Computer games.

Had PES 4, but didn't think the gameplay was as good. It was slower and less responsive. I guess the counter argument is it is more 'sim-like," but I prefered the fast, precise arcade action.
They were completely different games initially made by different parts of Konami.

One didn’t evolve into the other, ISS got swallowed up by ISS Pro (Winning Eleven in Japan and what morphed into PES here). My favourite was PES 4 on the PS2 but loved ISS 98 on the N64 too. But there’s almost no point comparing them given how different they were.

They were completely different games initially made by different parts of Konami.

One didn’t evolve into the other, ISS got swallowed up by ISS Pro (Winning Eleven in Japan and what morphed into PES here). My favourite was PES 4 on the PS2 but loved ISS 98 on the N64 too. But there’s almost no point comparing them given how different they were.
I know. I hate the fact Konami 1) Had the ISS team try and ape the Pro Evo game for GameCube. It was a wonderful game in its own right, and they actually complimented each other.

2) As it was not as commercially successful (did they keep ISS Nintendo exclusive?) they killed the franchise.If there was no ISS there would never have been a PES in the first place! When it first came out the called ISS Pro Evo, or something like that.

I guess the more arcadey feel is partially fulfilled by FIFA, but it simply isn’t in the same league.

I know. I hate the fact Konami 1) Had the ISS team try and ape the Pro Evo game for GameCube. It was a wonderful game in its own right, and they actually complimented each other.

2) As it was not as commercially successful (did they keep ISS Nintendo exclusive?) they killed the franchise.If there was no ISS there would never have been a PES in the first place! When it first came out the called ISS Pro Evo, or something like that.

I guess the more arcadey feel is partially fulfilled by FIFA, but it simply isn’t in the same league.
I think it was actually the ISS Pro series which was a PlayStation exclusive. And then when PS became more popular than N64 they went with that version.

It’s been a good few years since all that so I may have it mixed up but that’s how I remember it.

I think it was actually the ISS Pro series which was a PlayStation exclusive. And then when PS became more popular than N64 they went with that version.

It’s been a good few years since all that so I may have it mixed up but that’s how I remember it.
Sounds about right. It’s criminal. With ISS you could have success with long ball, one touch, through balls, wing play, the lot!

Sounds about right. It’s criminal. With ISS you could have success with long ball, one touch, through balls, wing play, the lot!
I think there were a few things that made ISS Pro more attractive (to me and my friends at least). One was the through balls which were so good even back then. And the absolute screamers you could unleash with Larcos and Davids (weirdly Holland were licensed). Also that game invented the feint round the keeper and the lob. And then Master League just took it to another level.

As much as I loved ISS on N64 it didn’t do those things as well. I probably haven’t played any games as much in my life as I did those ISS Pro/Pro Evo Games on the Playstation. God I miss football games being that much fun.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back