Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t disagree. But I admire the bravery of their choice.

There’s no sense creating a fashionable stadium, it has to transcend the five or ten year period in which it’s designed and built.

I remember thinking the new Wembley looked great when it was first built. All I think when I look at it now is ‘boring.’ Same with the Emirates, Etihad and every other football stadium built in England in at least the last 40 years.

I’d much rather we make a slightly mental architectural statement than something safe and trendy.
I agree with that. I hear Meis's words and they're uninspiring in that sense. "Tradition", "materials from Goodison".

He should just design what he feels will be unique.

Lucas Oil is like an awful 90s shopping centre from the outside. It’s a terrible pastiche.

I’d be heartbroken if our ground was ruined with an exterior like that.

If the brick stadium spectrum runs from Lucas Oil to the new Chelsea stadium, I hope ours is closer to the latter.

View attachment 45348 View attachment 45349 View attachment 45350

It may not be perfect, but at least they are trying something original.
See this is where it's all about opinions. I think the "Egg-slicer Cathedral" is an abomination and would be saddened if our stadium looked anything like it

Reactions: gmb
AA9423DC-2166-423E-9DDE-2F846B7947EC.webp

Might not be to everyone’s taste, but I think that’s a cracking stadium personally.

I agree the noises and info from him yesterday were all the ones we wanted to hear.

However, they are just concepts and he's committed himself to nothing. He wont be given a blank canvas to work on. Numbers, design and materials will be straitjacketed by financial and political realities.
I’m a creative professional, and I much prefer working within constraints - sometimes even the most restrictive constraints.

Boundaries give you something to push against in design. It’s part of the context. Nothing sparks creativity like having to work within limitations.

I agree the noises and info from him yesterday were all the ones we wanted to hear.

However, they are just concepts and he's committed himself to nothing. He wont be given a blank canvas to work on. Numbers, design and materials will be straitjacketed by financial and political realities.

Couple of things to think about with Meiss mate (know you aren't the biggest fan), he HAS delivered consistently stadia that have left the fans of those teams more than happy with what he builds, and he has had to put up with so much messing around in the case of some of them (Roma being the biggest example) and still delivered despite interference, demands to change certain aspects from in that case the Rome council etc.

Remove all the social media stuff, look at his record, look at what he delivers on his projects, we are in the best hands we could hope for (maybe even more so given the nature of the board/ceo etc we have)

He also has a reputation which for the sake of a contract he wouldn't screw over as well mate

The sweet spot is inbetween, surely? You can’t build this stadium without considering Everton.
But the feedback he's getting is horribly cliched and basically telling him "Goodison MkII please mate"

Ignore them. It's dewey eyed sentimental hog wash. We cant be having the vision of the late nineteenth century haunting this project.

Be bold; reach for the future. It's what the club did in 1892 after all!

See this is where it's all about opinions. I think the "Egg-slicer Cathedral" is an abomination and would be saddened if our stadium looked anything like it
Fair enough.

It highlights the crazy difficult job Meis has. I think the largely universally-positive reactions to what has been shown so far is nothing short of a miracle.

Couple of things to think about with Meiss mate (know you aren't the biggest fan), he HAS delivered consistently stadia that have left the fans of those teams more than happy with what he builds, and he has had to put up with so much messing around in the case of some of them (Roma being the biggest example) and still delivered despite interference, demands to change certain aspects from in that case the Rome council etc.

Remove all the social media stuff, look at his record, look at what he delivers on his projects, we are in the best hands we could hope for (maybe even more so given the nature of the board/ceo etc we have)

He also has a reputation which for the sake of a contract he wouldn't screw over as well mate
I hope so. I hope his first thoughts after this series of workshops are "bollocks to that lot, I'm going my own way on design". I hope he's that single minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back