Computer games.

I used to think it was all about open world games but find that formula is pretty stale nowadays, linear games allow for much stronger and focussed narrative in my experience. Open world just ends up being a bit of a jumbled mess, drive here, do mission, drive somewhere else, do mission... rockstars approach is especially poor, so much repetition.

I used to think it was all about open world games but find that formula is pretty stale nowadays, linear games allow for much stronger and focussed narrative in my experience. Open world just ends up being a bit of a jumbled mess, drive here, do mission, drive somewhere else, do mission... rockstars approach is especially poor, so much repetition.

Respectfully disagree. You’re doing exactly the same thing just in an entirely limited space.

Take Red Dead 2. I just find myself wandering around, tracking animals, discovering stuff. Literally sitting on top of that mountain watching clouds go by. Linear games are pretty disposable after theyre finished, spoonfeeding you to level up and playing the game exactly how they want you to.

Respectfully disagree. You’re doing exactly the same thing just in an entirely limited space.

Take Red Dead 2. I just find myself wandering around, tracking animals, discovering stuff. Literally sitting on top of that mountain watching clouds go by. Linear games are pretty disposable after theyre finished, spoonfeeding you to level up and playing the game exactly how they want you to.

Disagree but i think all single player games are disposable once you clock them, being able to walk around a pretty open world and pick flowers or whatever pointless game padding nonsense they put in gets old after about 5 minutes.

They felt fresh about 10 or more years ago but now they are all just the same with the same old formulas, game loops and the same old crappy side quest structures which take away focus from the proper narrative.

Should also mention that I think video games in general are just an objectively bad medium for story telling relative to books, film and television... and that open world games magnify this even more.

Last edited:
Disagree but i think all single player games are disposable once you clock them, being able to walk around a pretty open world and pick flowers or whatever pointless game padding nonsense they put in gets old after about 5 minutes.

They felt fresh about 10 or more years ago but now they are all just the same with the same old formulas, game loops and the same old crappy side quest structures which take away focus from the proper narrative.

Should also mention that I think video games in general are just an objectively bad medium for story telling relative to books, film and television... and that open world games magnify this even more.

Im feeling like you’ve grown apart from video games here. Not a bad thing but to claim pointless nonsense - they’re games, you can have all kinds of experiences with any games be it cards or the most detailed VR.

tenor.gif
This is just weird.

To clear up the confusion, I entered email linked to the old account which I don't think I ever used but, as I was in a hurry to play gta I carried on.
Then the system said my post wouldnt be visible until I'd made 5 posts as it was a 'new' account.
So, entered the correct details and resent message.

Gta5 update - mission was successful.

You would love the last of us part 2 mate.

Thoughts on the upcoming Xbox Series X & PS5? Worth buying on release?
I'll be buying a PS5 on release. Excited by a couple of the release games (HZD 2, Spider-Man and AC Valhalla specifically) and personally never had a reliability issue with a Playstation console. Still have my day one PS4 and have played it a hell of a lot over the past 7 years.

However, if you aren't that bothered by any of the release games then might be worth waiting and see how the 2 are shaping up.

I'll be buying a PS5 on release. Excited by a couple of the release games (HZD 2, Spider-Man and AC Valhalla specifically) and personally never had a reliability issue with a Playstation console. Still have my day one PS4 and have played it a hell of a lot over the past 7 years.

However, if you aren't that bothered by any of the release games then might be worth waiting and see how the 2 are shaping up.
I wanted a Series X on release but I’m going to wait. Not bothered by any release games so no point really. Had PS4 before Xbox one (because more friends had it), but it kept deleting saved data so got rid after 6 months

Yeah, I remember at the end of PS3 we had 2 notable swan songs in TLOU and GTAV, meanwhile I think the only game of interest (for me at least) on the PS4 was Killzone Shadow Fall.

Agree with @Osamabindiesel, always a probability of some early batch hardware issues. Worst I had with my slightly older PS4 was it's the first time I've had to replace a controller.

...also this time some of us are gonna "need" to upgrade our TVs too.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back