Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's not red brick but white granite something nearer the Three Graces and a lot of other buildings in Liverpool.

Red brick would be awful
Red brick would be class. It's not like they're actually red. There are loads of types of brick too. Something a bit rustic would fit in with the surrounding area.

White granite sounds like some dodgy arabian palace (n). I'm sure the architect will get it right no matter which way he goes.

Has anyone suggested massive heaters in the roof like they have at the Bernabau? I was up near the top in January and the heater was great
That is the warehouse, or more accurately the B&O Warehouse. It predates the stadium by about 90 years, and was used by a railroad company for a long time. When they built the stadium the team bought it, turned it into team offices, a pub, team store etc, and it is actually incorporated into the stadium as the only access is from either inside the park, or a couple of private secured entrances on the outside.

Shamelessly pinched from here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=147011159&postcount=5029

"A couple of things I picked up today, and I don't know whether they've been mentioned on here, but to appease Historic England, they were protecting the dock walls and keeping them intact so if Everton moved on in the future, the dock walls would remain and the dock could be returned to its original use as a dock.

The channel between the docks either side would be kept open as well, again to appease Historic England and that's why the stadium isn't closer to the Mersey.

They were also liaising with them to create three more openings in the dock wall.

He also said the designs for the stadium will be released within weeks."

Just got back from today's workshop. 5 things....
1) Full renders of the stadium will be released very soon, within weeks
2) Hearing him talk I'd say he is about 80% confident it will go ahead
3) He wants it to be 52-55k capacity
4) Our layout pisses over most other clubs and the 'blue wall' will be boss. I feel sorry for West Ham, the difference between theirs and ours is shocking
5) I hope the seating is more comfortable in BMD than St Luke's. 2 hrs sitting on them wooden chairs has numbed my ass

4) Our layout pisses over most other clubs and the 'blue wall' will be boss. I feel sorry for West Ham, the difference between theirs and ours is shocking
5) I hope the seating is more comfortable in BMD than St Luke's. 2 hrs sitting on them wooden chairs has numbed my ass

Thanks for posting mate. Did he say why he wanted it to be 52-55k? Just with others who went to the first meeting got the impression we were looking at 57-60k.

Would be interesting to hear his reasons for that figure.

Did they give any hints on when we will move?

That is the warehouse, or more accurately the B&O Warehouse. It predates the stadium by about 90 years, and was used by a railroad company for a long time. When they built the stadium the team bought it, turned it into team offices, a pub, team store etc, and it is actually incorporated into the stadium as the only access is from either inside the park, or a couple of private secured entrances on the outside.

I gotta say, I want something wicked modern, a real statement, but Camden and the B&O warehouse does seem to be a bit like a bit of the Liverpool architecture farther down the docks so a mix of the two is probably better. It actually makes a bit of sense considering the similarities between the history of the two cities (although I can assure you Baltimore is about 50 times more dangerous in its worst spots). Camden Yards was really the first of the new wave of baseball parks, although I think PNC Park in Pittsburgh, which IMO is the best stadium in the country, would be a good one for him to look at in terms of it's city view and usage of the river.

I like Meis, like his stadiums - the Eagles and Cinci football stadiums in particular - but think the idea of packing the stadium is more of an essential concept here in the states and not sure that works as well in Liverpool. If there is an empty row or two at a venue, it's hugely frowned upon in almost all sports. For some massive reason it's SUCH a big deal - not sure that's the same attitude in the rest of the world. Meis also has to understand the income disparities. Creating scarcity is all and good, but in America, there is more corporate and disposable income. For example, in DC, the average household income is almost six figures in USD. Having a smaller stadium doesn't mean loss of revenue, because you can jack up prices pretty high to make up the difference and still sell out...although it also means the average joe just gets priced out. That's not the right model, unless a secondary ticket market is a desirable state, which frankly, every club should have by itself.

Thanks for posting mate. Did he say why he wanted it to be 52-55k? Just with others who went to the first meeting got the impression we were looking at 57-60k.

Would be interesting to hear his reasons for that figure.

His answer to those advocating more capacity was that this was an emotional question and request and that his reasoning was intellectual as the architect. He told us that he has been building stadiums all his working life and that you cannot under estimate the value of scarcity of tickets. Its better to have a full house and a demand for season tickets that keeps the place full. I got the impression he was hoping for the lower end of 50-52k. He cited Madison Square Garden which holds 20k and sells out every time. They prefer it like that rather than having 30k seats but having to push to fill it. Nobody wants to go to a gig when its easy to get tickets.

He said he wants the stadium to look "like it has always been there". So I am hoping for a lot of brick, like the old warehouses, personally. Am sure he won't copy the Lucas Oil stadium, as he likes his designs to be unique, but it sounds like the spirit of the old dock area will be acknowledged in the design

Shamelessly pinched from here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=147011159&postcount=5029

"A couple of things I picked up today, and I don't know whether they've been mentioned on here, but to appease Historic England, they were protecting the dock walls and keeping them intact so if Everton moved on in the future, the dock walls would remain and the dock could be returned to its original use as a dock.

The channel between the docks either side would be kept open as well, again to appease Historic England and that's why the stadium isn't closer to the Mersey.

They were also liaising with them to create three more openings in the dock wall.

He also said the designs for the stadium will be released within weeks."

Monorail would remove the need to open up the wall further

I'd be happy with 55k+. I'd be dubious of anything less than that. The only club with a significantly larger capacity than that will be Manchester United, but they have a much larger fan base. I'm not going to count West Ham because they're in a mess stadium-wise.

This stadium has the potential to be one of the top venues in the country, able to host huge gigs and fights in the Summer, generating massive income for the club, more than off-setting the revenue from a few thousand seats over the course of a season. I'd rather go that route and get a top class stadium, rather than scrape by on quality to fit in an extra 5,000 seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back