other difference is that on the main they keep their players fit. Vardy Tielemans they nearly always play. They don’t arrive at big games with their best player missing like we continue to do all the time.

They've moved on from everyone in that team but Vardy and Schmeichel. They very easily could have fallen off, hell even gone down, but they haven't because they've bought largely well since then. They have a well planned out recruitment policy and it shows. And they also admit when they get it wrong ie sacking Puel even when they weren't that bad.

That argument does not hold. Leicester have had major injury problems this year.

Yes but the strength of the squad Carrie them through. Ndidi is injured and Praet can come in. Pereira injured and James Justin comes in. They’re never left with a Davies or Siggurdson playing. They’ve kept their key attackers Tielemans and Vardy fit most of the season. We’ve not kept our big gun James fit.

The other difference is that on the main they keep their players fit. Vardy Tielemans they nearly always play. They don’t arrive at big games with their best player missing like we continue to do all the time.

Well ultimately that's on us for being so reliant on an injury prone 29-year-old mate.

Hopefully this summer, we get 3 or so players in that help transform the team and mean that James is the cherry on top and our attacking system/set up, whatever you want to call it, doesn't have to change entirely if he's unfit.

Yes but the strength of the squad Carrie them through. Ndidi is injured and Praet can come in. Pereira injured and James Justin comes in. They’re never left with a Davies or Siggurdson playing. They’ve kept their key attackers Tielemans and Vardy fit most of the season. We’ve not kept our big gun James fit.
They have bought well, and have a system that everyone is comfortable with and knows their roles. Dennis Praet is far from God's gift to football, and James Justin was bought from Luton. One of the advantages of having clear guidelines, and where the players have clear role requirements, and are trained in this, is that you do not become as vulnerable to injuries. Everyone knew that the probability of JR playing 38 games was zero, and that excuse does not hold.

They have bought well, and have a system that everyone is comfortable with and knows their roles. Dennis Praet is far from God's gift to football, and James Justin was bought from Luton. One of the advantages of having clear guidelines, and where the players have clear role requirements, and are trained in this, is that you do not become as vulnerable to injuries. Everyone knew that the probability of JR playing 38 games was zero, and that excuse does not hold.

We need better depth. You can’t go from James Allan Docuoure to Siggurdson Davies Gomes and expect to win lots of games. The disparity in quality in our squad is one of the highest in the league. Other teams replace like for like, we replace a very good player with a very poor player.

Still comes back to Brands for me.

We should be well into a cycle now that sees young players brought in and emerging, or doing well already.

Apart from one or two exceptions, where is that talent??

Where are the prospects, or the player signed on the relative cheap thats now worth x4 what we paid for him?

There is only one model for us and thats buy not cheap, but cheaper certainly, and either 1) Sell at a large profit and start the cycle again or 2) Get a baller who will be in the team 90% of the time for the next 10 years.

I can get behind signing James at any time under any circumstances. Allan was brought for expediency more than anything else and I support that too.

But we can't sustain that model. It isn't a model.

Ancelotti can only be as strong as the weakest link here and worryingly, Brands seems to be the weakest link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back