Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that after the Romero and Udogie incidents in the Spurs v Chelsea game. May as well ban tackling. If you make a good one it’s a yellow or maybe a red and if you touch a forward in the box, as likely as not, they will go to ground.
They were both nailed on reds and very very few people have disagreed, even all the Spurs fans I know.

By taking the ball off the player? I mean IMO this one could have gone either way. Decision would not have been changed if the penalty had been awarded. If you go in fully commited in the penalty box and miss the ball then its in the lap of the gods aswell as having slow mo VAR reviews....
I do agree with the previous comments in that the faintest of touches on the player with the ball can result in a penalty but off the ball a player can be rugby tackled to the ground and nothing becomes of it.
But this entire line of argument that the pundits use (i.e. that the if a player hangs a leg and misses the ball he has to expect a penalty) is completely wrong. Players are not entitled to initiate contact or dive. They should try to stay on their feet if they can. The slight touch and they suddenly fall over like a sniper got them.

Hodgson said Eze doesn’t dive, he’s not that type of player blah blah. I suggest he watch that 90 minutes again. However there is no doubt he’s an unbelievable talent, but his antics yesterday reminded me of a young Ronaldo in his early United days.

Jermain Jenas: "I'm of the opinion that if there's any contact whatsoever it's a penalty"

You mean, when it's Everton?

Tool

Jermaine Jenas is cockney rhyming slang for tiny penis, monkey see monkey say.... Is it any wonder the blighter is so bitter?

Couldn't believe that.

He'll be saying "there was contact but not enough for it to be a penalty" next week in a different game.

I'm amazed every time I hear a former player come out with that nonsense. It's literally the opposite. Contact does not mean it's automatically a foul, so bizarre.

Was nauseated by his obnoxious joke about being the next MOTD host too. Can guarantee he thinks he's nailed on. Utter gimp.

A great win but I very much welcome a break now. Already seeing players thrown in while injured (Onana) and others (Branthwaite, Doucoure) given fitness tests. Plus obviously DCL could do with a rest too knowing that if he gets injured, we're done for. Seamus will be fully fit after the break, too.

Will Onana be going away after being taken off through injury? Would hope not ffs!

By taking the ball off the player? I mean IMO this one could have gone either way. Decision would not have been changed if the penalty had been awarded. If you go in fully commited in the penalty box and miss the ball then its in the lap of the gods aswell as having slow mo VAR reviews....
I do agree with the previous comments in that the faintest of touches on the player with the ball can result in a penalty but off the ball a player can be rugby tackled to the ground and nothing becomes of it.
Oh right never taught of that.. easy enough to do without making some sort of contact I guess.

Oh right never taught of that.. easy enough to do without making some sort of contact I guess.
Well i was being a bit sarcastic so i apologise for that. But the defender does at least need to make contact with the ball. If they miss the ball and clip someones legs / ankles then most likely a pen will be given. The other side is contact with the ball but they do a 🦵 breaker. Again a pen and prob a red card.
So my point is that if you are going to slide in on someone in the box then you better make sure you get the ball before taking them down, even if the contact is minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.