Crystal Palace v Everton 31 January 2015 - From the Palace end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could think of confidence/form like a cupcake, because that's something that it also isn't.
So why bench him in the first place then? If it serves no purpose. Do you seriously think that he's going out there with the same mind set when playing badly as when playing well. When players aren't in form it's because their heads aren't right. Continuing to play when your head isn't right will just continue the wrong kind of thinking. It's not simply a case of effort although that can be a manifestation of it.

Great preview. Still can't stand Pardew mind.

At this point I don't care how we win....just please can we do it. I'm forgetting what one feels like.

I would have on the bench. I think it's important for him to watch the games.
If we weren't in such a perilous position I would drop him entirely as @ijjysmith mentioned. This may give him the needed proverbial boost.

We are in a perilous position though and our squad isn't the deepest in quality. Simply dropping him to the bench may have the desired effect.

If comes on and makes an impact fantastic, but he may realise he needs to deserve his place in the XI through performances. It's not a gift.

Jeff on Sky Sports said "Everton might be too good to go down but I don't think you can say the same about Hull"

They just recently beat us 2-0.

So why bench him in the first place then? If it serves no purpose. Do you seriously think that he's going out there with the same mind set when playing badly as when playing well. When players aren't in form it's because their heads aren't right. Continuing to play when your head isn't right will just continue the wrong kind of thinking. It's not simply a case of effort although that can be a manifestation of it.

I didn't say it served no purpose. His form doesn't warrant a starting place. Benching him sends a message to him and the others, it obviously serves a purpose. What doesn't benefit him or the team is then refusing to put him on the pitch no matter what happens in the game. If we are cruising (unlikely I know) he gets the opportunity to play with out pressure; if we're losing he has it in him to produce a moment of brilliance, if someone gets injured in the area he plays in, why disrupt the shape and system by refusing to put him on? If someone is having a stinker, what message does it send by leaving them on (exactly what I was screaming at RM about Barkley in the last few games) and to him sitting on the bench? These are all reasons why it makes no sense to refuse to consider putting him on - which is what you suggested.

As for thinking of loss of form as being like an injury - it just isn't. With an injury you cannot train and any return should be gradual because of this and to prevent reoccurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back