Dan Meis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a week or 2 back; since when is building a superb new stadium on the docks of Liverpool, unambitious?

Why do Newcastle fans think they are a huge club? Because they have a large stadium, that's it. They were way behind us and clubs like Villa in almost every way but because they had that ground that held internationals and had players that wanted to play in front of a large crowd, they try and lord it over us.

If we get a 52k stadium and the RS have a 60k expanded Anfield then we won't get any internationals, no tournament football. How is it that a legacy of Goodison which was once the premier go to stadium outside of Wembley? That's where we were as a club and we would still be losing ground despite the location against other clubs. I would imagine that it'll effect the amount of money we can pull in for naming rights if our new stadium is not going to be in the mix for future tournaments. It's not close to living up to only the best is good enough. That would be more like settling on a figure so we all don't have to be the best we can, make life a little easier if there are less seats to fill.

I don't mind being < 5k smaller than the 'best of the rest' as to me that puts us in and around the same ballpark of that group. But 10k less than spurs is a joke if we compare our history. Generally your stadium size is dictated by the number of fans you can pull in and what we will be saying is we are below Spurs/Arsenal/City/Liverpool And quite possibly in a few years Wolves and Villa if they have a little bit more ambition.

I still think it will be higher than low 50's but that is my view if somehow we end up with one like that.

No matter what way anyone tries to spin it, below 55k would not send out a message of ambition. It will send out a message that we know our place in the pecking order. Imagine building a new stadium with 10,000 less seats than Spurs’ new ground.

I know what you're saying, and the rest of the project would have to be absolutely brilliant for me to be happy with 52k (I'd be made up with 55k). It would have to be a fabulous stadium with the capability of generating revenue all year round and hosting major concerts, boxing and other football events.

At the end of the day, Football clubs aren't judged on the size of their stadium. If we're finishing above Spurs regularly and beating them to FA Cups etc, them having a larger stadium capacity will be absolutely meaningless. Anyway, it wouldn't be like today where we're 20k down on Man City. 52k+ would put us in the right ballpark with the rest of the top Prem clubs (except Man Utd, who are unique in size of fanbase anyway).

Why do Newcastle fans think they are a huge club? Because they have a large stadium, that's it. They were way behind us and clubs like Villa in almost every way but because they had that ground that held internationals and had players that wanted to play in front of a large crowd, they try and lord it over us.

If we get a 52k stadium and the RS have a 60k expanded Anfield then we won't get any internationals, no tournament football. How is it that a legacy of Goodison which was once the premier go to stadium outside of Wembley? That's where we were as a club and we would still be losing ground despite the location against other clubs. I would imagine that it'll effect the amount of money we can pull in for naming rights if our new stadium is not going to be in the mix for future tournaments. It's not close to living up to only the best is good enough. That would be more like settling on a figure so we all don't have to be the best we can, make life a little easier if there are less seats to fill.

I don't mind being < 5k smaller than the 'best of the rest' as to me that puts us in and around the same ballpark of that group. But 10k less than spurs is a joke if we compare our history. Generally your stadium size is dictated by the number of fans you can pull in and what we will be saying is we are below Spurs/Arsenal/City/Liverpool And quite possibly in a few years Wolves and Villa if they have a little bit more ambition.

I still think it will be higher than low 50's but that is my view if somehow we end up with one like that.

Mine is an outsider's view and all, and granted the FA have a unique brand of the weird Englishness that's hard for Yanks to understand, but if EFC/Moshiri build a world class stadium on the banks of the river Mersey, just outside of the shopping/dining/lodging district in one of the UK's larger cities, and the FA sends international/tournament games to Anfield "because it's bigger," then "what the **** do we care?"

KAGS, no matter what position they hold.

So you prefer an Emirates to a 55k BMD?

It's not about the shape of the structure though is it. Unless there is a financial restriction that says we can't build a 58-60k stadium at BMD why can't we just have that.

To answer your question I would probably take 55k at the docks over the Emirates, even though 55k is right on the limits of what I think is acceptable but I will see it as a missed opportunity for the reasons I listed in my post.

Fiorentina
Bari
Napoli
Roma/Lazio
Inter/AC

All the clubs in Serie A with bigger stadia than Juventus.

Hes gone from this

To this

Maybe cost? Strange one. I can see the issue with having empty seats now but if Moshiri has a vision of putting us up there with the best then surely that vision has to include a bigger fanbase?

Fiorentina
Bari
Napoli
Roma/Lazio
Inter/AC

All the clubs in Serie A with bigger stadia than Juventus.

I just love the old Juve example getting rolled out. Are we the biggest club in the country? Won most titles? Situated in a country where the attendance figures across the board have been falling? Had a 60+k stadium that we didn't fill so it was an obvious choice to downsize? (Even though that was a mistake as they wished they built it bigger)

If Old Trafford had something structurally wrong with the upper tiers and had to be reverted back to the 44k it was, I tend to think everyone would still call them the biggest club in the country, they would still pull in more money in sponsorship than we can ever dream of. They have nothing to prove, we have everything to prove to try and get a seat back at the top table.

Hes gone from this

To this

Maybe cost? Strange one. I can see the issue with having empty seats now but if Moshiri has a vision of putting us up there with the best then surely that vision has to include a bigger fanbase?

of course its cost.. more seats = more cost

and from what ive read today, the council might be the ones stumping up the whole 500m

Mine is an outsider's view and all, and granted the FA have a unique brand of the weird Englishness that's hard for Yanks to understand, but if EFC/Moshiri build a world class stadium on the banks of the river Mersey, just outside of the shopping/dining/lodging district in one of the UK's larger cities, and the FA sends international/tournament games to Anfield "because it's bigger," then "what the **** do we care?"

KAGS, no matter what position they hold.

Unfortunately it is not going to be world class. Of course it will be a step up over St Mary's, King Power and alike but it will still be short of the best, we aren't going to be paying top whack for the fit and finish. It will have location which is great when the area is completed but not a lot else. Those plans you have seen are for the 60k version, knock 3k off that home end and it won't look as impressive as it does at the moment. Although it doesn't seem it i'm not overly hung up on the size, if It's 58k then great, it's in the area of those 4 clubs who we are directly competing against and least it will be the largest ground in the city at the point we announce it, even if by the time it has been built it may not be.

If we gave room for expansion it wouldn't be so bad but in four years time the FA could add in some legislation that the minimum distance between the pitch and the front row has to be x metres (probably to stop hammers fans from rioting every week in a state owned building) and you could lose 3 rows like that, that would be close to 3k of seats wiped out. Or you need to have 1000 disabled spots, we just don't know what is going to happen so it would be better to be closer than not to our rivals.

And as I mentioned before if it isn't an international stadium it won't get as much publicity which could harm us when trying to negotiate sponsorship deals.

I may have been really slow on the uptake but I;ve just realised that tier wise the stands mirror Goodison Park - mind blown!

Good to see i'm not the only one that see's this. The cynic in me sees Goodison in the new stadium so without the double deckers stand those tiers have effectively been pushed back therefore increasing the footprint. Throw in the doubling of the Park End and filling in the corners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back