Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also see where you are coming from. January will be an interesting month to see if we bring anyone in and what impact that has.

Also, it’s nice to have someone post a sensible counter-argument without resorting to petty insults so some no marks can lap it up.

We will be streaky and inconsistent this season. In a way Ancelotti has always been this way, at his best his teams can deliver world class performances home or away against anyone as he showed at his previous teams, at his worst they’ll lose games they should easily win. Unfortunately now though there seems to be an expectation that teams should he’d ping what City and Liverpool have been doing and smashing everyone home and away each season regardless of which teams they put our. The reality is we’re nowhere near that, when we get even a single injury our team is impacted and we have to change shape or bring in personnel who aren’t as good. Sometimes we’ll get punished for that. We started well, we were then absolutely rank performance wise for three games, and then we seem to have been a bit up and down since but picking up points. We’re still in touch with the european places and to be honest given the lack of quality and depth in the squad and the shambles of the last few seasons I’d take that for Everton about now. Of course I want better, everyone on here does, but I think there’s some green shoots that are pointing towards sustained progress which is what you and others have been calling for.

Improved form of individual players: DCL, Digne, Keane have never played better in their careers than now.

New signings: Allan, Godfrey, James, Doucoure all look like the players we thought we were getting and have all improved the first team. This is a world away from us buying player after player for big fees and all of them turning to rubbish as soon as they got through the door.

Less draws: We don’t seem to throw away as many leads as we used to. When we’re defending a lead under Carlo late on in games everyone feels confident.

Set pieces: These blighted us under Martinez and Silva. No one is talking about them any more and we’re good offensively on them.

The height of the team is better, we’re slowly but surely adding some more pace and physicality with Godfrey and Doucoure, and we now seem to have a few players in Allan Godfrey Holgate Richarlison DCL who look up for the scrap.

There’s so much work still fo be done but I think we’re in a miles better position than we have been at any point since Martinez’s first season. People can make ana regiment for the opposite and they may be proved to be right in time, but I think we’re putting in place some key pieces for a good team moving forward under Carlo.

We will be streaky and inconsistent this season. In a way Ancelotti has always been this way, at his best his teams can deliver world class performances home or away against anyone as he showed at his previous teams, at his worst they’ll lose games they should easily win. Unfortunately now though there seems to be an expectation that teams should he’d ping what City and Liverpool have been doing and smashing everyone home and away each season regardless of which teams they put our. The reality is we’re nowhere near that, when we get even a single injury our team is impacted and we have to change shape or bring in personnel who aren’t as good. Sometimes we’ll get punished for that. We started well, we were then absolutely rank performance wise for three games, and then we seem to have been a bit up and down since but picking up points. We’re still in touch with the european places and to be honest given the lack of quality and depth in the squad and the shambles of the last few seasons I’d take that for Everton about now. Of course I want better, everyone on here does, but I think there’s some green shoots that are pointing towards sustained progress which is what you and others have been calling for.

Improved form of individual players: DCL, Digne, Keane have never played better in their careers than now.

New signings: Allan, Godfrey, James, Doucoure all look like the players we thought we were getting and have all improved the first team. This is a world away from us buying player after player for big fees and all of them turning to rubbish as soon as they got through the door.

Less draws: We don’t seem to throw away as many leads as we used to. When we’re defending a lead under Carlo late on in games everyone feels confident.

Set pieces: These blighted us under Martinez and Silva. No one is talking about them any more and we’re good offensively on them.

The height of the team is better, we’re slowly but surely adding some more pace and physicality with Godfrey and Doucoure, and we now seem to have a few players in Allan Godfrey Holgate Richarlison DCL who look up for the scrap.

There’s so much work still fo be done but I think we’re in a miles better position than we have been at any point since Martinez’s first season. People can make ana regiment for the opposite and they may be proved to be right in time, but I think we’re putting in place some key pieces for a good team moving forward under Carlo.
Let’s hope you are right. We have a period of very tough, high pressure games coming up and it will be interesting to see how we deal with them.

If we can stay in touch with the league leaders over the festive period then we should hopefully be in a strong position to improve in January assuming our injuries clear up. If you’d have said before the season started that we’d be 7th place and 2 points of the CL spots after 12 games, I’d have taken it for sure.

Let’s hope you are right. We have a period of very tough, high pressure games coming up and it will be interesting to see how we deal with them.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us battered in some, win some we weren’t expecting, lost two, win two on the spin, and come out in the new year still in touch with the top 6/7.

Some fans may not like this, but for me I’d much rather see this type of team than the ones under Koeman and Silva. Under them you knew if it was top 6 away we couldn’t win, if it was an away game it was highly unlikely we’d win, if it was bottom 13 team at home we’d hopefully win but also thered be a lot of draws. There were always so many draws that gave the illusion of us being in consistent form.

Ancelotti’s teams are unpredictable but at least it gives people a bit of hope. Ancelotti seems to be less fearful of a loss and because of that we might incur some losses like Leeds at home that would have been draws under other managers, but this approach also means we’re far more likely to win games away from home than we ever were in the past when we had a mindset that a draw was enough. I don’t think Ancelotti ever sets up to draw, he goes for a win and if we fail and we lose then he accepts that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us battered in some, win some we weren’t expecting, lost two, win two on the spin, and come out in the new year still in touch with the top 6/7.

Some fans may not like this, but for me I’d much rather see this type of team than the ones under Koeman and Silva. Under them you knew if it was top 6 away we couldn’t win, if it was an away game it was highly unlikely we’d win, if it was bottom 13 team at home we’d hopefully win but also thered be a lot of draws. There were always so many draws that gave the illusion of us being in consistent form.

Ancelotti’s teams are unpredictable but at least to gives people a bit of hope.

I feel our best chance of success under Carlo is the cups.

He seems more a cup manager than a league one when you look at his career overall.

Thats why the quarter final is so huge against Utd - win that and you just never know.

I feel our best chance of success under Carlo is the cups.

He seems more a cup manager than a league one when you look at his career overall.

Thats why the quarter final is so huge against Utd - win that and you just never know.

Absolutely. If we have a period of time under Ancelotti then the one thing I want him to do here is end our trophy drought. An FA cup or league cup win would absolutely revolutionise this club and give the fans some much needed pride back.

Ancelotti’s teams are unpredictable but at least it gives people a bit of hope. Ancelotti seems to be less fearful of a loss and because of that we might incur some losses like Leeds at home that would have been draws under other managers, but this approach also means we’re far more likely to win games away from home than we ever were in the past when we had a mindset that a draw was enough. I don’t think Ancelotti ever sets up to draw, he goes for a win and if we fail and we lose then he accepts that.
I don’t necessarily think Ancelotti never sets up to draw. The line up against Newcastle was a joke. They were there for the taking and we paid them far too much respect.

In one summary he abandoned an isolated wing back not used being wing backs ....and played a winger in front of a defender which has occasionally filled in at fullback - total difference was a more compact team ...... a win & a clean sheet - simple as that - we rode pour luck to v a very good side - why he thought he could do it v other teams is mind-boggling .......hence the defeats....

When one looks at our injury list and the team yesterday exactly what more players do we want, okay some backup like to DCL but ideas every one else?

When one looks at our injury list and the team yesterday exactly what more players do we want, okay some backup like to DCL but ideas every one else?

New keeper.

New first choice right back.

Backup left back.

Three new midfielders to go with Allan Doucoure Gomes.

A first choice right winger

A left winger

A central striker to cover and compete with DCL.

So just the 9 players to get somewhere towards a decent squad.

That would then allow us to turf out Lossl, Kenny, Davies Delph Sigurdsson, Tosun without any impact on the first team squad.

We could then make a call on Iwobi Gbamin Nkonkou Gordon and see if given opportunities they were good enough to contribute to the squad.

That for me would give us depth in every position and enough options to change formations should we pick up any injuries.

Right now we’re one injury in any position apart from centreback away from panic stations.

As great a servant as he has been, we need a new starting RB to replace Seamus I think, or at least be able to rotate with him.

Think we also need another quality CM and then either a backup striker for DCL or another wide forward like Richy so he can play CF if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back