Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah the part where people say this is our first push for Europe since 16/17 confuses me
I think that is because we were always fighting uphill to get in that year (The winter period was brutal, we had 3 wins in 14 matches) and it never really looked likely, whereas this year we were in the Euro spots for the majority of the season and then finished with a whimper.

Weird old season.

On the one hand, we’re only outside of the European places by goal difference with our highest points total since the 16/17 season (currently 10 more points than last season).

On the other hand there is a real possibility of only finishing 10th with a pretty dire home record with some pretty poor performances thrown in.

A lot of work needs doing over the summer with ins and outs and I’m still very much of the opinion that if Ancelotti can’t 'fix' Everton, then who the hell can? We’re a long term project which he's only 18 months into.

Our ability to get results away from homes is a major positive and a great base to build from.

Sort it Carlo

Take the good bits! Some of the away performances have been superb ,I can only hope a more dynamic forward line and a midfielder who can cover spaces Allan and Doucoure leave behind and we can really push on,it will be diff next season with near enough full capacity stadia ,and I thought the players in the second half last night responded well to that,the order of the summer is tonnes of pace and mobility in that midfield and at right back

It very much is, we weren’t in and around the Euro places all season under Silva, we only got close from that run of wins from mid March to Easter
So like if we were 5th all year and then went on a run to get within one point of the title but didn't win it that wouldn't be a title challenge?

I'm just not sure I follow the logic.

View attachment 127715
As per this masterpiece from @Jimishorts, take your pick.
@Jimishorts has outdone himself. He could do a coffee book with the stuff he’s done on this forum!! Little disappointed I didn’t crack it but guess I peaked to early and then stopped caring and posting..
but if I could put a case for a spot I was particularly proud of these

Maybe it is knee jerk.. maybe I’m just mad after the most embarrassing I’ve ever seen... but I have to ask.. the question that’s been rolling around since about November...

watching us get lucky against Arsenal and Chelsea along the way that seemed to justify the anti football we throw out every week. I hated those wins.. thanks for the three points but was this the new Everton? Was this what I would have to endure every week? Every win would just mean more of the same.. Fans argued that is a great defensive performance against good sides.. truth: we got lucky.

Then we dish up the same against Leeds, Leicester.. basically play as if we scared of every team that walks into the pitch.. they’re faster, more skilled, we only have player X or Y... whatever excuse we could come up with to justify dishing up anti football week in and week out.. hoping that 15 minutes a game we could turn it on and get something out.
Well it worked on occasion.. especially against better teams that had zero respect for us.. the lesser teams still played like we could hurt them but realised all you have to do is press and run at the midfield. So they are much tougher as they didn’t let themselves get too loose.

keep them out and nick one.. from Utd, to Leicester, to Leeds and Fulham. Do we not believe that players individually costing over £20m across the pitch can’t string 2 passes together at pace?
Can these players not receive the ball under pressure and look to move forward?
Why does our midfield not show for the ball? Why do we literally pass from the opposing third all the way back to our keeper without getting the ball into the box?

I can’t get my head around any of those questions.. I have often moaned about every one of those points during the matches but let it go after. I keep hope that we waiting on this player or that.. that those moments of inspiration during mostly rubbish games will ignite the team to believe in themselves and to attempt to play football .. not this absolute embarrassment of anti football we dish up every single week.

I say it every game.. I believe we are better than the play they dish up. Which leads me back to the tactics and team psychology.
Which leads me back to Carlo.

and the question.. is Carlo just a better groomed version of Sam Allardyce.. I can’t shake the question that no matter who we have in our 11... this is what we have to look forward to. Negative, slow, lethargic football until they score or we get lucky.

Rant over. I normally just hide in The Ale House thread till my cloud dissipates .. this time I had to get it off my chest.

Decided my own posts can't mirror the football I'm watching and have decided to try and measure "objectively" how successful Carlo is this season so far.
We have 2 measures.. performance and results.
1. Performance. Do we play football that fans want to watch, would pay hard earned money that they can enjoy with their bright eyes kids who dream of free flowing football.. or at least some joined up stuff with a few moments of creativity .. but giving it a go in short.
2. Results. Easily objective.. Results set you free etc.

I have done my own assessment (pic at the bottom of the post). On performance I assess us at 5.11/10 on average. We have won games ugly for quite some time and ridden our luck by not controlling the match.. we survived games and won.
Results. 85% .. I assessed this that if 2 points on average is the target and would give 100%. 46/54 = 85%. That's superb.
I would weight them 70/30 on results meaning Carlos is averaging 75% on his scorecard...

In summary.. effective but not pretty.

View attachment 120632

So like if we were 5th all year and then went on a run to get within one point of the title but didn't win it that wouldn't be a title challenge?

I'm just not sure I follow the logic.
We’ve not been lower than 9th at any point this season, we’ve stayed consistently in the European hunt despite our woeful home form, that season we were in and out of the bottom half until the last 10 games, we were looking nowhere like European contenders up until then. That clearer?

We’ve not been lower than 9th at any point this season, we’ve stayed consistently in the European hunt despite our woeful home form, that season we were in and out of the bottom half until the last 10 games, we were looking nowhere like European contenders up until then. That clearer?
But we ended up pushing for Europe did we not?

In an ideal world he’s a serviceable squad player that can fill in and do a job, who was free and on moderate wages and won’t want to leave. However it is not an ideal world, so he should be starting every game for us at this moment in time as we don’t have anyone better.
I think he is better than you are giving him credit for our results with him in the team are better than when he is on the bench.

There is a say
He's a good squad player, you need a few of those. We tend to play better when he starts. People get really upset with him and say he's terrible just because he's not a really top player.
He is also very young although he has played a number of games.
He will continue to improve.

But we still did make a late push for Europe didn’t we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back