Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s ways and means around the capacity issue in the long term. United are even looking to get round a train line on one side of the stadium. The bottom line is that if we delivered success the economic argument for expansion would become so loud that they’d eventually do it whether that meant buying up land in the adjacent dock or getting past the Dock passage linking issue.

The difference being that particular stand is old and relatively shallow so any extension will have great sight lines still. With BMD we're almost, if not at the maximum rake, so any extension (except for the north bit) can only extend further from the pitch. This may also have an effect on the roof etc as well as offering poor views that are both high and distant (think Newcastle).

His comments about capacity:

"This isn't about comparing ourselves to another stadium"
"It's not about lack of ambition"
"It's about getting the right number for this ground on this site"

I don't expect anywhere near 60k given those comments. 'Not comparing, not about lack of ambition'...It's obviously going to be a bone of contention going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if we're talking 53k tops (which I would be disappointed with). I think the club are willing to compromise on maximum capacity in order to secure a site that will add great prestige, be on the doorstep of the city centre, and part of the growing Liverpool skyline. Personally, if offered that compromise, I'd take a class 53k stadium in a central location over a 60k stadium in some backwater.

I don't expect anywhere near 60k given those comments. 'Not comparing, not about lack of ambition'...It's obviously going to be a bone of contention going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if we're talking 53k tops (which I would be disappointed with). I think the club are willing to compromise on maximum capacity in order to secure a site that will add great prestige, be on the doorstep of the city centre, and part of the growing Liverpool skyline. Personally, if offered that compromise, I'd take a class 53k stadium in a central location over a 60k stadium in some backwater.
Agree with you on all points. 53k in a world class stadium in that location = nothing to complain about at all.

Well dont forget there will be options increase capacity too! So start at 50+ then over time increase.

Agree with you on all points. 53k in a world class stadium in that location = nothing to complain about at all.
Why though? Unless we just don't have the money, it is inexcusable to limit it to that when Meis has said it is near impossible and too expensive to expand later.
Can we really to find the extra money for another 5k seats at least?

Won't capacity be increased when standing is re-introduced anyway? Surely the capacity won't mean one seat = one standing place, or will it? I thought you could fit more fans in in a safe standing area. Would love to see one stand fully standing within 5 years.

The difference being that particular stand is old and relatively shallow so any extension will have great sight lines still. With BMD we're almost, if not at the maximum rake, so any extension (except for the north bit) can only extend further from the pitch. This may also have an effect on the roof etc as well as offering poor views that are both high and distant (think Newcastle).

Don't understand the complaints/moans etc about 'needing' a 60+ stadium myself, in a split city support wise, rather than a one horse (being punched) town like the Geordies, the catchment area for outside the local area is hamstrung by the presence of not only Liverpool, but United and now City as well as numerous other 'smaller' teams which have more localised support. Foreign fans are and will remain a absolute minority for the foreseeable - let's think about that when we've been a top club in the current era winning things and at the business end of European competition for about 10-15 years really.

and why exactly are people getting vexed about how many other fans are inside the stadium that they are presumably already in, the best atmosphere any of us have been at will more than likely have been whilst in the away ends at grounds anyway. a bloated 65k Goodison which has compromised what atmosphere we can generate in order to stick an extra 10k seats in serves zero purpose besides long term generating some more profit to the owner, in terms of strengthening and building a successful team any money extra would be small change in reality.

I also doubt most people complaining will struggle to get tickets, and a fair few i'd bet wouldn't bother for whatever reason no matter what the capacity is - but hey it's a good excuse to moan and give the club a kick i guess.

the only thing i would say, externally it wont change the how the stadium will look if its 50k or 60k it will look the same so it shouldn't effect us securing the site.

Why though? Unless we just don't have the money, it is inexcusable to limit it to that when Meis has said it is near impossible and too expensive to expand later.
Can we really to find the extra money for another 5k seats at least?

Because using that logic, why doesn't any club building a stadium just go to say 100k?

I think the moans right now are about it being in the low 50s.

If Goodison had had a capacity of 53k for example the past ten years - would we still have been selling out 98% of available seats? - personally i doubt we would have been close.

Also the season ticket backlog IS entirely down to the new stadium and people wanting to be in it, to expect a sudden upturn in demand which others have quoted ignores the fact we may already have had that in terms of people renewing who otherwise wouldn't (know a lot of those myself) and people wanting one because the new stadium looks to be a reality and want to be in on it.

Because using that logic, why doesn't any club building a stadium just go to say 100k?
Because, most of those new stadiums would be able to be expanded comfortably if need be?
Because, we were promised by Moshiri Hollywood Managers and CL football. If that fluff ever eventuates, we can't have more demand that 50-53k easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back