Computer games.

I struggled with it too. Clearly an incredibly well made game but a style of game I'm not used to and I didn't really enjoy. It's so intense and you never really get a second to breathe. I ended up playing it on the second easiest setting and still found myself often out of ammo and just trying to run away. I'm used to being able to use cover in first person shooters but that just doesn't exist in Doom.

Got right to the end and just can't beat the end boss. I call it Mrs Mcb.

Wouldn't say it's junk as such - it just seems bang average. A 7/10 thing.

Dunno, maybe playing it is different, but I've watched a few streamers and they all look frustrated. Like they went in expecting the game of the PS4 generation and ended up with a middle of the road affair.
“Bang average” lol

I’ve played a fair few games in my time and it’s anything but average...

Not really. I think the gameplay shares a lot of similarities withResident Evil and stealth games such as Hitman. The game does take a lot of “time outs” to flesh out the story, but the quiet times are often needed after the intense bits.

I regard action games now as inferior if it doesn’t have an open world. Inferior compared to the open world. No matter how good the graphics, if the game relies on pre-determind corridors to advance down I honestly don’t see a difference between them and games from the 80’s / 90’s.
It’s just the same game experience but different skin.

Having an expansive map and the ability to approach a game from both action and exploration perspectives is a must for me.

I regard action games now as inferior if it doesn’t have an open world. Inferior compared to the open world. No matter how good the graphics, if the game relies on pre-determind corridors to advance down I honestly don’t see a difference between them and games from the 80’s / 90’s.
It’s just the same game experience but different skin.

Having an expansive map and the ability to approach a game from both action and exploration perspectives is a must for me.
That's completely fair enough and I can take your point. But surely you have to judge a game based on what it is trying to do and not what you wish it was. I absolutely love this game due to the story and the gameplay that goes along with that makes it what it is.

As I said earlier in the thread, I couldn't get on with Doom Eternal but I can appreciate it as an amazing example of that genre. I wouldn't call it inferior though, it's just a different type of game.

Bought Doom Eternal now it's dropped to under £30. Have played about an hour so far, and it's good but a bit samey, even in its early stages... plus I'm continually running out of ammo, which doesn't make it any easier. But I've hardly played any games throughout lockdown, so it's quite good to get back into it a bit with a decent pick up & play game.
I struggled with it too. Clearly an incredibly well made game but a style of game I'm not used to and I didn't really enjoy. It's so intense and you never really get a second to breathe. I ended up playing it on the second easiest setting and still found myself often out of ammo and just trying to run away. I'm used to being able to use cover in first person shooters but that just doesn't exist in Doom.

You gotta run the chainsaw on the demons/zombies who only need 1 fuel unit to hack into two.

Oh, and cover in Doom.......movement is your cover. Get the dash ability and it gets quite a bit easier to not get hit.

It's absolutely true that games companies blacklist "unreliable" outlets. Games reviews are notoriously corrupt.

Google Driv3rgate, Jeff Gerstmann with Kane & Lynch etc.

They aren't "paid" reviews as such, but there is an implicit understanding that you don't annoy big studios unless the game is undefendably bad.

With TLOU2, there's probably a bit of that going on but mostly I think it's a disconnect with game critics desperate to view their medium as art and the majority of gamers who are adverse to the slightest bit of change as they're mostly teenagers.

Further to this, Jim Sterling has put out an excellent video on it with examples.

Got a bit tipsy after the derby and decided to get The Last of Us 2, and the entire Dark Souls series (and, apparently pre order Ghost of Tsushima)

“Working from home” is gaining a different meaning

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back