Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we'd flirt with relegation with many other managers. Marco Silva being a prime example. Ancelotti can attract better players - so he needs to be let do that. Then we can move higher. But I agree that the squad isn't good enough yet - even with the better players Carlo brought in so far (though we've barely seen Allan).
We were laughably bad under Silva and the players had given up. Its not a relegation standard squad. Over the past few years we've been between 8th - 12th. Thats about par for any manager for us.

I love carlo but to change the defence and keep pickford was criminal. Digne left mid and iwobi ahead of Holgate looked made for this game.
Just don’t understand this. Oh and I love Carlo just hope he can drop players like Coleman and Pickford.

TBF this squad should be up there; the problem is one of mentality rather than quality.

Look at all of us - we know what they are going to be like after about 10 minutes; the same applies to them and has done for years.

Really? That is massive over rating of what we have. Just look at how we play against the best teams in the league. Even against Leicester we had to sit back and pretty much surrender the midfield to them.

There will be spells in the season where we look good but the consistency is never gonna be there. As a club we've got to get out of the habit of thinking these type of players are good enough to be at the top. They are mid table players who will always get mid table results.

No Europe and I think he’ll be off

If he wants Europe he needs to have a proper plan B in place with his current set of players. Passing backwards and sideways around the back gets us nowhere. I’m the first to praise him when he gets us a decent result but the last two performances have been hard to take.

It would also help having some depth and alternative options. Constantly says he’s happy with his team. How can he be happy with one attacking minded player on the bench? Seriously?

Don't think he got it wrong tried to pick a more progressive team against a rank Newcastle outfit, it failed because the players let him down, Newcastle wanted it far more today. We were second to everything all over the park, our crossing from our fullbacks was awful, our play listless with no sense of urgency, our one inventive player was systematically kicked all over the field in the first half, the ref was poor, but where were our players not surrounding the ref, just accepting it.
Our forward players, Ritchie, DCL are out of form, Iwobi was poor to and I know the squad needs culling, but we needed a goal today a boost, not one forward on the bench. I honestly think if we don't buy/ loan a striker/ winger before the window shuts our season which has been pretty good all year, will just fizzle out to mid table,
and that will be a tragedy and a great chance missed in my eyes. We were so poor today, Newcastle could have had five with better finishing, we hardly created anything all afternoon. Keane and Mina were bullied all day by Wilson a bread and butter centre forward who could have scored four by himself.

Bad today. Really bad.

THe change was a daft one. The switch should have been to 3-4-3, Holgate and Gomes on for Sigurdsson and Coleman - I'm no fan of it but it would have pushed the wing-backs up, and had support around Dom.

Don't blame him for the state of the squad but he needs to think of a way to beat teams that come and sit back against us.
Man, if only there was some way to improve the squad in the middle of the season. Like...I don't know a window or something.

Really? That is massive over rating of what we have. Just look at how we play against the best teams in the league. Even against Leicester we had to sit back and pretty much surrender the midfield to them.

There will be spells in the season where we look good but the consistency is never gonna be there. As a club we've got to get out of the habit of thinking these type of players are good enough to be at the top. They are mid table players who will always get mid table results.

that is the right way to play Leicester though - it was the right way to play Wolves, and but for Pickford we'd have won that (edit: the Leicester game)

We aren't very good but neither are most of the other teams apart from City and Mordor. Should be beating teams like this though. Its not as if we had penalties turned down and shots cleared off the line it was easy for them.
Ancelotti has to be criticised for this. Losing to better sides fair enough but he has to get them motivated and didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back