Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's not red brick but white granite something nearer the Three Graces and a lot of other buildings in Liverpool.

Red brick would be awful

How about blue bricks
b69e6c0f4a645d84de84e146edcda13c.webp

Red brick would be class. It's not like they're actually red. There are loads of types of brick too. Something a bit rustic would fit in with the surrounding area.

White granite sounds like some dodgy arabian palace (n). I'm sure the architect will get it right no matter which way he goes.

Portland stone same as Cunard, liver buildings and Port of Liverpool building would look boss interlaced with glass and blue lighting

Can someone give me a short version of what came of the work shop?

I'm wank with this sorta thing x

He said he wants the stadium to look "like it has always been there". So I am hoping for a lot of brick, like the old warehouses, personally. Am sure he won't copy the Lucas Oil stadium, as he likes his designs to be unique, but it sounds like the spirit of the old dock area will be acknowledged in the design
Honestly, who on earth would copy the Lucas Oil stadium? I do not get some people's facination with that place. Maybe it plays in Indianapolis, but I cannot imagine a remotely cosmopolitan city thinking that giant barn "looks great". There is nothing iconic about it. Nothing.

Honestly, who on earth would copy the Lucas Oil stadium? I do not get some people's facination with that place. Maybe it plays in Indianapolis, but I cannot imagine a remotely cosmopolitan city thinking that giant barn "looks great". There is nothing iconic about it. Nothing.

Me. Id rather that. Something brick, old/historical looking. I don't want no globe/rounded/glass monstrosity.

His answer to those advocating more capacity was that this was an emotional question and request and that his reasoning was intellectual as the architect. He told us that he has been building stadiums all his working life and that you cannot under estimate the value of scarcity of tickets. Its better to have a full house and a demand for season tickets that keeps the place full. I got the impression he was hoping for the lower end of 50-52k. He cited Madison Square Garden which holds 20k and sells out every time. They prefer it like that rather than having 30k seats but having to push to fill it. Nobody wants to go to a gig when its easy to get tickets.
Hasn't it also got to do with TV blackouts in the States? (Thus why so many NFL clubs buy up their own tickets or misreport a sell-out.)

For those who don't follow American football they were not* allowed to show games on a local channel if it is not sold out.
(* not sure if it's changed since the time I was over there)

Also had a smile at the poster recommending something from the Denver Broncos...

I'm guessing the idea is not to pick up the notorious crowd chant:
Announcer: And the pass from Ashley Williams is...
Crowd: IN-COM-PLETE

His answer to those advocating more capacity was that this was an emotional question and request and that his reasoning was intellectual as the architect. He told us that he has been building stadiums all his working life and that you cannot under estimate the value of scarcity of tickets. Its better to have a full house and a demand for season tickets that keeps the place full. I got the impression he was hoping for the lower end of 50-52k. He cited Madison Square Garden which holds 20k and sells out every time. They prefer it like that rather than having 30k seats but having to push to fill it. Nobody wants to go to a gig when its easy to get tickets.

Which I understand, I mean 55k for example is still an upgrade of around 30% for us. I did originally want 60 because of where we hope to be by the time it's opened, but if its 55 and then one stand is altered for safe standing, a couple of thousand will be added. Seeing as it will be four years min before completion and the seats will be the last to be put in its not beyond the realms that that aspect can be altered.

Anyway, for the design, I would like a white cut out going around the roof in the shape of our crest, which turns blue via led lights at night.

Imagine flying over the top of the stadium and seeing a giant cut out of our badge from a birdseye view.

The fact we all know what it looks like, where it is and have been talking about it for about 18 months suggests it is iconic like.

Meis’ frame of reference here is US sport and specifically football and basketball (baseball is often played in half empty stadia in day games!). American Football has inherent scarcity (only 8 regular season home games). Basketball played indoors automatically means smaller capacities. Both sports (& Ice Hockey)/sell a high proportion of their seats to above median wealth individuals at eyewatering price points (I paid $140 for a pretty standard ticket for a regular season Chicago Bulls game vs. Detroit). All these sports have aggressive secondary ticketing markets supported by scarcity. The Knicks/Rangers prices at Madison Sq Garden are astronomical even though both suck!

Everton sell two thirds of our tickets as either concession or to individuals who identify as at or below national media income (extrapolating from club surveys). To drive up income we need both to expand the supply to this group (where there is untapped demand) and drive up availability of premium tickets, where we are severely limited. Capacity matters for the first, design for the latter. Nobody wants a half-empty stadium but EFC cannot afford to turn away business every week either. Scarcity will not let us drive up the majority of seat prices due to fan demographics unless we want to be Anfield/OT filled with tourists.

Having ‘excess’ capacity in football is often important for capturing and hooking new fans/youngsters by having a couple of thousand tickets in corners, backs of stands available at shorter notice and cheaper price points. This also helps to cater for the significant local fan base who can not justify/afford a season ticket but want to attend a few games and often decide late. We have lost this in recent years with tickets at Goodison like gold dust. Culturally I think most of us would rather have 2-3k empty seats scattered around unobtrusively for Stoke at home rather than getting ripped off on StubHub!! I think Meis would be genuinely shocked if someone sat him down and explained this.

If we still had e.g. Alan Myers at the club he could explain this to Meis and adjust his reference points. Kenyon/Elstone won’t because ‘scarcity’ makes their jobs easy. I think the bombardment on twitter and at the forums is making Meis rethink. Is suspect we will ultimately settle at c.56k which might not be terrible as the site footprint is constrained and I think many of us also want the quality to be spot on rather than feeling cramped.

We should be just as concerned at making sure they go for c.5-6k premium seats rather than say 2-3k as that is where the money is. That would put the club’s commercial team firmly in the spotlight to fill them but that is the really critical aspect to making this pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back