Computer games.

Yeah, think im gonna have to buy some compressed air really.
Also helps.

Recently had a bunch of noise from my cpu fan - compressor (but not a can, an actual pump and all which we use for this at work lol ) and wd40 and it no longer does that.

Or I mean you can spend the 10er or something on just getting a new one like

I'd say the latter. If you leave your PC untouched for 2 years yeh it might not do the full job lol
Nah, work computers. It accelerates the crap inside at least tenfold.

I mean mine was very bad too but I was also a smoker at the time and the PC was near all that so it wasn't pretty lol

Actually not a good idea with an electric motor fan. WD40 has an oil base and it can damage the insulation and potentially create an environment for a the magic smoke to escape.

If you are at the point where WD40 ‘would’ help, just buy a new fan.

Bang on the money.

Fun fact (I promise), the 'WD' stands for "Water Displacement" whilst the 40 is for the viscosity.

In short, you might have short term gain using it but long term it may ruin any lubricant you already had in the mechanical aspects of your PC.

Last edited:
Actually not a good idea with an electric motor fan. WD40 has an oil base and it can damage the insulation and potentially create an environment for a the magic smoke to escape.

If you are at the point where WD40 ‘would’ help, just buy a new fan.
Or I mean you can spend the 10er or something on just getting a new one like

Well it's a short term help, not good help lol

Not a fan of this whole refurbishing forever culture that goes on among some IT colleagues, but to each their own I guess.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back