Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rail seating is based upon a ratio of 1:1 which means that there will be no increase in capacity with its introduction. From what Meis was saying last night, what we get is what we get, no expansion past the opening day capacity, or certainly not by design.

I was going to say it is shockingly surprising that we are not doing anything to future proof the build but this is Everton, kings of the short term. If we had put a second tier on the PE it would have cost us around 2 million more, at today's prices we would have been making double that back per season off of that investment. That extra capacity could have led to closing the back of the GS and BR stands getting rid of the cheapest and most restricted views, then if we added a cantilevered roof we would have eliminated all but a handful of seats that haven't got a full view of the pitch on three sides of the ground. The mismanagement is just criminal.

There are grounds where you doubt they will be able to expand in future (such as Spurs) but that's probably why they have been squeezing every last seat out of it as the building process goes on. If we don't ever want to expand then fine but they need it to be on or very close to 60k.

ah, i knew about the no expansion, just hadn't properly read up on the safe standing. Seems a bit pointless if it's a 1:1 ratio to me, i thought it would help maximise attendance v space in a controlled manner.

Some fella pulled him up on it yesterday evening. Saying Dortmund have a 1:1.7 ratio which makes their 25k stand feasible. There was a slide showing 50% of the home end as rail seating, but won't affect capacity.

Meis’ frame of reference here is US sport and specifically football and basketball (baseball is often played in half empty stadia in day games!). American Football has inherent scarcity (only 8 regular season home games). Basketball played indoors automatically means smaller capacities. Both sports (& Ice Hockey)/sell a high proportion of their seats to above median wealth individuals at eyewatering price points (I paid $140 for a pretty standard ticket for a regular season Chicago Bulls game vs. Detroit). All these sports have aggressive secondary ticketing markets supported by scarcity. The Knicks/Rangers prices at Madison Sq Garden are astronomical even though both suck!

Everton sell two thirds of our tickets as either concession or to individuals who identify as at or below national media income (extrapolating from club surveys). To drive up income we need both to expand the supply to this group (where there is untapped demand) and drive up availability of premium tickets, where we are severely limited. Capacity matters for the first, design for the latter. Nobody wants a half-empty stadium but EFC cannot afford to turn away business every week either. Scarcity will not let us drive up the majority of seat prices due to fan demographics unless we want to be Anfield/OT filled with tourists.

Having ‘excess’ capacity in football is often important for capturing and hooking new fans/youngsters by having a couple of thousand tickets in corners, backs of stands available at shorter notice and cheaper price points. This also helps to cater for the significant local fan base who can not justify/afford a season ticket but want to attend a few games and often decide late. We have lost this in recent years with tickets at Goodison like gold dust. Culturally I think most of us would rather have 2-3k empty seats scattered around unobtrusively for Stoke at home rather than getting ripped off on StubHub!! I think Meis would be genuinely shocked if someone sat him down and explained this.

If we still had e.g. Alan Myers at the club he could explain this to Meis and adjust his reference points. Kenyon/Elstone won’t because ‘scarcity’ makes their jobs easy. I think the bombardment on twitter and at the forums is making Meis rethink. Is suspect we will ultimately settle at c.56k which might not be terrible as the site footprint is constrained and I think many of us also want the quality to be spot on rather than feeling cramped.

We should be just as concerned at making sure they go for c.5-6k premium seats rather than say 2-3k as that is where the money is. That would put the club’s commercial team firmly in the spotlight to fill them but that is the really critical aspect to making this pay.

I appreciate the sentiment, but have maybe a different take, in agreement with what I think Meis means with his "scarcity" comments.

The financial prospects of a club like Everton are, and increasingly, in TV broadcast money. This will certainly change in the long term, or at least plateau, but money flows through TV rights, competition purses, and commercial sponsorship. Gate receipts are an afterthought for many larger clubs, and so the primary focus of a ground is not how it sells in the book of accounts, but how it sells to TV advertisers and brand partners.

A club needs a few things to make this work: identity, history, success, recognizable players, and a product that people want to watch. While a happy Goodison is great, and angry Goodison makes good TV as well, far better than an annoyed, apathetic Goodison. While the product on the field is the primary cause, the feedback between supporters in the stands and players on the pitch is palpable, and it matters for the TV viewer as well (although their feedback is ratings and $$ only).

For "large" clubs this becomes difficult when so many of the "home supporters" are transient. Not that all visiting supporters are bad, but if 1/3 of your stadium or more is filled with day-trippers, you've lost some of the environment that makes the event watchable. While West Ham have the worst stadium in the PL by miles, a soulless-when-full Emirates isn't far behind. So I can see why Meis would prefer to build a slightly smaller, but always full and, whether angry or happy, loud stadium. There may be a time soon when some clubs give tickets away (although free tickets are dangerous for the reasons above) just to fill the stands because while people may watch a bad football team on TV that play in a full stadium, far fewer will watch a bad football team playing before an empty stadium.

While I'm in agreement that we don't want to see a situation unfold in which scarcity of tickets drives up prices and in turn prohibits access by core supporters--lifelong STHs--and I generally agree that the stadium should expand premium access, if anything, in order to capitalize gate receipts, I primarily read Meis to mean "scarcity of seats" = getting the size right so that the stadium is near max capacity every week, a cauldron that energizes/intimidates the players on the field and excites those millions watching across the world.

I'll hang up and listen.

I am a season ticket holder but appreciate how difficult it is to get tickets for home games.

Why on earth were looking at building anything less but than 58/60k is criminal.

With the natural increase in purchases that will occur from stadium move, coupled with the waiting list for season tickets increasing, the chance of obtaining tickets for walk up fans will be reduced further.

What will happen? We will lose further generations of fans that were currently losing to trophy winning teams. Why?

Well because we don’t win anything and they won’t have an opportunity get a ticket.

In a weird way, long term, a smaller stadium could reduce our long term fan base when we should be using the stadium move to build it.

Utterly criminal

While I'm in agreement that we don't want to see a situation unfold in which scarcity of tickets drives up prices and in turn prohibits access by core supporters--lifelong STHs--and I generally agree that the stadium should expand premium access, if anything, in order to capitalize gate receipts, I primarily read Meis to mean "scarcity of seats" = getting the size right so that the stadium is near max capacity every week, a cauldron that energizes/intimidates the players on the field and excites those millions watching across the world.

There is the other side to that though where if capacity was low 50's, it is possible you end up with a majority of people who have a ST keep buying it year after year but are becoming more apathetic as time goes on, (should we continue to struggle to break into the top group of teams) then you just have an ageing crowd with a diminishing atmosphere. It is vital to have seats available for youngsters to come in and get hooked.

I am a season ticket holder but appreciate how difficult it is to get tickets for home games.

Why on earth were looking at building anything less but than 58/60k is criminal.

With the natural increase in purchases that will occur from stadium move, coupled with the waiting list for season tickets increasing, the chance of obtaining tickets for walk up fans will be reduced further.

What will happen? We will lose further generations of fans that were currently losing to trophy winning teams. Why?

Well because we don’t win anything and they won’t have an opportunity get a ticket.

In a weird way, long term, a smaller stadium could reduce our long term fan base when we should be using the stadium move to build it.

Utterly criminal

your reasoning here is both spotty and weird

(1) Is winning relative to stadium capacity or not? If it is (and do show your work, please), the by all means build 80,000 seats. Otherwise, your conclusion is nonsense.

(2) While i generally agree that bigger is better, a 56,000 stadium is nearly 50% bigger than Goodison. A 52,000 seat build is over 30% larger. Not to mention the horribly obstructed views at Goodison. Who of the current lot of supporters won't be able to find a ticket to Bramley Moore?

(3) Smaller than what? An arbitrary number in your head? Also, see points above.

There is the other side to that though where if capacity was low 50's, it is possible you end up with a majority of people who have a ST keep buying it year after year but are becoming more apathetic as time goes on, (should we continue to struggle to break into the top group of teams) then you just have an ageing crowd with a diminishing atmosphere. It is vital to have seats available for youngsters to come in and get hooked.

I doubt that you'd have 50,000 sleeping STHs at the park preventing kids from seeing the match. That just doesn't make any sense. You'll still have the "my dad/uncle took me to my first match with a spare ticket" situation, and I doubt the club would ever sell all seats to STHs anyway. You're talking about expanding seating by 11,000 to (as much as) 20,000 without even reaching 60k seats. That quite a few more seats.

I'm sure the ratio will be dictated by legislation. If after a few years at 1:1 it's deemed a success I could see pressure being added to up that, but I doubt it would ever go past 1.3 persons per seat.

Trouble is that it gets to a point where design dictates expansion. Meis stated that he will design for what he sees as maximum capacity, based upon rail seating at 1:1. If that increases, so mjst concessions and amenities. That's what makes the expansion so difficult and expensive, and why it makes sense for him to design for maximum capacity only.

your reasoning here is both spotty and weird

(1) Is winning relative to stadium capacity or not? If it is (and do show your work, please), the by all means build 80,000 seats. Otherwise, your conclusion is nonsense.

(2) While i generally agree that bigger is better, a 56,000 stadium is nearly 50% bigger than Goodison. A 52,000 seat build is over 30% larger. Not to mention the horribly obstructed views at Goodison. Who of the current lot of supporters won't be able to find a ticket to Bramley Moore?

(3) Smaller than what? An arbitrary number in your head? Also, see points above.

Most the young kids these days support clubs whom win trophies; or if they can go the game. I don’t need to provide a calculation to show this, it’s fact. I see it every day and every weekend.

Current lot? What about BUILDING a fan base rather than utilising a capacity which meets our short term needs now. Why not use this to help generate greater numbers of fans ?

Utterly criminal

The way things are going we wil lose a generation of local supporters with the way we are performing compared to our local rivals. We don’t need 60k in my opinion. There would be thousands of empty seats most weeks after the first season novelty has worn off. The stadium would lose intimacy as steepness and proximity would have to be sacrificed. They are trying to create a home field advantage which we could lose in too large a stadium. I know it is difficult given the boards track record but surely they have access to the best data on this to make the best estimate.

Most the young kids these days support clubs whom win trophies; or if they can go the game. I don’t need to provide a calculation to show this, it’s fact. I see it every day and every weekend.

Current lot? What about BUILDING a fan base rather than utilising a capacity which meets our short term needs now. Why not use this to help generate greater numbers of fans ?

Again, you contradict yourself. Which do you want? You can't have it both ways, we already have one @davek and don't need any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back