Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one step forward and two back thinking about next summer, though.

If we don't get Europe this year, I imagine Richarlison goes, even if just to balance the books. That means an entirely new way of playing again.

This season is a massive, massive chance to do something. Luckily the table is so congested that one or two wins can change everything.

But there's so much more risk this season. The fixture congestion early in the campaign clearly led to fatigue which our players have suffered from since the last international break. There's a catch up of 3-4 games to be made early in the new year, plus hopefully getting through in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Throw on top of that the additional risk of COVID quarantine, which could see a player miss anywhere between 2 and 5 games.

Since we were left short at the end of the window (or maybe imbalanced is a better way to put it - no right winger, no quality rotation option for up front etc), then there has to be an alternative way of playing.

At the moment we can't defend and, without Richarlison, can't attack very well either. It's not a great mix.
Cant agree its one forward, two back. Knocked off top spot last week after some sublime football has ben played this season, no way a regression from last year.
Yeah we need a contingency plan for when we need to play differently, but our main plan is superb, and having to create a secondary tactic is surely better than previously when we barely had a primary tactic?

It's one step forward and two back thinking about next summer, though.

If we don't get Europe this year, I imagine Richarlison goes, even if just to balance the books. That means an entirely new way of playing again.

This season is a massive, massive chance to do something. Luckily the table is so congested that one or two wins can change everything.

But there's so much more risk this season. The fixture congestion early in the campaign clearly led to fatigue which our players have suffered from since the last international break. There's a catch up of 3-4 games to be made early in the new year, plus hopefully getting through in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Throw on top of that the additional risk of COVID quarantine, which could see a player miss anywhere between 2 and 5 games.

Since we were left short at the end of the window (or maybe imbalanced is a better way to put it - no right winger, no quality rotation option for up front etc), then there has to be an alternative way of playing.

At the moment we can't defend and, without Richarlison, can't attack very well either. It's not a great mix.

Sorry, first post here and I'm not here to troll, but I had to single this out. I don't see how you can complain about "fixture congestion" when teams have been playing in Europe as well as playing all the same fixtures you have. At one point, Spurs had 8 games in 18 days, one of which involved a 3000 mile round trip to Bulgaria before their trip to Old Trafford 2 days later.

I don't think that really compares to travelling from Goodison to Fleetwood and then London in the space of a week.

Fact is, performances have dropped off because you were relying entirely on Richarlison, whose actions in the derby got him suspended for 3 weeks. You're also relying a lot on James, who is already showing signs of the injury-prone player he was known as elsewhere (come on, asking to be subbed after 80 minutes because you're tired? That's embarrassing.)

I personally like to see Everton doing well. But the biggest part of doing well starts with the mindset. You have to get out of this mentality that you're hard done to. You're not as disadvantaged as quite a few other teams are in the league, and comparitively you've had quite an easy set of fixtures to start with compared to some teams.

Cant agree its one forward, two back. Knocked off top spot last week after some sublime football has ben played this season, no way a regression from last year.
Yeah we need a contingency plan for when we need to play differently, but our main plan is superb, and having to create a secondary tactic is surely better than previously when we barely had a primary tactic?
But we can’t create a secondary tactic because the players we have in reserve can’t do the job - that’s what the last three games have proved.

there was absolutely no excuse for not getting a ‘forward’ in in the last window - someone to play across the line. We needed one before Kean and Walcott went.

you have to mitigate risk and give yourselves the best chance - we didn’t do that

It’s very easy to become one dimensional, especially as our primary plan - as you put it - involves flogging our front three

But we can’t create a secondary tactic because the players we have in reserve can’t do the job - that’s what the last three games have proved.

there was absolutely no excuse for not getting a ‘forward’ in in the last window - someone to play across the line. We needed one before Kean and Walcott went.

you have to mitigate risk and give yourselves the best chance - we didn’t do that

It’s very easy to become one dimensional, especially as our primary plan - as you put it - involves flogging our front three
The backup players are the previous first team, they can win games, they are just not very good at it. This is why our priority was to get at least one method of playing that works, to go from none to one is not one step forwards two back imo.

It's a good start, if we build on this and develop some contingencies we will do very well this season.

Though I do agree that when chasing a game, he could do with someone more uplifting than the mighty Cenk Tosun to inspire us to victory.

Sorry, first post here and I'm not here to troll, but I had to single this out. I don't see how you can complain about "fixture congestion" when teams have been playing in Europe as well as playing all the same fixtures you have. At one point, Spurs had 8 games in 18 days, one of which involved a 3000 mile round trip to Bulgaria before their trip to Old Trafford 2 days later.

I don't think that really compares to travelling from Goodison to Fleetwood and then London in the space of a week.

Fact is, performances have dropped off because you were relying entirely on Richarlison, whose actions in the derby got him suspended for 3 weeks. You're also relying a lot on James, who is already showing signs of the injury-prone player he was known as elsewhere (come on, asking to be subbed after 80 minutes because you're tired? That's embarrassing.)

I personally like to see Everton doing well. But the biggest part of doing well starts with the mindset. You have to get out of this mentality that you're hard done to. You're not as disadvantaged as quite a few other teams are in the league, and comparitively you've had quite an easy set of fixtures to start with compared to some teams.

Hello. Tell me how playing the victim mindset has been healthy for your lot.

You were doing quite well until then lol

Some absolute cyarses on here.

I really don't understand it either. After a defeat, I tend to just want to bury my head in the sand for a bit. I don't want to watch MOTD, I don't want to read the papers, and I don't want to come on here to read stuff. So I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming on and actually writing stuff. Be it negative or positive.

Some right weirdos coming on just to whinge.

Anyway, in relation to the football: We are were we expected to be. Things are slightly skewed because we've had two runs of form that are in many ways polar opposites, but as I say, we are were we probably all hoped we would be come the end of the season, so not too much to cry about really.

In relation to Carlo, he needs at least another 2 transfer windows to get us competing for top 4 over a full season. We ALL knew this in the summer, but guess that doesn't suit some agendas.

Some good points there but James wasn't asking to be subbed because he was tired, it was because he had been out the week before still suffering from his bollock injury caused by Van dykes reckless 'tackle' which obviously only got about 2 minutes of air time

The backup players are the previous first team, they can win games, they are just not very good at it. This is why our priority was to get at least one method of playing that works, to go from none to one is not one step forwards two back imo.

It's a good start, if we build on this and develop some contingencies we will do very well this season.

Though I do agree that when chasing a game, he could do with someone more uplifting than the mighty Cenk Tosun to inspire us to victory.
My frustration is that in the last two games when chasing it Ancelotti has done what Silva used to - lump Tosun on and try and go 4-4-2, but with nobody creative to get the ball into the area anyway.

of course we have a better platform to build on than what we did but there is absolutely no way any fan can look at our squad objectively and not see a glaring hole up front and an imbalance.

We seem to want to play 4-3-3 as our primary plan, as you put it. Yet if one or two players aren’t available by the looks of it then unfortunately we can’t play it very well.

That boils down to poor squad management - having Iwobi Bernard and Tosun (who have 6 or 7 goals between them over the last year IIRC) as alternatives for those front positions is daft, and should have been addressed.

Some absolute cyarses on here.

I really don't understand it either. After a defeat, I tend to just want to bury my head in the sand for a bit. I don't want to watch MOTD, I don't want to read the papers, and I don't want to come on here to read stuff. So I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming on and actually writing stuff. Be it negative or positive.

Some right weirdos coming on just to whinge.

Anyway, in relation to the football: We are were we expected to be. Things are slightly skewed because we've had two runs of form that are in many ways polar opposites, but as I say, we are were we probably all hoped we would be come the end of the season, so not too much to cry about really.

In relation to Carlo, he needs at least another 2 transfer windows to get us competing for top 4 over a full season. We ALL knew this in the summer, but guess that doesn't suit some agendas.
Agree with this, particularly the effect of two contrasting periods of form. If we had not had the start we had and you balance 13 points across 8 games we would be viewing this as progress.

Averaged out for a season its about 61 points. Not league winning, not top 4 but definite progress and in contention for europa spots. That's about right for now. Add further windows and then expect further progress.

That said our continuing ability to have 4/5 game spells without picking up any real points is a woory and needs eradicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back