Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because we defended corners badly we should blow the whole thing up?

No

But if you concede 13 you're likely to give up a chance no matter how solid you are.

Coleman as an attacking full back is absurd. He cant attack so why upset our solidity. Digne defensively was atrocious today. We should be keeping clean sheets against that sort of opposition yet they created 5 clear cut chances. It was a shambolic performance and both full backs stunk the place out.

No

But if you concede 13 you're likely to give up a chance no matter how solid you are.

Coleman as an attacking full back is absurd. He cant attack so why upset our solidity. Digne defensively was atrocious today. We should be keeping clean sheets against that sort of opposition yet they created 5 clear cut chances. It was a shambolic performance and both full backs stunk the place out.

And defending corners/set plays counts too. Those goals against still matter, and having bigger players in who like heading the ball makes a difference.

If we don't get Europe this year then I think we're in for a tough year next season.

Yes we should have a much leaner squad but we then need to recruit genuine quality. Its not easy at all and if we lose one or 2 on top of that, we are in for a struggle.
We need to recruit genuine quality regardless. Getting into Europe won't make Doucoure, Coleman, Pickford and company good players all of a sudden. We still aren't there as a squad. And James and Allan are 30.

You look to that bench to change things and it’s just beyond woeful.

My only criticism today is play the players with futures here like Holgate and Godfrey. Even Davies should be getting in ahead of Sigurdsson.

I’m sick to death of Coleman and the like who’ve just had their day.
I can understand to an extent why they were rested, because of the short space between games but it’s desperately sad seeing Coleman decline so much

The honeymoon is over. I thought we'd run into turbulence in early December, but was six weeks out. My mistake was that this squad actually does better against more progressive sides. We had Arsenal, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, etc. over that period. But gives us a West Ham, Leeds, or Newcastle and we come a cropper. Leeds next, isn't it? I could see us losing that 3-0. Throw in a cup exit and Carlo is definitely up against it then...

Of course, I'd give him a contract for life. I have complete faith in him, but there's no point hoping for top four or even top six without significant funds to allow him to attract the players others simply couldn't.

I've heard people spout this nonsense since the days of Martinez and since then we've had 5 managers including Carlo.

Footballs a results business and if you aint in europe your best players leave and/or clubs who do sneak into europe like Leicester can strengthen and overtake you.

James and Allan are both 30 this year and will also slowly be on the decline and will need replacing as does Coleman now.

We can't stand still saying "it'll be sound in 3 years lads" as 3 years becomes 5 and 5 then becomes 10 and before you know it we are 26 years without a trophy.

At some point the club have to grow a set and sort out this go with what we've got knife to a gunfight crap mentality thats seen us become a running joke.

We all knew what was needed last summer - we let Kean and Walcott go and didn't replace either. We have let Coleman become past it yet still captain and a first teamer. We've let Pickford consistently let in howlers but let him become untouchable. We've let DCL and Richarlison turn crap as they have no competition whatsoever pushing them for a starting place.

Time to koff with the excuses as far as im concerned. Back Carlo or just call it a day and appoint a steady Eddie with 40 points as the aim each season.

I think you are raging at the club there more than my opinion on how Carlo might see it

I could be wrong, it was just an opinion

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t expect us to do absolutely everything I’d like in the summer, but I fully expect that we have a squad that next season where we aren’t discussing urgent needs but natural progression of a good solid core.

I personally am happy with more outs and that we wait for summer. If we were coming from a stable base as a club/squad in the recent past I’d probably be shouting out for some kind of attacker and a right back. But given the mess we have made of recruitment until recently I’m okay with it as it is. I fear replacing the crap we have gotten rid of with more players that we will be screaming to sell in two years.

The honeymoon is over. I thought we'd run into turbulence in early December, but was six weeks out. My mistake was that this squad actually does better against more progressive sides. We had Arsenal, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, etc. over that period. But gives us a West Ham, Leeds, or Newcastle and we come a cropper. Leeds next, isn't it? I could see us losing that 3-0. Throw in a cup exit and Carlo is definitely up against it then...

Of course, I'd give him a contract for life. I have complete faith in him, but there's no point hoping for top four or even top six without significant funds to allow him to attract the players others simply couldn't.
We do better away from home.

You look to that bench to change things and it’s just beyond woeful.

My only criticism today is play the players with futures here like Holgate and Godfrey. Even Davies should be getting in ahead of Sigurdsson.

I’m sick to death of Coleman and the like who’ve just had their day.
Fair point I would have played Tom today, dont think he played badly on Wednesday. I also think Holgate and or Godfrey should have took the right back position. We didnt look as assured at the back today but we should have had enough to beat this Newcastle team.

No, I don’t bristle at stuff like that. I generally just don’t engage because as I’ve just said given the context of our squad and where we have come from I see nothing that concerns me enough to even be discussing it. It’d be different in a season or two but for now. Nah

If I do bristle it’s at certain types of posts

I wasn’t sure with your reply tho what exactly you were disagreeing with
I disagree that I was exaggerating for one. If you haven’t seen people saying the things I mentioned you mustn’t come on often. I also disagree that the same people don’t contradict themselves depending on the result. You go on a middle finger spree every time someone says anything about Ancelotti, fair enough if that’s not you bristling, it just seems a bit... bristly.

I think you are raging at the club there more than my opinion on how Carlo might see it

I could be wrong, it was just an opinion

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t expect us to do absolutely everything I’d like in the summer, but I fully expect that we have a squad that next season where we aren’t discussing urgent needs but natural progression of a good solid core.

I personally am happy with more outs and that we wait for summer. If we were coming from a stable base as a club/squad in the recent past I’d probably be shouting out for some kind of attacker and a right back. But given the mess we have made of recruitment until recently I’m okay with it as it is. I fear replacing the crap we have gotten rid of with more players that we will be screaming to sell in two years.

I get that mate but thats where a DOF/ the club scouts are worth their salt.

You look at some of the deals/players done this window and you have to say some would have done a job on the bench.

Willian Jose - better than Toshun gone out on loan to Wolves

Sanson - £17 million to Villa and better than all of Davies, Gomes and Sigurdsson.

Lingard on loan - average player but would he offer more with his pace off the bench than say a Gordon or Bernard? probably which says it all.

Players like Dzeko available on loan aswell - I haven't an issue with the board not spending big this month as for me it is risky and tbh should have been done in the summer just gone but we could easily bring in 1-2 loans or small gamble punts but we seem happy to do nothing and pray we get lucky with injuries/form of our best players when we get countless injuries and our two biggest threats in DCL + Richarlison have been woefully out of form for ages.

CA is building a team and a squad and we are not near being good enough yet.... he knows that better than anyone.

He is still learning about his players and his team. He will have learned more today than in most games.

We need more players but almost certainly won't get them this month.

If Bolasie,Bernard and maybe one or two others leave this month then that clears space for arrivals in the summer.

We certainly need more pace in the team as I think generally we tend to be one paced.
I think we may have learned that Godfrey and Holgate need to start as full backs at the moment, I think that Davies needs to start ahead of Gomes and Sigurdsson..we probably saw today what he does bring to a team.
JR is a class act but we must realise that needs the right players around him to allow him to play.
Richarlison is also a class player but is not somebody to lift a struggling team.

Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi, Coleman and a couple of other need to not all start in the same team but can be useful as squad players.

We are short three or four players and we are so short of pace it is worrying.
I don't think we should be too surprised yet when we get a few results like this and I do think the manager probably picked the wrong side on the day ,I think he made a mistake leaving out both Godfrey and Holgate. I think leaving Davies out was also a mistake.

I am sure the manager will know all this better than any of us.

I disagree that I was exaggerating for one. If you haven’t seen people saying the things I mentioned you mustn’t come on often. I also disagree that the same people don’t contradict themselves depending on the result. You go on a middle finger spree every time someone says anything about Ancelotti, fair enough if that’s not you bristling, it just seems a bit... bristly.

But I skip over way more posts than I react to :)

I don’t mean exaggerate as in totally unrealistic. I agree there are posters like that, just think you overdid it a bit. And now that you mention it I can probably think of a couple of posters in the subset you are on about

If you were talking about those that talk about top 4 spots one week and next absolute raging about everything being a disgrace, then there’s loads of those and they do my head in

So because we defended corners badly we should blow the whole thing up?
No

We better sign a new player if we want a proper rb who can attack and defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back