Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt he believed too much in most of the players. Then slowly as the season went on, he realised to a point now that think he knows he can't.

You can get that from the interviews. There's been games where he's been uncharacteristically furious on the touchline. Then in interviews he gradually becomes more and more baffled by what the players are doing.

I'm not removing him from all blame (the wing back idea with Davies and Iwobi was utter madness). But I do think that teams he's managed, he's had players with stronger mentalities that what he has now.

So when he says "each game is a fight for Europe" then the players go out with performances like last night...they're clearly not listening to him.

Said right from the off, he'll suffer no fools. And his statement about bringing quality in last night just proves to me that some of these players should be looking for new homes.

He's been managing great teams for the last 20 years, full of world class players and leaders.

A bit like with Napoli last season he's baffled managing players who aren't up to the standard he's used to

That latest interview really is the end of the line for a lot of these players.

But he's not going to magically replace 10 (or however many) players in one go.

We don't have a team of world class players that need a bit of light management.

Maybe Carlo needs to rethink the benevolent, paternal style of coaching for the situation we're in.

I'm not convinced that works anymore in modern football or the benign training regime we seem to have.

Some thoughts on Ancelotti.
I did scratch my head at 5 defenders starting against a relegated Shef Utd at home.
Best I can think is that they'd switch from 5 to 3 depending on the situation. I also think he might have been giving Holgate one last chance.
He was prob also aware that James wouldn't track back or make 90 mins.
Either way, the set up was wrong and the loss was Ancelotti's fault.
Sending Kean, Walcott, Tosun and Gordon out on loan while only bringing in a championship striker who hadn't scored in the league all season seems like a daft decision, Ancelotti (as well as Brands) has to take responsibility for that.
Bowing to Iwobi's moaning tweet to play at 10 shows weakness too.

In defense of Ancelotti, I think, with covid restrictions and a squad made up from signings from five different managers, it would be miraculous if they maintained the early momentum.
Hopefully a lot of lessons will be learned from this season.
I'm disappointed but I'm happy to give him a lot more time.
Changing manager again would further dilute any team cohesion. If we're going to stick with one for longer than 18 months, it (still) may as well be Ancelotti.

There's the bones of a good team and squad there.
We need a clinical striker, Right back and right winger and maybe a fast midfielder.

Pickford
Mina
Godfrey
Digne
Davies
Allan
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL

I'd sell Iwobi, Delph, Sig, Bernard, Kean, Holgate,
No new contracts for King, Tosun, Walcott etc.
Give Gordon, Braithwait, and Simms another season on loan
And to be honest I'd figure out if Richarlison wants to be here, if not then time to move on.

There also needs to be a lot of work done on fitness and conditioning behind the scenes, no idea how recruitment works there but seems like it needs freshening up.

I'd like to see Ancelotti put out a team that's 70% his in front of a full GP.

I'd genuinely question the inclusion there of mina, digne and davies.
Im also tempted to mention richarlison. Not so much for his ability. But his temperament. He's a guarenteed starter. He's not showing enough to warrant that.

Last night was God awful and I admit the manager is currently failing in solving this home issue.

However, a significantly greater points total with this set of players is just not a realistic expectation. I think we have the 8th/9th best squad in the league so we're about where we should be.

No manager, and I mean no manager, would be doing much better after a season and a half with this group of players, at a club that has got recruitment so badly wrong prior to his arrival. We can't keep complaining of not being able to walk and then shooting ourselves in the foot again by sacking managers all the time.

Patience.

I'd genuinely question the inclusion there of mina, digne and davies.
Im also tempted to mention richarlison. Not so much for his ability. But his temperament. He's a guarenteed starter. He's not showing enough to warrant that.
yea, I hear you.
Mina is a sick note, Digne is coasting on rep. he hasn't been terrible but hasn't been great. Needs a Pienaar type in front of him, and Davies is only there because he put in some performances this season I never thought I'd see.
But for me, all three are good players who can help take us to the point of European qualification.

gut flopping is “where a large bellied individual raises his or her stomach and allows it to drop upon his or her sexual partner in a way that creates a smack sound [and] is an act performed for sexual pleasure." Oh he dreams.
If you could go ahead and stay on topic.. that'd be greeeeeaaat.

yea, I hear you.
Mina is a sick note, Digne is coasting on rep. he hasn't been terrible but hasn't been great. Needs a Pienaar type in front of him, and Davies is only there because he put in some performances this season I never thought I'd see.
But for me, all three are good players who can help take us to the point of European qualification.
To be fair we shouldn't be letting poor performances distort reality: Mina is our best CB when fit and Digne is a top LB. Least of our issues.

That latest interview really is the end of the line for a lot of these players.

But he's not going to magically replace 10 (or however many) players in one go.

We don't have a team of world class players that need a bit of light management.

Maybe Carlo needs to rethink the benevolent, paternal style of coaching for the situation we're in.

I'm not convinced that works anymore in modern football or the benign training regime we seem to have.

Nah, the tactic of calling players garbage and every name under the sun and expecting them to rise to it is history now. Mourinho has showed that time and time again recently. Managers like Clough would never be able to manage as they used to now.

Players egos are massaged from the age of ten. Repeatedly told how great they are and so on. The arm around the shoulder is generally the best. That said there's a massive difference between bollocking them (which we all agree every Everton player needs) and outright abusing them. Ancelloti knows that. Sure I read in the athletic that after one of the games he even let Ferguson five out the bollockings. Which isn't weak. It's knowing what situation calls for what type of management.

All well and good saying he's clearly not getting the team singing but that's a deeper issue than a manager issue. We all know there's a rot at Everton and that ain't changing even if we got Guardiola or Klopp tomorrow.

Last edited:
What about Brian?
Pansy Potter would whip the workshy squad into shape!

Here's a half-time team talk:

1621279441300.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back