Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most the young kids these days support clubs whom win trophies; or if they can go the game. I don’t need to provide a calculation to show this, it’s fact. I see it every day and every weekend.

Current lot? What about BUILDING a fan base rather than utilising a capacity which meets our short term needs now. Why not use this to help generate greater numbers of fans ?

It's not fact, its your opinion.

The capacity issue does concern me in the longer term

I think 55k or so would be absolutely fine (possibly perfect) for our initial requirements, but in 20 years time or whatever, what happens if we've actually been successful (no sniggering at the back)? Dan is saying that whatever we build now is effectively the maximum it's ever going to be. If we're capped at, for example, 55k effectively until we move stadiums again in another hundred years or whatever, do we not run the risk of becoming like Liverpool where the demand for season tickets is decades long and the club cater more for day trippers who are going to spend more money in the club shop etc? It's all very dependent on future success, but I'm not a fan of the idea of there being a instant cap on the scale of our ambitions here

Having said that, I love what I'm hearing in regards to pretty much everything else

He said there's no expansion. The maximum on the site is a little over 60000. So from that I'd say 62/63000 tops. To my mind then, we have to go for 60000 minimum.

You'd get more noise from 55000 in a 60000 stadium than you would for 55000 in a 55000 stadium. How tickets are allocated makes a big contribution to the atmosphere getting generated, and full houses bring about problems of friends getting by each other, and like minded fans grouping together.

He said something like those last seats are the most expensive and least revenue generating? I'm not a shareholder though, so I couldn't care less about that. We'd only spend that extra money on some crap player anyway.

Like people have said, meis mentioned that what ever the capacity is there is no means of altering it, or will be very expensive to do so.

I'm also guessing that if we made the home end fully safe standing it may bump up the capacity. As by the looks of it, it's only half of the stand that been penciled in.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned, but what are the prem rules on safe standing?

Like people have said, meis mentioned that what ever the capacity is there is no means of altering it, or will be very expensive to do so.

I'm also guessing that if we made the home end fully safe standing it may bump up the capacity. As by the looks of it, it's only half of the stand that been penciled in.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned, but what are the prem rules on safe standing?

Can't remember exact but safe standing is not a parliamentary issue. It's only law to have seats allocated to a person, there's nothing against people standing. So it's down to the FA, Premier League and the Safety Advisory Group to allow safe standing. I think it's along those lines though not 100% sure. If the premier League clubs all voted to have then it would be a huge step to it going through.

The safe standing for BOTH ends is down as 1:1 ratio, someone asked and said about Dortmund's being 1:1.7 and if ours could do that. They gave the impression they wouldn't because it would mean facilities like toilets exits etc would also have to increase for that amount.

Last edited:

On the subject of this, did anybody at the workshops mention smart tech at the stadium? This is an area we have the opportunity to be truly innovative in.

The current digital offerings, both customer facing and back-end, are very poor. They look woefully underfunded and not part of any overarching strategy at all.

This point was mentioned briefly at the meeting yesterday. I believe the club intend to make this issue a priority.

On the subject of this, did anybody at the workshops mention smart tech at the stadium? This is an area we have the opportunity to be truly innovative in.

The current digital offerings, both customer facing and back-end, are very poor. They look woefully underfunded and not part of any overarching strategy at all.

He said it was be as good as anywhere in the world basically, on the collage he was showing was someone scanning their phone to order food or drink.

There’s ways and means around the capacity issue in the long term. United are even looking to get round a train line on one side of the stadium. The bottom line is that if we delivered success the economic argument for expansion would become so loud that they’d eventually do it whether that meant buying up land in the adjacent dock or getting past the Dock passage linking issue.

I’d dtill rather be on the Dock though than on an unlimited site off a motorway somewhere.

Good heavens.
Absolutely right. Let's hope the likes of Williams, Jagielka, Baines, Schneiderlin, Bolasie et al never ever set foot inside the new stadium. First three should be long, long since retired, and the second two should have been long, long since booted out.

Absolutely right. Let's hope the likes of Williams, Jagielka, Baines, Schneiderlin, Bolasie et al never ever set foot inside the new stadium. First three should be long, long since retired, and the second two should have been long, long since booted out.

Jags will lead the side out for the first game at the age of 40 as "still our best defender"

Stop kidding ourselves people. All the talk of iconic, best atmosphere and all is complete fluffity fluff if they don't go for absolute minimum of 55k.
Not buying any spin that comes from Everton or an architect.

'Iconic' is a word applied to almost everything these days. It's become utterly meaningless or at best a synonym for 'recognisable'. Anyway, things become (genuinely) iconic over time - it's not up to the design team or the marketing team to judge, especially not at the planning stage. lol It's just your usual marketing guff, so yeah, ignore that....

Is it even possible to derive the iconic orange hue of Kraft Mac & Cheese from natural ingredients? Kraft says the company has “worked hard so the new recipe will have the same look and taste that people know and love.”
https://qz.com/387479/kraft-mac-cheeses-iconic-blazing-orange-is-going-natural/

:coffee:

Dig deeper though, and the process, level of consultation and thought going into this is promising. And I think at this stage, that's all you can ask for. ;)

I hope capacity isn't constrained too much by the site/finances though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back