Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference being that particular stand is old and relatively shallow so any extension will have great sight lines still. With BMD we're almost, if not at the maximum rake, so any extension (except for the north bit) can only extend further from the pitch. This may also have an effect on the roof etc as well as offering poor views that are both high and distant (think Newcastle).

Thanks for saving me the job of writing, was going to put this almost to the word. We would have to demolish a stand that has cost 100 million and replace it with something that will cost another 200 million (maybe more with inflation) to then have decent overlapping tiers to increase capacity without adding rows to the back getting further and further away from the pitch. Not sensible.

The north stand would not be viable for extension as that is on the edge of the plot. The height difference between the stands is to square it off as close to what we have available to us. Another legacy of having the pitch orientated north to south. You could build rows of boxes on top of each other like you get at theatres, but that would be pointless.

If we had some gumption it would be worth looking at changing it to run as per the dock layout to get round being having it to be shoehorned in. If the way the sun moves causes issues then put a roof on it, if you had a more uniformed shape design where you duplicate most parts it would bring down construction costs anyhow to the point where the extra cost of the roof could be absorbed.

Before I'm jumped on for moaning. I like the designs, I will be happy enough if it is 56k + but as usual I think we are storing up problems for the future with our decision making.

Maybe we're purchasing Nelson Dock too. That'd be mint.

For information purposes only, Peel are not selling off the land based on what the actual docks were. The parcels of land cut across the boundaries of the docks. I suspect we might have only bought land in what dockers would have known as the Bramley-Moore but if we bought more land it might not be all of the neighbouring dock. Just saying. ;)

High 50s to 60k can be done at Bramley Moore and still have the qualities of the 52k stadium.
Comes down to money only, not the venue.
One would imagine that the space needed for an extra 8000 fans seated in relative comfort would have to compromise something else in the design of this stadium, especially at a site as limited as the dock.

Let's look at it from another point of view...

If Goodison was in a position where we could've expanded over the years and we were currently at a maximum 54k capacity, including corporate boxes, would we be even looking at a new stadium? I don't think it would be in the clubs thinking in the slightest. What would be the catalyst to move to a new site so that we could expand our capacity by another 6k? No one would consider that, it would be far too costly for the return.

So, in that context, would a 54k state of the art stadium, with no restricted views, fully-integrated corporate facilities and in a much more prestigious area of the city not sound absolutely fantastic?

I'm sure we'd all love a monster 65k mega stadium, built to the highest standards on BMD, but that is not realistic, either financially, or where we are as a club, or where we're likely to be for decades to come.

One would imagine that the space needed for an extra 8000 fans seated in relative comfort would have to compromise something else in the design of this stadium, especially at a site as limited as the dock.

Playing Devil's Advocado here, but in that case should we be building somewhere else? Or building it on a west-east axis, even? Maybe Meis et al are correct. Maybe the prestigious location of the site is a worthwhile trade off versus a bigger capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back