Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capacity is not a massive issue for me. I think 55k would be perfect, but if the stadium design, match day experience/atmosphere and renovation of the surrounding area are world class then I can comfortably live with 52-53k. Match day revenue is not the money maker it used to be, it is completely dwarfed by TV rights so capacity is no barometer of success. I also think clubs in England are wary of behemoth stadiums, Manchester United could probably sell out 100k with a good pricing strategy but the cost vs profit that would come from an expansion like that is likely so slim over such a long period of time there's no point in doing it.

Capacity is not a massive issue for me. I think 55k would be perfect, but if the stadium design, match day experience/atmosphere and renovation of the surrounding area are world class then I can comfortably live with 52-53k. Match day revenue is not the money maker it used to be, it is completely dwarfed by TV rights so capacity is no barometer of success. I also think clubs in England are wary of behemoth stadiums, Manchester United could probably sell out 100k with a good pricing strategy but the cost vs profit that would come from an expansion like that is likely so slim over such a long period of time there's no point in doing it.

There's a lot of sense in this

If it was ALL about capacity, things would look a bit different. Doesn't mean we shouldn't make a statement...but building a place that can drive revenues 24-7, before and after the match, and just be an awesome destination point for all Everton folks (and others) would be more important.

I also do agree with one thing that Meis has said or implied. 55K packed in is a better atmosphere than 57-58 in a 60K stadium. Not everyone will agree, but think that's true.

The problem is this stadium will be our home for probably another hundred years and you are trying to project requirements into the future and not just for a limited period.

We’ve never outgrew Goodison, the only reason we have a waiting list is because of the new ground. Before Bramley Moore was mentioned we never had the sales we do now.

We’ve never outgrew Goodison, the only reason we have a waiting list is because of the new ground. Before Bramley Moore was mentioned we never had the sales we do now.
there wont be much of a waiting list after this season. there will be 8k who don't renew due to current manager situation and so the list will be used to fill these seats

No matter what way anyone tries to spin it, below 55k would not send out a message of ambition. It will send out a message that we know our place in the pecking order. Imagine building a new stadium with 10,000 less seats than Spurs’ new ground.

Granted, the Spurs new place looks pretty decent from the stuff I have seen. But they were obsessed by having 1/2 dozen seats more than Arsenal. Being in London helps a bit too.

Who by extension, were obsessed with the pitch being perfect when they built their new place. Ask many Arsenal fans if they would prefer a 52 to 55K Highbury to the Emirates, and I reckon many would prefer it.

Folk worrying that a few thousand more or less seats shows lack of ambition, or a pecking order, I dont really get.

I asked a week or 2 back; since when is building a superb new stadium on the docks of Liverpool, unambitious?

Granted, the Spurs new place looks pretty decent from the stuff I have seen. But they were obsessed by having 1/2 dozen seats more than Arsenal.

There's lots of stuff from the club now about NWHL being the biggest club-owned stadium in London. But our best stadium ITK has always said it took a fair bit of persuasion for Levy to go as high as he did with capacity. Initial plans (revealed in 2008) had a capacity of 58k. When the plans were revised a year later to include the single-tier planned capacity dropped to 56k - the club basically sacrificed 2k in capacity (mostly corporate) to create a distinct home end.

It was only with the change of architect (the Populous scheme revealed in 2015 which we're now building and which also include the NFL tie-in) that the planned capacity went above the Death Star. And they've been squeezing it upwards ever since, refining and altering during the build until we got to the 62k we now have.

So it's a bit more complex than saying we were aiming for a bigger stadium than Arsenal....but it's nice that we will have. :D

Also, Arsenal are expanding to get their stadium ABOVE 60k again. The changes they had to make to get it up to standard for disabled seating meant it's been around 59k for the last few years. They're basically adding a row or two to the front of (I think) the middle-tier. Google "Operation Saturn" (if you care).

There's lots of stuff from the club now about NWHL being the biggest club-owned stadium in London. But our best stadium ITK has always said it took a fair bit of persuasion for Levy to go as high as he did with capacity. Initial plans (revealed in 2008) had a capacity of 58k. When the plans were revised a year later to include the single-tier planned capacity dropped to 56k - the club basically sacrificed 2k in capacity (mostly corporate) to create a distinct home end.

It was only with the change of architect (the Populous scheme revealed in 2015 which we're now building and which also include the NFL tie-in) that the planned capacity went above the Death Star. And they've been squeezing it upwards ever since, refining and altering during the build until we got to the 62k we now have.

So it's a bit more complex than saying we were aiming for a bigger stadium than Arsenal....but it's nice that we will have. :D

Also, Arsenal are expanding to get their stadium ABOVE 60k again. The changes they had to make to get it up to standard for disabled seating meant it's been around 59k for the last few years. They're basically adding a row or two to the front of (I think) the middle-tier. Google "Operation Saturn" (if you care).

The point I was making is that an obsession with having a few more seats than *random local rival*, whilst comforting in a meaningless forum "bigger club" stand off, shouldnt detract from the quality of the actual, full, stadium. Looks like you might pull it off. Arsenal certainly didnt.

And dont even get me started on Wembley versus The Principality stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back