Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lad I sit with has complained a number of times that they haven't provided him with a winch or a crane at pitch side so he can set the level that he sits at. I listen to him talk about it and it breaks my heart, don't even know why I still follow Everton with behaviour like that.
I suggested at an AGM a few seasons back that each Everton player should carry a disabled person on their back to give the best possible view of the game, be inclusive like.
I was thrown out and have not been invited since. The way we've played this season, I thought they had implemented it.
People's club me arce.

Not a fan me.

For one, from the outside, (which a lot of folk will see on pics and that), it doesnt look like a sports facility, let alone a football ground. Looks like a train station/warehouse/prison.

Imagine it. On a ferry/cruise liner over the tannoy. "And if you look left, further up from the Liver Building, there, that bit, its actually not a warehouse, no honest, its not, its a football stadium"

Not that iconic is it?

100% spot on. Im just hoping the interior of the ground is ace as Im not at all confident that the exterior will be anything but outdated to blend in with the warehouses which in themselves are ancient.

A mixture of glass and brick would actually look fantastic but I think all brick is being done to please 2 elements - 1. Unesco and 2. The arl arses who are terrified of anything thats not a 4 sided GP replica

Hilarious little snippet from those idiots, but why would we expect any different? Our Europa League home attendance being 23,000 is probably true but that's because only about 15k showed up for that dead rubber against Atalanta when we were already out. The other two games had strong attendances. But why let the truth get in the way of a great story to bash us?

Cultist behaviour.

I'd pay no heed to them when it comes to attendances - http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1864 - they weren't even out of this competition and had actually won the Cup the year before. Same as 2004/05 when they won the CL they had gates 10k below capacity. But hey now they're the "best supported club in der werld la !"

I love the Lucas oil stadium, think it’s absolutely fantastic, however get that it’s quite divisive so hope we don’t go down that road.

That Chelsea stadium is an abomination.

Be happy with any attendance north of 55k, especially so if it comes with a fully realised version of what we are seeing in sketches mate.

Steep as can be single stand home end, allowances for a standing section drawn into the plans, away fans in the arse end corner high up etc and even like the massive video screen being there.

Meiss may be utterly shocking at times on social media and keeping his gob shut, but there is a reason he constantly gets high profile stadium designs - because frankly he is very very good at his job.
I agree the noises and info from him yesterday were all the ones we wanted to hear.

However, they are just concepts and he's committed himself to nothing. He wont be given a blank canvas to work on. Numbers, design and materials will be straitjacketed by financial and political realities.

It's a stadium built in a design for one city based on historical context.

Works there. Wouldn't work here.

As i just said mate, thing about meiss is that he has done a few stadiums (latest being Roma) where one of the key elements to his design (and the remit he had) was to make an 'iconic' stadium suited to the history of the city/club - in this regard i don't think I'd have any other designer as he has a track record for delivering that.

It looks like something from a Hulme housing project in the 1970s.
I can’t disagree. But I admire the bravery of their choice.

There’s no sense creating a fashionable stadium, it has to transcend the five or ten year period in which it’s designed and built.

I remember thinking the new Wembley looked great when it was first built. All I think when I look at it now is ‘boring.’ Same with the Emirates, Etihad and every other football stadium built in England in at least the last 40 years.

I’d much rather we make a slightly mental architectural statement than something safe and trendy.

I've noticed that Americans tend to like brick/classic and you guys lean more modern in your preferences. Not hard to see the contextual differences given the architecture surrounding sports facilities in both countries, in general.

I seem to fall into my own categorization. My favorite facilities are brick. AT&T Park, Coors Field...I don't mind Lucas Oil Stadium either. Forgive me.

Edit: the exterior of that chelsea design is the most hideous thing built of brick I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back