Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are better ways to get that message over, compete with, become equals, for instance. Touch the top four is a bit of an odd comment as far as I am concerned even for someone that isn't speaking his first language, something akin to the German chap from Satan's team.
What he said was. Win on Thursday and we are 4th but for how long I don’t no 2 or 3 days, may even be for an hour

People are jumping on him saying touch 4th. Course we are likely to touch it. He has no control over the Chelsea/Liverpool game or what West ham do. He would look very daft if he said we will be 4th and stay there on Thursday. The fact we are in March and he can say that is fantastic.
Sack him I say just too much negativity in his mutterings.;)

What I suggested was not placing pressure on the team. It would more appropriately reflect the reality. We are one win off top 4. Why deny we aren't at least in the shake up for top 4? We dont have to say we're favourites to get a top 4 place.

You kind of answer your own question though Dave. He is trying to keep the pressure off a group of players who, lets be honest, don't really respond well to it.

There are better ways to get that message over, compete with, become equals, for instance. Touch the top four is a bit of an odd comment as far as I am concerned even for someone that isn't speaking his first language, something akin to the German chap from Satan's team.
Why is everyone jumping on the turn of phrase used by a non-native speaker of English. If you did a literal translation of the phrase into Italian you could choose between two words ‘toccare’ which means to touch or to reach. He probably meant ‘reach’.

What I suggested was not placing pressure on the team. It would more appropriately reflect the reality. We are one win off top 4. Why deny we aren't at least in the shake up for top 4? We dont have to say we're favourites to get a top 4 place.
We know what this team is like and as you said loads of time, they only play when there no pressure on them.
WBA is under normal Everton managers is a loss. Change to go 4th and heap the pressure on everyone else and we fail.
He's been laughing it off for the last few games

This underplaying what a teams ambition is, is being overplayed by managers everywhere. Unless a team is 10 points ahead none of them say they are chasing the title.. and by extension teams in our shoes refuse to say they are in the hunt for 4th. Has Moyes said they are yet? (Maybe its actually a question).
This wanting to take pressure off publicly then push the team behind closed doors (I assume they do).. I don't know. I feel you giving the team permission to drop standards, not push as hard as possible that real expectations bring. To me its basic human nature - meet expectations, happy with the excuses we couldn't have done more or played with more intensity with the belief that we are expected to be a top team.. I see it in the psychology of the team especially against the weaker sides. We drop our standard of play to their level instead of showing our superiority.

Would be handy to try and improve the goal difference imo. It could well come down to that.

Seen a scathing article in the Red Echo about the GD last night by Kirkbride echoing that GD could be vital in finishing for a European spot.

Not often Kirkbride breaks ranks and goes rogue.

You kind of answer your own question though Dave. He is trying to keep the pressure off a group of players who, lets be honest, don't really respond well to it.
Saying you may not be favourite to get top 4 wouldn't place undue pressure.

In fact, for a manager of a club who are top 4 if they win the next game not to recognise they are in the shake up sounds a bit daft and an obvious ploy to take pressure off...which fools no one.

Would be handy to try and improve the goal difference imo. It could well come down to that.

Doesn’t help much that we only have one outlet for attacking options really. I know it’s on him to change and try different approaches but we are literally confined to one side for creativity. If we are struggling to make anything happen from the left then we depend on set pieces only. He really really reallllly needs to get that right side sorted during the summer.

Saying you may not be favourite to get top 4 wouldn't place undue pressure.

In fact, for a manager of a club who are top 4 if they win the next game not to recognise they are in the shake up sounds a bit daft and an obvious ploy to take pressure off...which fools no one.

Are you talking about Ancelotti? What makes you think he doesn't recognise Everton are in the shake-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back