Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had some decent away days where players seem to understand their roles, but it's a basic plan of defend the 0-0 and a goal is a bonus.

Too often, especially at home, this side take to the pitch as though they are complete strangers week after week. The players look like they don’t know what the plan is or don’t believe in it, there’s no cohesion as a team, there’s no combinations anywhere and no motivation. In the early weeks the alarm bells should have sounded when WBA and Brighton waltzed through our midfield at will. We set up terrified of Leeds and Newcastle while Rotherham even came and passed us off the park. We looked like we never learned from any of those home losses at all and that is extremely worrying.

It’s hard to say what comes next as we don’t know the plan but it sounds like it’s spend big once again. I fear we’re just kicking the can down the road waiting for the inevitable crash.

Depends on the circumstances. If he’s backed in the market and brings in more first team playersand they stay reasonably fit and there’s still no progression next season then yes it would be time to question if he is the right man.

If, however. the club give him Olsen on a perm, a backup striker and a new right back as his only additions, then we get into the season and Allan James are missing most of it again and our new right back has been crocked. Then we’re right back to the same gutless players playing week in and week out and lo and behold we’d probably end up bottom half again.

It might shock you that I’m not a massive Carlo super fan. There’s some good stuff he’s done in my opinion, and there’s some stuff that I just can’t understand why he’s done it. What I’m more interested in is that we root out the core problem at the club rather than always just firing a manager. If like you said we have drastically changed the profile of the squad and there’s no comparison between it and the 17/18 wasters then yes let’s assess the manager at that point. But at the moment I just think any assessment of any manager is not that effective because the majority of this group consist of players who have seen Martinez Koeman Allardyce Silva fired.

It makes me worry that if we pulled the trigger on Carlo, then the next manager would be looking at another long term rebuild whilst trying to get results using the same players who have failed every other manager.

Fair point I wasn't been funny just more getting a scope of everyones general feelings.

I know im pinned as being Carlo Out but im genuinely on the fence as I dont think he's done a good job but likewise I wouldn't lose sleep if any of these players left the club either as they aint that good.

I think its fair Carlo does get next season but for me personally its make or break I need to see some progress after 2 and a half years at the club.

I dont see why we kept Brands on as if the issue at present in many peoples eyes is the recruitment then why keep on the fella who's spent £270 million in 3 years to develop that squad/bench of players?

He knows that it's a rebuild. I don't think that's ever been a secret.
He has a funny way of showing it. The two players I'd defo attribute to Ancelotti last summer: James and Allan, are not the future of any club.

In retrospect, I think we can all see they were expensive mistakes: late in their careers, injury prone, unmotivated, slow.

If Carlo has players like that in mind again this summer we are snookered.

Honestly, can you see Ancelotti blending youth and purchases of players who have good potential? Because that's what's needed here. And that job is beyond Ancelotti. He's a manager who's tweaked class outfits and gives a great club 5%-10% added value. That's not required here. Obviously.

I have no axe to grind with him whatsoever, but if he walked today I'd be relieved.

If I'm Carlo and in his position: a member of the great manager's club; nothing to prove; massively rich already; cracking on a bit - I'd run a mile from this job.

It entails a Herculean effort to gut a squad that an incompetent DoF shows no aptitude for, and it requires me personally scouting my own players and putting in the work doing that AND coming up with a new approach to the football club where youth has to be blended with purchases from sales plus a bit of cash AND a fashioning a way of playing that is more expansive, as befits the needs of this league.

The fact his son is here with him and employed by the club might be complicating it for him but, IMO, the honourable and sensible thing would be to come to an arrangement with Moshiri and walk away and leave this massive rebuild for someone with the appetite and hunger for it.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an experiment that's doomed to failure. He is palpably the wrong manager for this club at this moment in time. He just cant have the motivation or skills to create again from pretty much scratch a club with this lack of talent and this much expectation from fans.

If he stays I'd back him; but IMO it's the time for him to move aside and let it go.

This would be my biggest concern, has he got the stomach for all that.

If his answer is not a resounding yes, then we are doomed to more of the same or worse.

It's not a direct correlation to Ancelotti, but I did think pre his appointment that we needed another tracksuit manager with age on his side, and the mental and physical appetite for the rigours required. We need someone with 1980s Alex Ferguson zeal.

Side by side with that, the autonomy and additional time for managing transfers in and out.

That's not to say Ancelotti isn't up to those demands but its reasonable to speculate.

It's also reasonable to suggest that he probably finds the job much tougher than he envisioned.

why is it doomed to failure? They’res no logical reason for you to say this.

pretty sure Carlo knew we woudnt be champions over night etc.

time/players are needed and patience

if he didn’t think he could do it he woudnt be here Dave

let’s crack on aye
We've gone backwards under him. I've had a season and a half experience of watching his teams to recognise that. That time he's had here has been wasted. Why do you think adding more time to his tenure changes anything? The methods he deploys are by and large redundant in this league.

We need to be blooding younger players and have needed to for a while now, but Ancelotti wont countenance it. He keeps Iwobi in the first team squad and punts someone like Gordon out on loan. His mistakes are piling up.

Let's just cut our losses and end this. If we dont, we'll lose another 18 months to arive at the conclusion we can draw now.

He has a funny way of showing it. The two players I'd defo attribute to Ancelotti last summer: James and Allan, are not the future of any club.

In retrospect, I think we can all see they were expensive mistakes: late in their careers, injury prone, unmotivated, slow.

Honestly, can you see Ancelotti blending youth and purchases of players who have good potential? Because that's what's needed here. And that job is beyond Ancelotti. He's a manager who's tweaked class outfits and gives a great club 5%-10% added value. That's not required here. Obviously.

I have no axe to grind with him whatsoever, but if he walked today I'd be relieved.
Your ramblings and predictions on the witch-hunt thread make all your opinions worthless and redundant

Fair point I wasn't been funny just more getting a scope of everyones general feelings.

I know im pinned as being Carlo Out but im genuinely on the fence as I dont think he's done a good job but likewise I wouldn't lose sleep if any of these players left the club either as they aint that good.

I think its fair Carlo does get next season but for me personally its make or break I need to see some progress after 2 and a half years at the club.

I dont see why we kept Brands on as if the issue at present in many peoples eyes is the recruitment then why keep on the fella who's spent £270 million in 3 years to develop that squad/bench of players?

At this point I’d just do anything that meant Everton broke this horrific cycle of the past 30 odd years. Sack the manager, back the manager, sack all the players, rip the training centre down. At this point I’d go for anything that meant we could compete again in the near future and weren’t the embarrassment of football every single season.

He has a funny way of showing it. The two players Ild defo attribute to Ancelotti last summer: James and Allan, are not the future of any club.

In retrospect I think we can all see they were expensive mistakes: late in their careers, injury prone, unmotivated, slow.

We had a midfield of Davies, Gomes, Siggy, Delph going into this season. He brought in 2 experienced players with better quality.

They're not the issue as they're an improvement and we're attainable, who we're ready to fit into the first team. You're pointing to 2 of our better performers this season while forgetting that 90% of the squad he didn't buy, are complete flops under multiple managers.

The man's not soft. He's not going to clog up the team with aging players who won't add anything.

He looks frustrated and angry in my book. Sent shots out to his players multiple times.

It's the toughest job he's ever had IMO. To expect another manager will come in and not find the same problems that they're unable to fix without a clear out, is madness.

If he went...we'd be in a lot worse position IMO as we'd get another manager willing to give most of these players "another chance"

This would be my biggest concern, has he got the stomach for all that.

If his answer is not a resounding yes, then we are doomed to more of the same or worse.

It's not a direct correlation to Ancelotti, but I did think pre his appointment that we needed another tracksuit manager with age on his side, and the mental and physical appetite for the rigours required. We need someone with 1980s Alex Ferguson zeal.

Side by side with that, the autonomy and additional time for managing transfers in and out.

That's not to say Ancelotti isn't up to those demands but its reasonable to speculate.

It's also reasonable to suggest that he probably finds the job much tougher than he envisioned.
I see a summer of expensive flops unsuited to this league being brought in to cover up the cracks in a building that needs major renovation.

I understand where you are coming with this.

We definitely need to bring in younger players to give energy and desire to the team. We also need to still have a team in three years time.

Let’s see what summer brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back