Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wanted him to say we are in the hunt and he was saying if we win on Thursday we can go 4th

He’s just being clever and keeping the pressure loaded onto Liverpool and Chelsea. He probably knows these players can’t deal with the expectation and that the media would love us to get cocky then fail. I’d be amazed if privately he wasn’t absolutely gunning for a run at 4th though.

I'm a big fan of Ancelotti. However, I dont think that comment about wanting to "touch top 4" is particularly helpful to us.

It may be seen as taking pressure off a team that hasn't been able to shoulder the burden of expectation. But we should be hearing the manager saying something like: 'we might not be favourites to make top 4, but in the past we've seen the club in the top 4 many times; so why not at the end of the season?'

In short: dont set the bar too low. I get the feeling Ancelotti is shooting for a EL place; do that with these players and they'll get you mid-table.
I think he aiming for top 4 he just doesnt want to say it publicly, we had managers giving it the big I am before and failed. He focused on the next game not the next 12. What’s the point of adding unnecessary pressure on the team

So we are completely over winning at Anfield after 22 years of hurt. All because we lost against Southampton. One game takes away from that achievement?

Wait hang on we won again last night. 2 points off 4th with a game in hand. WTF is going on in here.

It's a win to the happy clappers.

For people like I, who has a deeper understanding of the beautiful game, it was no different to a loss.

I think he aiming for top 4 he just doesnt want to say it publicly, we had managers giving it the big I am before and failed. He focused on the next game not the next 12. What’s the point of adding unnecessary pressure on the team

Yep, he’s been consistently saying just stay in there. The reality is though that staying close to 6th always gives you an opportunity to go for 4th at the end. It’s taken the pressure off the players, when we’ve lost it’s not a college disaster, just win the next one and we’re still in a decent position. A far cry from previous managers having us in 12th in February then putting pressure on us to win every game to maybe get Europe.

People are jumping on him saying touch 4th. Course we are likely to touch it. He has no control over the Chelsea/Liverpool game or what West ham do. He would look very daft if he said we will be 4th and stay there on Thursday. The fact we are in March and he can say that is fantastic.

I'm not overly bothered this season in the grand scheme of things, I want Europe, I really want Europe but if we don't get it, when I look back on this season, if I look at football as a whole and not just the league table then I am absolutely chuffed at the improvement that has been made to some of the younger individuals.

Carlo has markedly improved Dom, Tom, Pickford(going off last 2 games shows he's in a different place mentally), Keane, Mason, added Godfrey in there and that's a core group of fairly young players who have shown significant improvement under carlo, it only bodes well going forward. I think the ingredients are only missing a bit of seasoning and we could be a force again.

The vibes people are putting out there after winning at Anfield and winning the follow up game. I am still buzzimgnover Anfield I can't even obsorb this latest victory. How can you actually be in a bad mood. If we lose against wba its thier fault. Poisoning the collective consciousness and you just know they be in here full of bluster with 'i told you so.

Odd way to support a team.
by the Bucket Load

They wanted him to say we are in the hunt and he was saying if we win on Thursday we can go 4th
There are better ways to get that message over, compete with, become equals, for instance. Touch the top four is a bit of an odd comment as far as I am concerned even for someone that isn't speaking his first language, something akin to the German chap from Satan's team.

What I suggested was not placing pressure on the team. It would more appropriately reflect the reality. We are one win off top 4. Why deny we aren't at least in the shake up for top 4? We dont have to say we're favourites to get a top 4 place.

I don’t even think it’s about putting pressure on his players, I think behind the scenes him and the players believe they can get top 4 and that’s great. It’s more about managing fans expectations more so than anything. If he comes out and say we CAN get top 4 then loses to West Brom and Chelsea he’ll be slaughtered by many and the press.

Thats the miserable people of GOTs job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back