Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t disagree. But I admire the bravery of their choice.

There’s no sense creating a fashionable stadium, it has to transcend the five or ten year period in which it’s designed and built.

I remember thinking the new Wembley looked great when it was first built. All I think when I look at it now is ‘boring.’ Same with the Emirates, Etihad and every other football stadium built in England in at least the last 40 years.

I’d much rather we make a slightly mental architectural statement than something safe and trendy.

Simple fact we are sat here talking about certain stadiums - shows that ultimately they did what was advertised - they became unique and not like the cut and paste jobs most teams have, be that Lucas oil etc - no doubting they worked as intended.

I for one am fascinated about how the final exterior will look, honestly think it will blow us away (and will have some small part equally despising it) but will bet my house on the fact it will fit in with the City - and i don't just mean with the area directly around it like a lot assume will be the remit.

But the feedback he's getting is horribly cliched and basically telling him "Goodison MkII please mate"

Ignore them. It's dewey eyed sentimental hog wash. We cant be having the vision of the late nineteenth century haunting this project.

Be bold; reach for the future. It's what the club did in 1892 after all!
I can only tell you that I’m absolutely delighted with the stuff unveiled yesterday - and I don’t class myself as a traditionalist by any means.

Let’s see the full design before we judge. So far, I’m over the moon.

I hope so. I hope his first thoughts after this series of workshops are "bollocks to that lot, I'm going my own way on design". I hope he's that single minded.

Not met an architect who isnt mate. (and, yeah, in a previous life came across a fair few)

I read the GP Mk 2 stuff to be more about the stands close to pitch, atmospheric, (yeah, I know), stuff rather than a more expensive external imitation.

A fully brick exterior would bump the costs up massively. Can’t see it being that. Perhaps a mix of: brick, glass and steelwork.

This is what I think mate. The back of the street end you have the brickwork along with the steel framing. I think he might incorporate the Leitch design with these materials perhaps in the concourses and maybe visible on one of the stands ( I mentioned last night in the north stand pic in between the tiers it looked liked the staircases leading up to tier 2 looked a lot like a nod to the Leitch design and would be very visible from the South stand )

View attachment 45353
Might not be to everyone’s taste, but I think that’s a cracking stadium personally.

People from Houston agree, which ultimately is what we hope for, one that as Evertonians and in general from the City love.

Sounds weird, but if you had reds from the city that had to admit that the stadium got it spot on in terms of being a city icon, then yeah that'd do me as well.

0b52dxj0kvwfrlwvsudrplutfeke.jpg

d44XmM
Would love something close to this design only with steeper stands. Special place to watch togger.

Not met an architect who isnt mate. (and, yeah, in a previous life came across a fair few)

I read the GP Mk 2 stuff to be more about the stands close to pitch, atmospheric, (yeah, I know), stuff rather than a more expensive external imitation.
I hope so mate. If it is about atmosphere rather than design or materials then ok.

He's achieved half what I would have seen as being the requirements already if he's faithful to his concepts: squared off stands, close to the pitch and big home end. I really hope he isn't taking seriously all the garbage he'll have heard about what the exterior should be and include.

It is hard to combine brick, glass and steel without getting a pastiche railway station vibe. I am in the Lucas Oil is hideous camp and I have been there twice. Everything about it externally is wrong visually and the scaling is all wrong for BMD.

As others have said we should look to the Albert Dock & Tobacco warehouse for style clues. Stadia like Ibrox and the Holte End at Villa May also be looked at as will the old main stand pre cladding Goodison images. In the US Camden Yards is a far more successful modern marriage of brick and glass than Lucas Oil IMO.

One final note both cost and strength for the seating and roof dictate that Meis means we’ll get something brick clad (not brick built).

I hope so. I hope his first thoughts after this series of workshops are "bollocks to that lot, I'm going my own way on design". I hope he's that single minded.

I hope what he does is take certain things on board - BUT things that maybe come up that actually make sense but may have just never came up or occurred.

Example, west hams new stadium - they missed SO many opportunities to make that feel even a semblance more like home - stuff brought up by fan groups that they just brushed aside.

And if we are gonna just give a little pat on the head to history etc, i'd rather we did it by doing something that matters not at all like throwing in a few thousand seats from GP than by trying to recreate something from the ground or compromising a build trying to create a false link to GP.

As a interesting point btw, wonder if those 1878 seats are gonna be stuck in the area which is earmarked for safe standing? get the 'hardcore' in them and rip them out should the law change etc.

As a fan of the Lucus Oil Stadium I was also quickly taken in by this stadium too (one Meis posted about remember about its size). Felt we had the opportunity to build something similar with an translucent open end (the one opposite our blue wall) and maybe a retractable roor. But sadly Meis he's rejecting retractable roof. Glad he said we're pushing the capacity nearer 60k than 50k, certainly not in favour of a variable capacity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back