Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the strength of the squad Carrie them through. Ndidi is injured and Praet can come in. Pereira injured and James Justin comes in. They’re never left with a Davies or Siggurdson playing. They’ve kept their key attackers Tielemans and Vardy fit most of the season. We’ve not kept our big gun James fit.

Wes Morgan came off the bench yesterday.

Gyfyli has 8 goals and 9 assists.

James has 6 goals and 8 assists.
how many of them are open play in the league? If James was taking all the pens and was fit all season there wouldn’t even be a comparison.

It’s actually horrible seeing these two names next to each other. Siggurdson is a complete and utter fraud, a con artist who had robbed Everton fans of 4 seasons of their lives. He’s a stain on the club.

This is possibly wishful thinking on my part but I feel Carlo is simply trying to get team to learn how to defend and close out games because we simply haven't got the personnel to dominate.
I think he was using the tail end of last season to get to know the players. Started this season wanting to know how those players would perform with a bit more quality added. Saw that, while we could outscore lesser quality teams we were too vunerable defensively even against the likes of WBA, Brighton and Fulham. And decided he had to build the team from the back. Trying different systems to see which best suited the players available.
It's all been a bit trial and error and the weirdness of this season will also have been a factor.
I'm hopful (hoping) that he now has a clear idea of exactly what we need to progress as a team. I'm also hoping that he and Brands (and Moshiri) have held frank discussions and are on the same page.
I'm sure that, even if I am right, we will have to be patient.

Or I'm wrong and he's a washed up has been who can talk the talk but can no longer walk the walk so is just winging it.

This is possibly wishful thinking on my part but I feel Carlo is simply trying to get team to learn how to defend and close out games because we simply haven't got the personnel to dominate.
I think he was using the tail end of last season to get to know the players. Started this season wanting to know how those players would perform with a bit more quality added. Saw that, while we could outscore lesser quality teams we were too vunerable defensively even against the likes of WBA, Brighton and Fulham. And decided he had to build the team from the back. Trying different systems to see which best suited the players available.
It's all been a bit trial and error and the weirdness of this season will also have been a factor.
I'm hopful (hoping) that he now has a clear idea of exactly what we need to progress as a team. I'm also hoping that he and Brands (and Moshiri) have held frank discussions and are on the same page.
I'm sure that, even if I am right, we will have to be patient.

Or I'm wrong and he's a washed up has been who can talk the talk but can no longer walk the walk so is just winging it.

People won’t agree, but I think he’s putting in place the building blocks to change how we play football for the better.

Under Koeman Silva and Allardyce the football was largely the same. Hitting long balls down the middle or diagonal for DCL or Lukaku to battle for, try and win it back high up the pitch and overload the full backs. It worked to a point especially against lower teams at home but top teams dealt with it so easily and cut us to shreds either on the counter or if they could keep the ball well and we didn’t have the discipline to sit in.

Now we keep trying to play out from the back. It’s not working very often (as in my opinion the players aren’t good enough technically to do it) but we’ve kept trying it all the time. There’s been occasions this season where it had come off and we’ve moved the ball through the phases back to front very well. When Allan and James play the difference in how we do this is marked. If more of the key players involved in the build up (e.g a competent right back, a decent centreback who isn’t Keane, and another competent midfielder) can handle the ball better next season the occurrences of these moves starting to be successful will increase and so will the quality of the football. He’s putting in place tactics that can work with better players, he’s not resorting to kick and rush long ball football which other managers went to.

how many of them are open play in the league? If James was taking all the pens and was fit all season there wouldn’t even be a comparison.

It’s actually horrible seeing these two names next to each other. Siggurdson is a complete and utter fraud, a con artist who had robbed Everton fans of 4 seasons of their lives. He’s a stain on the club.
'A stain on the club' ? That sort of ridiculous hysterical prose is normally employed by opium addled Romantic Poets. Grow up.

Well, what Leicester have done is simply brilliant engineering. They have hired a manager with a clear and distinct philosophy. They have sold expensively, and brought in relatively affordable players in the right age group with great potential. Tielemans was a flop in Monaco, and Ndidi was brought in from Genk.

I know there are several ways to succeed, but this is the way I think is most realistic for Everton. Therefore, I have also been skeptical of signings like Allan and JR, who are clearly on their way down in their careers, but who are of course good individual players. But to build a foundation for success, I'm skeptical of whether it's the right method. We do not have the financial muscle of either Chelsea or Manchester City.

There's more ways to skin a cat.

I will always point out that Leicester have finished above us only 3 times (counting this one) in 7 seasons and had 4 managers while we've been a mess. However in those 3 times - 1 league title and 1 FA Cup.

The things they have going for them are a handful of exceptional players (Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Ndidi) and a 20 a season striker in Vardy surrounded by solid journeymen (Evans, Albrighton).

They took their opportunities when offered. Unlike us who bottle it every time there's a chance to get a stranglehold on something.

Leicester need consistency now to be a top team. To hold on to players when big boys come stiffing. That to me means they've turned a corner. At the moment they can easily go from a top 4 team to a midtable one. That's not having a go. I'm pretty sure @FOXINPEACE would say the same - stay competitive.

As for us...we finish on 62-63 points were in good hands. Leicester finished on 62 last season for 5th. We add on to that total for next season, we're moving forward.

I will always point out that Leicester have finished above us only 3 times (counting this one) in 7 seasons and had 4 managers while we've been a mess. However in those 3 times - 1 league title and 1 FA Cup.

The things they have going for them are a handful of exceptional players (Kante, Mahrez, Maddison, Ndidi) and a 20 a season striker in Vardy surrounded by solid journeymen (Evans, Albrighton).

They took their opportunities when offered. Unlike us who bottle it every time there's a chance to get a stranglehold on something.

Leicester need consistency now to be a top team. To hold on to players when big boys come stiffing. That to me means they've turned a corner. At the moment they can easily go from a top 4 team to a midtable one. That's not having a go. I'm pretty sure @FOXINPEACE would say the same - stay competitive.

As for us...we finish on 62-63 points were in good hands. Leicester finished on 62 last season for 5th. We add on to that total for next season, we're moving forward.
They won't hold on to players, they'll sell them for a £50 million profit and then look for a younger, hungrier version from either the lower leagues or abroad because they have an excellent Director of football and scouting network.

It’s the ‘solid journeymen’ bit that does it for me. Both teams have their stars. Vardy Tielemans Barnes Maddison Ndidi/ James Digne Calvert Lewin Richalrison Allan

But what Leicester have is the likes of Perez, Iheanacho Albrighton Castagne Praet Mendy. Good solid players who can come in and cover for injuries and are actually very solid prem players themselves who can also push the starters.

We don’t have those players. We drop straight from our 5 or 6 stars to players who no other prem club might take Siggurdson Davies Gomes Coleman Keane Bernard. What’s more is our big names (like Richarlison) know that no matter how poor he plays no one is good enough to take his place.

A few more windows of recruitment moving the dross out and increasing competition and perhaps we’ll be at the level Leicester are. You can’t just magic up squad depth and quality though no matter how good a manager you are.

He desperately needs a win tonight, and a comfortable one at that. After all has been said this season, he has a full squad available against the worst side, already relegated, in the league while we are still able to get into the Europa League. He's a great manager, and he needs to show it here tonight or there will be genuine questions asked. He'll never have a squad full of top quality players at Everton, so he really, really needs to learn to get more out of those players he has, particularly at home.

It goes without saying that Leicester will struggle to repeat the top 4 every year, and win the FA Cup. After this season, big clubs will most likely try to sign some of Leicester's players, and they will have to be replaced. It is possible BR disappears, and other personnel. But with this model, they will largely be in the competition to qualify for Europe, and sometimes the top 4.

If you are realistic, a top 4 position will depend on Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool having a very bad season. This also applies to us, we can not compete financially with these clubs.

Yes, our points average this season is good, but at the same time I'm not sure if this is representative of how good we really are. Leeds are 3 points behind us, and Arsenal, who have had one of their worst seasons ever, are 1 point behind us. It's been a strange season, Covid.

James Rodriguez on a free transfer who is clearly our best player when available and has produced a number of magical moments not least sliding through Richardson to score in an away win at anfield.

I jUsT caNt gEt bEhInD tHiS tRanSfer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back