Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone should be questioning Ancelotti's credentials or ability. The bloke is a brilliant manager.

We've just seen in the last few games that our squad has been badly exposed.

My disappointment is that Ancelotti hasn't found a way around that. It is on the players not being good enough, but he's made some poor decisions too.

Throw in Brands leaving us short and it's a big melting pot of crap.

We have got three 'winnable' games coming up @coollino , but every game in this league is winnable this season and we lost the last three so I don't really think that should mean much.

Leeds have been poor recently but have the players to hurt us especially if, as expected, they have Phillips and Rodrigo back by then, for example.

We're so reliant on Richarlison to make us tick as an attacking unit and that's a worry. Appreciate it's difficult to replace someone of his playing style, but we shouldn't be that one-dimensional.

How did he do that?

I mean we need more than one way of playing because - as we’ve seen - we’re a suspension or injury away from looking like a very easy team to defend against.

stop James and then just stop Digne getting a cross in to Dom.

that can be worked on by coaching but ultimately we also need better players. That should have been addressed more than it was in the window - which overall was good - but again missing one or two vital pieces
Yeah, but when you inherit a team as poor as he did, to even get one way of working to happen is a start. He did well in a single window, I am sure that come next summer, he can address a lot more of the issues that we have, in the meantime I suspect we start to pick up a load of points again now.

We are indeed one or two injuries in certain places from being very average, but we were very average before hand, so the fact we are one or two recoveries from being quality is a massive step forwards imo.

I for one won't be turning on Carlo, he gets all the time he needs and these wasters need to step up to the plate, we have to many from the last few years who simply can't seem to motivate themselves to care about winning enough to put top effort in. Carlo gets until he has built his own side, until then, I have seen it all before from these players and they take the lions share of blame

It's why I have a certain degree of sympathy with Silva. He was probably not good enough to get us to where we want to be but he didn't exactly have much to work with. If you've got an average squad, it's very likely you'll end up in average league positions.

Yeah, but when you inherit a team as poor as he did, to even get one way of working to happen is a start. He did well in a single window, I am sure that come next summer, he can address a lot more of the issues that we have, in the meantime I suspect we start to pick up a load of points again now.

We are indeed one or two injuries in certain places from being very average, but we were very average before hand, so the fact we are one or two recoveries from being quality is a massive step forwards imo.

It's one step forward and two back thinking about next summer, though.

If we don't get Europe this year, I imagine Richarlison goes, even if just to balance the books. That means an entirely new way of playing again.

This season is a massive, massive chance to do something. Luckily the table is so congested that one or two wins can change everything.

But there's so much more risk this season. The fixture congestion early in the campaign clearly led to fatigue which our players have suffered from since the last international break. There's a catch up of 3-4 games to be made early in the new year, plus hopefully getting through in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Throw on top of that the additional risk of COVID quarantine, which could see a player miss anywhere between 2 and 5 games.

Since we were left short at the end of the window (or maybe imbalanced is a better way to put it - no right winger, no quality rotation option for up front etc), then there has to be an alternative way of playing.

At the moment we can't defend and, without Richarlison, can't attack very well either. It's not a great mix.

I'm sure after a couple more windows for Carlo Ancellotti, and the shifting out of certain players, all will be fine in the blue part of our World. Patience is the key.
It’s whether a man who could walk into a decent team guaranteed Europe, is willing to wait a few more windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back