Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, first post here and I'm not here to troll, but I had to single this out. I don't see how you can complain about "fixture congestion" when teams have been playing in Europe as well as playing all the same fixtures you have. At one point, Spurs had 8 games in 18 days, one of which involved a 3000 mile round trip to Bulgaria before their trip to Old Trafford 2 days later.

I don't think that really compares to travelling from Goodison to Fleetwood and then London in the space of a week.

Fact is, performances have dropped off because you were relying entirely on Richarlison, whose actions in the derby got him suspended for 3 weeks. You're also relying a lot on James, who is already showing signs of the injury-prone player he was known as elsewhere (come on, asking to be subbed after 80 minutes because you're tired? That's embarrassing.)

I personally like to see Everton doing well. But the biggest part of doing well starts with the mindset. You have to get out of this mentality that you're hard done to. You're not as disadvantaged as quite a few other teams are in the league, and comparitively you've had quite an easy set of fixtures to start with compared to some teams.
Hopefully your first post is also your last. Ya condescending rs.

From a possible 11 starting players from our squad, I would say he is happy with:
Digne
Coleman
Keane
Allen
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL.

8 from a starting 11 isn't bad but when you have previously spend X amount of money, we should have at least depth in our squad.

Players like Pickford and Gomes could be seen as replaceable and Iwobi and Bernard are very much square pegs.

Come January, I expect at the very least a right winger.

From a possible 11 starting players from our squad, I would say he is happy with:
Digne
Coleman
Keane
Allen
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL.

8 from a starting 11 isn't bad but when you have previously spend X amount of money, we should have at least depth in our squad.

Players like Pickford and Gomes could be seen as replaceable and Iwobi and Bernard are very much square pegs.

I would also argue that he’s happy with the 2nd center back options being both Holgate and Godfrey developing and Mina for more physical slower games.

We desperately need a proper attacker who likes to run at people like Richarlison and ideally could play across the front 3 and a better option than Gomes or Sigurdsson for the 3rd CM. Doubt we’ll get a keeper in January but I really hope this is the last Pickford season.

Digne
Coleman
Keane
Allen
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL.

Is that not more a list of who you're happy with though? Rather than there being any evidence that Ancelotti isn't happy with some of the others I mean. I said the other day, we assume he isn't happy with Sigurdsson because we're not, but he has a funny way of showing it if that's the case, seeing as he's given him game time in literally every single game he's been available for since he took over. Not sure there's anything to suggest he's not happy with Mina or Holgate either really. Again, i'd hope he's not happy with Mina but i'm not sure I have any real reason to believe that's the case.

Is that not more a list of who you're happy with though? Rather than there being any evidence that Ancelotti isn't happy with some of the others I mean. I said the other day, we assume he isn't happy with Sigurdsson because we're not, but he has a funny way of showing it if that's the case, seeing as he's given him game time in literally every single game he's been available for since he took over. Not sure there's anything to suggest he's not happy with Mina or Holgate either really. Again, i'd hope he's not happy with Mina but i'm not sure I have any real reason to believe that's the case.
This is spot on.

There’s only one position to me where Ancelotti has proved he’s not happy with his options and that is up in the front three. Thank God so far we haven’t had to go without Dom but in the two games without just Richarlison he’s chopped and changed between Bernard and Iwobi (with Gordon getting a bit at S’ton) and then in the game without both Richarlison and James he’s gone with 5 central midfielders over any of our alternatives for the front three roles.

while I think he’s made mistakes, especially at Newcastle, it paints a pretty bleak picture of the imbalance of the squad in that area of the pitch

Digne
Coleman
Keane
Allen
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL.

What of Holgate?

Hello. Tell me how playing the victim mindset has been healthy for your lot.
It hasn't. Although I'd say we do have good reason to have gripes, and there's evidence we've suffered more than other clubs, especially in regards to VAR.

But that wasn't my point, it was more in reference to the people complaining about fixture congestion, when you have a much lighter schedule than many other teams. I'd say teams in Europe are more justifiably allowed to be miffed than those who aren't, including Everton.

The major problem is you needed to sign a Forward when Walcott left. You're sorely lacking in that department. You also need, in my view, a Plan B. Ancelotti seems to play with a Plan A but doesn't seem to have an alternate method of play if things are going wrong. That's a pretty old-fashioned mindset. It's not his fault, but I think getting him a younger Number 2 who's properly trained in modern tactics might help in that department. I know you're going to hate me saying it, but that's what's helped Klopp. Pep Lijinders is only 35 and versed in different tactics and styles than Klopp. It's why Buvac leaving actually helped us, as we could promote Pep and implement his style. Ancelotti has Paul Clement, who's been with him everywhere. That can actually be a hindrance, as they're more inclined to fall back on the same tactics they've always used. I also think having his son is a massive mistake, it's pure nepotism, and as trained as he is on paper, he's quite clearly not the right fit.

The less said about Duncan Ferguson being on the staff, the better. His dogs of war mentality, left over from Royle, is why you're making reckless challenges and losing players to suspensions. It might work if you want only to stay up every year or stay in the mid-table, but if you want European football and Top 4, it's just wrong and silly. Nobody wins the league these days by being a team of [Poor language removed]-houses.

You have a genuinely great player in Richarlison, but you're ruining him by forcing him to play like Diego Costa or Suarez. It isn't his style. You've got a genuine Brazil international playing for you, let him play like one!

Sorry, first post here and I'm not here to troll, but I had to single this out. I don't see how you can complain about "fixture congestion" when teams have been playing in Europe as well as playing all the same fixtures you have. At one point, Spurs had 8 games in 18 days, one of which involved a 3000 mile round trip to Bulgaria before their trip to Old Trafford 2 days later.

I don't think that really compares to travelling from Goodison to Fleetwood and then London in the space of a week.

Fact is, performances have dropped off because you were relying entirely on Richarlison, whose actions in the derby got him suspended for 3 weeks. You're also relying a lot on James, who is already showing signs of the injury-prone player he was known as elsewhere (come on, asking to be subbed after 80 minutes because you're tired? That's embarrassing.)

I personally like to see Everton doing well. But the biggest part of doing well starts with the mindset. You have to get out of this mentality that you're hard done to. You're not as disadvantaged as quite a few other teams are in the league, and comparitively you've had quite an easy set of fixtures to start with compared to some teams.
Or fully embrace it and turn it up to 11 like your lot.

It hasn't. Although I'd say we do have good reason to have gripes, and there's evidence we've suffered more than other clubs, especially in regards to VAR.

But that wasn't my point, it was more in reference to the people complaining about fixture congestion, when you have a much lighter schedule than many other teams. I'd say teams in Europe are more justifiably allowed to be miffed than those who aren't, including Everton.

The major problem is you needed to sign a Forward when Walcott left. You're sorely lacking in that department. You also need, in my view, a Plan B. Ancelotti seems to play with a Plan A but doesn't seem to have an alternate method of play if things are going wrong. That's a pretty old-fashioned mindset. It's not his fault, but I think getting him a younger Number 2 who's properly trained in modern tactics might help in that department. I know you're going to hate me saying it, but that's what's helped Klopp. Pep Lijinders is only 35 and versed in different tactics and styles than Klopp. It's why Buvac leaving actually helped us, as we could promote Pep and implement his style. Ancelotti has Paul Clement, who's been with him everywhere. That can actually be a hindrance, as they're more inclined to fall back on the same tactics they've always used. I also think having his son is a massive mistake, it's pure nepotism, and as trained as he is on paper, he's quite clearly not the right fit.

The less said about Duncan Ferguson being on the staff, the better. His dogs of war mentality, left over from Royle, is why you're making reckless challenges and losing players to suspensions. It might work if you want only to stay up every year or stay in the mid-table, but if you want European football and Top 4, it's just wrong and silly. Nobody wins the league these days by being a team of [Poor language removed]-houses.

You have a genuinely great player in Richarlison, but you're ruining him by forcing him to play like Diego Costa or Suarez. It isn't his style. You've got a genuine Brazil international playing for you, let him play like one!
I have genuinely no idea what you're talking about here. What style does he have and how are we forcing him to play differently?

You clearly know nothing about Richarlison if you think his style has ever been typical Brazilian and comparing him to that animal that bites people on a football pitch is completely insulting to his character.
Richarlison is always at his best when he’s narky and fired up and he has always tracked back and put in tackles outside our box, even when he played up front, that is in his game, not something we make him do.
Oh, and your other comparison, Diego Costa, is Brazilian.

If you’d watched us at all over the past few years since Duncan’s been on the staff, you’d know that our squad is littered with some of the most timid cowards in the league.
Never heard any of this mentioned until the derby, and now all of a sudden we play like peak Wimbledon, because that Dutch dinner lady hurt his leg in a 50-50 challenge.

'...The less said about Duncan Ferguson being on the staff, the better. His dogs of war mentality, left over from Royle, is why you're making reckless challenges and losing players to suspensions. It might work if you want only to stay up every year or stay in the mid-table, but if you want European football and Top 4, it's just wrong and silly. Nobody wins the league these days by being a team of [Poor language removed]-houses...'

So what is your take on Mane punching an opponent in the face at Anfield a few weeks ago and getting away scot-free?
So what is you take on VVD trimming out James in the first minute of the Derby a few weeks ago?
What is your take on Carragher throttling an Everton player in the six yard box of the Clattrenberg Derby in the last minute and getting away scot-free?
What is your take on the Dirk Kuyt two-footed, off-the-ground, challenge on Neville in the same Derby:
AfPxY7g.jpg

What is your take of the Gerrard tackle on Naismith in the Derby at Anfield years ago?
And what is your take on this tackle:
Qe0I0Uh.jpg

You talk about a 'Dogs of war' mentality in our club. I suggest you take a good look at the things your club have done over the years, and got away with...

Digne
Coleman
Keane
Allen
Doucoure
James
Richarlison
DCL.

Not sure about Coleman, ok he probably see’s out this season. But no chance he starts RB next season. Also we have 4 CB. I don’t see all them 4 at the club at the start of next season.

So again I don’t really see Keane as a long term option as a first choice CB moving forward

Carlo now has to manage a mid-table team with about 6 team positions that need an upgrade, top earners
who are not any good, and the realization that if Dom gets injured then the season ends.

What annoys me is that EFC offer less when attacking than Villa, Leicester, or a few others. The script looks similar to the way it played out with Martinez and Silva: early optimism then harsh reality, defeatism and so the cycle reasserts itself at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back