Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
my thoughts exactly
It's really tricky though looking at your own club under Moyes. Objectively he's doing brilliantly from the outside and has them well set up. But if that's your team and you can see how tantalisingly close it could be to making the step up if he would gamble a bit more offensively, it's a different story.

Certainly a good season for him after steadying the ship. If they keep on like that over the next season and get best of the rest, like he did so often here, then that will probably suffice for a season or two - but then what? It would be interesting to see him get backed and try and kick on whilst he still has momentum at the club. That didn't happen here, and after that he stagnated - it's my biggest unanswered what if about his time here, and would maybe go some way to answering that if it does happen there.

48 away games at Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea without a win when he was here, I wonder how many it now is with two spells at West Ham and one at Sunderland?

I wonder how many away games he won at Man Utd as well. lol
Having had a nose, Moyes record as an away manager at the four grounds in question is...

With Everton 0 wins in 48 visits.
With Man Utd 0 wins in 3 visits.
With Sunderland 0 wins in 4 visits.
With West Ham 0 wins in 10 visits.

So that's 0 wins 65 away league games at these clubs. It'll be no doubt higher if you take cup ties into account as well.

Utterly abysmal record.

It's really tricky though looking at your own club under Moyes. Objectively he's doing brilliantly from the outside and has them well set up. But if that's your team and you can see how tantalisingly close it could be to making the step up if he would gamble a bit more offensively, it's a different story.

Certainly a good season for him after steadying the ship. If they keep on like that over the next season and get best of the rest, like he did so often here, then that will probably suffice for a season or two - but then what? It would be interesting to see him get backed and try and kick on whilst he still has momentum at the club. That didn't happen here, and after that he stagnated - it's my biggest unanswered what if about his time here, and would maybe go some way to answering that if it does happen there.
Christ, they were on the verge of relegation last season. They should wind their necks in and get a clue.

He's done a tremendous job there, but he has a glass ceiling. He's a top manager for poor clubs. He gets the best out of average players. But his own negativity and self preservation means they never push on.

I'm grateful for what he did his first five years here, and I'm equally annoyed at how his second part of his tenure here panned out due to his limitations.

They beat all the teams they’re supposed to beat at home though so some on here would absolutely love that. Can’t believe I saw Anceldyce’s Everton being referenced by West Ham fans for scoring three goals away from home when apparently we can’t put a pass together and play the worst football in the league.

Reading comments above .. those poor Hammers fans must be so jealous looking at us and how a team of their quality plays such negative football, whilst we are ripping it up...

glass houses chaps...

Reading comments above .. those poor Hammers fans must be so jealous looking at us and how a team of their quality plays such negative football, whilst we are ripping it up...

glass houses chaps...
Do you think? I think that they are in a very similar position as we were under Moyes as he steadied the ship.

Plenty of nice platitudes about them, but West Ham fans will be frustrated once he hits his ceiling and they don't see any progress. Best of the rest is great when you are yo-yoing from midtable to the lower end of the table, but expectations rise and frustrations build. That's how this story goes as sure as the sky is blue.

Sounds familar.

Weren't West Ham close to odds on to be relegated this season? We will have to see how things progress but I don't think anybody can complain about the job he has done this season.

I seem to remember during pre-season he was having players sold out from under him and things looked a complete mess!

I am not a huge Moyes fan, and he deffinitely stayed on too long with us but I don't really think anyone can argue that he built us a solid team that came close to doing somehting on occasion. Sadly, ten years, occasionally getting close isn't good enough, but in one season...seriously what did WH supporters expect this season?

If WH fans now spend the next decade constantly feeling they are just a tiny step away from winning something or pushing on then maybe they have a point. For now, Moyes has done an incredible job.
I think that's fair. I don't think he'll get 10 years given that he's 57 unless he really does break the glass ceiling of the top 4 and starts winning actual trophies.

I'm not going to say that I'd eat my hat if he did win stuff, but I don't think my head would be getting cold anytime soon if I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back