Computer games.

I got DayZ for PS4 the other day. It’s buggy as hell at times and the graphics and some animations could probably pass for a PS3 game. It’s pretty decent so far and better than I feared it would be based on some of the horrendous reviews.

I made the mistake of firing my gun at a zombie and suddenly about 7 of them were chasing after me. I met a few random friendly survivors including one American guy who begged me for a gun and some food, and also one ba$tard who shot me on the spot.

The zombies are a lot tougher than I expected too.

I think there were a few things that made ISS Pro more attractive (to me and my friends at least). One was the through balls which were so good even back then. And the absolute screamers you could unleash with Larcos and Davids (weirdly Holland were licensed). Also that game invented the feint round the keeper and the lob. And then Master League just took it to another level.

As much as I loved ISS on N64 it didn’t do those things as well. I probably haven’t played any games as much in my life as I did those ISS Pro/Pro Evo Games on the Playstation. God I miss football games being that much fun.
Thats funny - I could do all those things, and most importantly, with more control, in ISS 98. The biggest difference to me was the controls were much 'looser' in PES, so I never felt I was in total control all the time.

This is interesting. Compare this:

To this:

This comment was really good on ISS 98:

ISS 98 for me is the greatest football game of all time. ISS 2000 was more polished and realistic but was also a much slower game. 98 was frantic and whilst 2000 is a very good game, 98 is much more fun to play.

I miss football games like this - it took real skill to play the game well, the manual passing was superb - and the game punishes you if you rely on auto passes. Football games these days look great but rely on the auto pass: the computer basically does the work and because of this both FIFA and Pro Evo tend to fall into a generic Barca style of play. ISS 98 made you do the work yourself but in return allowed you to play whatever style of football you liked, and everyone had their own way of playing. Great contrast of styles with some people playing intricate passing, some dribbling at every opportunity, others pumping long balls and kicking lumps out of the opposition... probably the dirtiest football game of all time!

It has its flaws - it's far too easy to go round the goalkeeper and to retain the ball when dribbling. Injury time lasts almost as long as the half itself - it's not uncommon to score 3 goals in injury time at the end of the match - and a lot of goals are scrappy rebounds. None of that really matters though. The game engine is so good and it's so fast and so much fun, it all adds to the experience. I've never seen a game that has a similar effect on people emotionally, it's pretty much impossible not to get carried away playing it!
Show less

Last edited:
The fouling was wonderful - it really felt like you were chopping them in half with the Rumble Pak. Also, you could even dive and try to get penalties and free kicks. More often you would get a booking (unlike real life!)

ISS 98 made you do the work yourself but in return allowed you to play whatever style of football you liked, and everyone had their own way of playing. Great contrast of styles with some people playing intricate passing, some dribbling at every opportunity, others pumping long balls and kicking lumps out of the opposition... probably the dirtiest football game of all time!

Rings a bell. Can't remember for sure but there was a ISS game around that time that I use to play as Norway because you could really effectively use good headers of the ball. Big punt into the corner, whip a cross in and goal.

A big major criticism of tlou2 i see all over the net is that it’s miserable and dark...erm am I missing something here? Are we talking about tlou?

Last edited:
A big major criticism of tlou2 is see all over the net is that it’s miserable and dark...erm am I missing something here? Are we talking about tlou?

Story is crap mate, levels are ok but gets boring fast and oh no Abbys been captured and we have to leave our family to go and zzzzzzz

The fouling was wonderful - it really felt like you were chopping them in half with the Rumble Pak. Also, you could even dive and try to get penalties and free kicks. More often you would get a booking (unlike real life!)
I remember doing that once with a friend on the half way line and got his carragher sent off.

Was laughing for ages because it was the only time it worked

I got DayZ for PS4 the other day. It’s buggy as hell at times and the graphics and some animations could probably pass for a PS3 game. It’s pretty decent so far and better than I feared it would be based on some of the horrendous reviews.

I made the mistake of firing my gun at a zombie and suddenly about 7 of them were chasing after me. I met a few random friendly survivors including one American guy who begged me for a gun and some food, and also one ba$tard who shot me on the spot.

The zombies are a lot tougher than I expected too.

I sunk a lot of hours into the mod years ago and a fair few in the standalone on PC.

Some great stories come along, though I don't think it's for everyone (the BuT tHeReS nOthINg tO dOOoooO crowd) - you just make your own adventure. I remember joining a cannibal death cult on one server that ended up torturing people and feeding them to each other and they got a bit too weird.

I still remember crawling through my first town, too scared to stand up and being so happy to find a tin of beans. Was well worth the £20 I paid anyway!

Story is crap mate, levels are ok but gets boring fast and oh no Abbys been captured and we have to leave our family to go and zzzzzzz

I loved last ones gameplay and this ones is more the same with improvements. Specially on the survivor mode. Takes about ten tries to figure out the best way passed an area but when ye do it’s such a buzz.

I loved last ones gameplay and this ones is more the same with improvements. Specially on the survivor mode. Takes about ten tries to figure out the best way passed an area but when ye do it’s such a buzz.
Possibly my favourite bit in the game is in the Tunnels section. When you come to a room full of red light with WLF and infected. Hiding in a train carriage and tossing a brick into the middle so all hell breaks loose with the clickers coming after the WLF. Then tossing a molotov at a big group of them in the middle. Such amazing level design and the look of it is unbelievable

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back